AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Magico (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=134)
-   -   Magico A5: Stereophile Loudspeaker and Component of the Year (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=50554)

JoeN 11-21-2021 08:56 AM

Magico A5: Stereophile Loudspeaker and Component of the Year

Magico A5 won both the:

Stereophile 2021 Loudspeaker of the Year

Stereophile 2021 Component of the Year

This is the second year in a row that Magico has taken Loudspeaker of the Year. The A5 won by 10 points over its closest contender. Impressive.

As to Component of the Year, Stereophile states, "The most important thing is that it's a very good speaker. But it's also a great product..." The A5 won by 4 points over its closest contender. A solid win!

Congrats to Magico for continuing to develop speakers that let the music play on in excellence.

audioguy3107 11-21-2021 02:17 PM

I’d really like to take a listen to the A5…….this seems to be one of those audio components that don’t have many detractors. It’s usually pretty easy to hear differing opinions of various speakers or components, but the A5 seems to be universally loved across the board.

- Buck

Delija 11-21-2021 02:38 PM

All, except the look. For its price bracket it's... let's just say "not pretty" :)
Especially with the grilles...

https://i.postimg.cc/fL1pwbNL/a5.jpg

JoeN 11-21-2021 02:46 PM

While the A5 only comes in black, it is a beautiful finish on the speakers. IMO, the pictures online don't do it justice. The A3s have the same finish. But beauty is in the eye of the beholder ... so not everyone will agree.

bart 11-21-2021 03:09 PM

Joe..., we can all sense you've fallen in love with them.
So when are you finally going to order?! :D

hdvidguy 11-21-2021 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeN (Post 1049224)
While the A5 only comes in black, it is a beautiful finish on the speakers. IMO, the pictures online don't do it justice. The A3s have the same finish. But beauty is in the eye of the beholder ... so not everyone will agree.

I love the look of them. Sure not curves like other speakers, they truly make a statement.

JoeN 11-21-2021 04:48 PM

The A5's aren't large enough for me. I need something a little larger. But I do believe they are an incredible value for the $$$.

I'm mailing Ivan a check to become a subscriber/member - whatever it is. I will post pics of my new system after that takes place.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bart (Post 1049227)
Joe..., we can all sense you've fallen in love with them.
So when are you finally going to order?! :D

hdvidguy 11-21-2021 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeN (Post 1049236)
The A5's aren't large enough for me. I need something a little larger. But I do believe they are an incredible value for the $$$.

I'm mailing Ivan a check to become a subscriber/member - whatever it is. I will post pics of my new system after that takes place.

Seen them and they are somewhat large. Guessing you have a really big room?

JoeN 11-21-2021 05:39 PM

Hi,

The Magico A5s and just a tad larger than our present Magico A3s. The A5s though are a much better speaker. Wow!

After acquiring the A3s we moved. My present room is a Great Room. Lots of area to fill. The new speakers will be larger in their overall width and depth, but just barely in their height. Surprisingly, the A3s almost filled our room but we could tell they were a little stressed in doing so. Our new EMM DAC and EMM PRE (replacing our Pass XP-22 and Luxman d-08u) also revealed some of their limitations. So, the new speakers will be meeting several needs in the new system.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hdvidguy (Post 1049238)
Seen them and they are somewhat large. Guessing you have a really big room?

clpetersen 11-21-2021 06:26 PM

The Magic A-line is a great speaker range. We demo-ed several speakers for a living room system this year. Majico, DynAudio, Focal, Revel, ATC, B&W Diamond (D4).

I like the Magico A1 on the dedicated Sound Anchor stands the most. Key was a very even dispersion for a living/reading room - not a single dedicated sweet spot.

But, not very decor friendly, even with mid-century modern. Revel won out, no regrets.

(on the stands, the A1 weighed out at 125 pounds each. Holy Moly).