AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Music (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Best download sources for Silenzio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=49791)

Robert_Anderson 04-17-2021 03:07 PM

Best download sources for Silenzio

Hey everyone, I work in Greenland, where our internet is sloooooooow, expensive, and limited. I'm looking for the best recommendations for HD download sites that are easy to use.

I also pulled all my iPod music over to JRiver, but some of the albums are broken up into songs that won't play without Quicktime or iTunes, and sometimes won't get the cover art. I was wondering if anyone has any tips.

Thanks!

crwilli 04-17-2021 03:39 PM

Depending on what format those songs are, you might be able to use JRiver or ITunes to convert them to FLAC, ALAC or even MP3...

As for download sites, I doubt any are easier than another. It’s just internet speed.

jimtranr 04-17-2021 06:33 PM

You probably know this already, but depending on which version of JRiver you have, you may be able to import the cover art from the Internet.

Right-click a track of the pertinent album you have loaded in JRiver, select "Cover Art," and if the resulting pop-up provides the option, click "Get from Internet." Doesn't always return an image (or the precise one you're looking for even if it does), but I have about an 80% "hit" rate when I've tried it.

Good luck.

Antonmb 04-17-2021 07:32 PM

Qobuz just announced they’re now live in Denmark, so since Greenland is part of the Danish Realm, perhaps it’s covered as well.
You may be able to download from Qobuz, even if you don’t have good enough internet to stream. Before my internet got upgraded last year, I was able to download from Qobuz with only a 3mb service, although downloading a hi res album took hours.

Option 2 is, if you’re location isn’t classified, you let one of us know what you want and we download and ship you a loaded drive, assuming of course that doesn’t create customs issues.

Robert_Anderson 04-18-2021 05:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antonmb (Post 1036973)
Qobuz just announced they’re now live in Denmark, so since Greenland is part of the Danish Realm, perhaps it’s covered as well.
You may be able to download from Qobuz, even if you don’t have good enough internet to stream. Before my internet got upgraded last year, I was able to download from Qobuz with only a 3mb service, although downloading a hi res album took hours.

Option 2 is, if you’re location isn’t classified, you let one of us know what you want and we download and ship you a loaded drive, assuming of course that doesn’t create customs issues.

I've been using them and HD Tracks. I won't be doing it too much because of the bandwidth, but the playback is OK. I have hard time getting them to show up with the other albums in the inventory no matter how hard I try with the functions.

Thanks to all for the tips.

cleeds 04-18-2021 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert_Anderson (Post 1036960)
... I also pulled all my iPod music over to JRiver, but some of the albums are broken up into songs that won't play without Quicktime or iTunes ...

That's something you should be able to remedy by renaming the files. There is software such as Mp3tag that may help you do that in batches.

Robert_Anderson 04-18-2021 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cleeds (Post 1036988)
That's something you should be able to remedy by renaming the files. There is software such as Mp3tag that may help you do that in batches.

Thank you! I'll check it out, hopefully it will work on FLAC files.

crwilli 04-18-2021 09:54 PM

Bob, What are the file extensions for the tracks that only play on QuickTime etc?

SCAudiophile 04-19-2021 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crwilli (Post 1037022)
Bob, What are the file extensions for the tracks that only play on QuickTime etc?

.mov (a multi format-capable container) is one I think that sticks to QT unless you also have Adobe Flash or certain Roxio apps installed.

In general for other extensions, when this happens, most can be resolved with changing "default file associations" in the operating system to invoke your preferred app. Many apps "take over" associations upon the app's install or give the user a vague option to do so and many users unwittingly say yes.

Robert_Anderson 04-19-2021 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crwilli (Post 1037022)

I'm not sure, but I will check. I worry about having too much playback software that might conflict with the JRiver E~ puts on the computers.

Thanks.