AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Turntables & Tonearms (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Help with a beginner Vinyl system (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=44178)

pete6737 10-28-2018 11:07 AM

Help with a beginner Vinyl system

Hello All
This winter, I am hoping to dip my toe in vinyl playback. I’ve built my system over the years, always wondering if I’d like spinning records.

Unfortunately, my budget for this endeavor is not the same as my digital side. I’m open to buying used.

I wonder if if I put together a beginner vinyl system that I will like the sound, especially compared to my digital side. I’d hate to spend 2-3k on a system and I never use it because the sound isn’t good.

Do you think I’ll get satisfying results at this price point, or should I give this idea up.

The main parts of my current system:
ARC GS150
ARC. REF5SE
ESOTERIC KO3x
REVEL SALON 2

Thank you for your input, Pete

Jack in Wilmington 10-28-2018 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pete6737 (Post 937622)
Hello All
This winter, I am hoping to dip my toe in vinyl playback. I’ve built my system over the years, always wondering if I’d like spinning records.

Unfortunately, my budget for this endeavor is not the same as my digital side. I’m open to buying used.

I wonder if if I put together a beginner vinyl system that I will like the sound, especially compared to my digital side. I’d hate to spend 2-3k on a system and I never use it because the sound isn’t good.

Do you think I’ll get satisfying results at this price point, or should I give this idea up.

The main parts of my current system:
ARC GS150
ARC. REF5SE
ESOTERIC KO3x
REVEL SALON 2

Thank you for your input, Pete

I feel that 2-3k would get you a better than entry level system and it should be quite satisfying. There are some fine turntables from VPI, Rega, Music Hall, and Pro-Ject just to name a few. Since your Ref 5E has a phono input that will save you money that would otherwise be spent on a phono pre.

Jdsmoke 10-28-2018 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack in Wilmington (Post 937626)
I feel that 2-3k would get you a better than entry level system and it should be quite satisfying. There are some fine turntables from VPI, Rega, Music Hall, and Pro-Ject just to name a few. Since your Ref 5E has a phono input that will save you money that would otherwise be spent on a phono pre.

I agree. $2-3k would get you a really nice set up that would compliment the system you currently have. If you are near some stores, check out the tables Jack mentioned. If you budget $1500-2000 for the table and $600-1000 for the cart you would have a nice system. I started w a low end cart and better table, then upgraded the cart as I got more into vinyl. Now the next upgrade for me is the table.

pete6737 10-28-2018 12:00 PM

Thanks for the input. My Ref5se does not have a Phonostage , so I was hoping to get an inexpensive phono stage that I could consider upgrading if the vinyl thing takes off. So I’m hoping to include the phonostage in the 2-3k. Now I think I’m pushing the envelope!

Antonmb 10-28-2018 12:43 PM

This would make a very nice system:

Rega Planar 6 tt with Ania cartridge - $2,200
Rega Fono MC Phonostage - $500

If you could stretch to about $3500 total you could go with the Rega Aria phono-stage and be very happy for some time to come.

Masterlu 10-28-2018 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antonmb (Post 937644)
This would make a very nice system:

Rega Planar 6 tt with Ania cartridge - $2,200
Rega Fono MC Phonostage - $500

If you could stretch to about $3500 total you could go with the Rega Aria phono-stage and be very happy for some time to come.

Who knows what I could do with my magic wand. :naughty:

The Lost Bears 10-28-2018 12:53 PM

2-3k will get you an entry level system. Everything is important. But I feel that the most important pieces are the phono preamp and cartridge. A cheap phono preamp will not give you the performance your after.

Before I had my Ref Phono 2se I had a Fosgate signature phono preamp. They go for around 1k used. This is a excellent highly adjustable tube phono preamp. It can handle both MM and MC carts.

I would buy a table/arm/cartridge package from a dealer. You may be able to find one that was a trade in from someone upgrading. The dealer can set everything up properly. That is very important. This way you are not overwhelmed at first and can learn as you go. If the table and cart are not setup properly, they will not sound their best. Personally I like the ClearAudio tables because of the magnetic bearing. But I don't know if their entry level tables have them.

My vinyl setup sounds better than my CD player, and my ARC Ref CD7 is quite good. I had not had a turntable in 20 years when I bought mine. I found it used at a dealer and decided to take a chance. I now feel it is one of the best things I ever did for my system. I wish I had done it years ago.

carlthess40 10-28-2018 02:05 PM

Are you kidding me. He is talking about a start up in the LP world with 2k.
You can buy a table with a phono amp in it and plug into your system. Just do some looking around online. You don’t need no $500 cart or a 3000 dollar turntable BS

Antonmb 10-28-2018 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carlthess40 (Post 937658)
You can buy a table with a phono amp in it and plug into your system. Just do some looking around online. You don’t need no $500 cart or a 3000 dollar turntable BS

Pete already has a very nice system and a budget of $2-3k. No disrespect, but for $3k he can do better than a TT with a built-in phono stage and a cheap cartridge, which will likely disappoint in comparison to what he has now and perhaps turn him off of vinyl. I believe the responses so far have been targeted at maximizing his budget for a system that won't disappoint. For $3k there are several options of good table/cartridge combos with separate phono stages, which will provide upgrade opportunities later if he falls in love with vinyl.

Mikado463 10-28-2018 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carlthess40 (Post 937658)

you obviously missed the OP's questions, for an inexpensive analog front end will do no justice.

As for the Op's question, I'm gonna buck the trend here. I'm in my mid-sixties, so I've been into analog for quite some time, built up a modest collection of LP's and a respectable system to play them back on. If I were to consider starting over would I ...... no way !

IMO, analog done right and to keep up with your digital front end can barely be done for 4 figures. Simply put you'll need TT, tone arm, cartridge, IC's, phono pre, recording cleaning gear and chemicals and the most important ..... LP's !!

if you wanna put something together just to say you jumped on the band wagon, sure you can do that for 2-3k, I just don't see the point.