AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Krell (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Krell Foundation Processor (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=19821)

thezaks 03-11-2013 03:59 PM

Krell Foundation Processor

I just spoke to the folks at Krell, and they mentioned that the final tests have completed on the Foundation Processor and that it's being shipped out to several dealers today. We should know more over the next several weeks, as dealers get them in and try them out. It comes with the ARES automatic room equilization feature, which will be interesting to try. I have not yet noticed a Manual on the website - hopefully soon!

I'll be curious as to how it sounds - for HDMI - in comparison with the S-1200. It seems that the Marantz AV8801 is a hot item, so I'll also be interested in how it compares with that, as well as the similarily priced McIntosh MX121.

Dave

thezaks 03-19-2013 09:00 PM

I don't think it will do IIz, since I have not seen that advertised. I'm wondering if the display and the blue light can be turned off. I'll probably try calling Krell to find out.

Dave

thezaks 03-20-2013 12:00 PM

Well, I found out that the display will turn off after a certain amount of time (by default), but the blue light in the center will not turn off. Unless I can open the unit and disconnect the blue light, this might be a deal breaker for me. My equipment is at the front of my room, so I don't want a blue led staring at me. Unfortunately, it doesn't look easy to cover up.

Dave

thezaks 03-20-2013 07:46 PM

I spoke to the folks at Krell today, and they told me that the blue light is something that they researched and considered for folks like me. It is not supposed to be a distraction. It will be interesting to find out what users think of it.

Dave

thezaks 03-26-2013 12:47 PM

The Krell website now has the Specs, as well as the User Manual. Looks pretty good! In fact the S/N ratio and THD look really good. Unfortunately, I won't be getting one of these, as I just purchased an S-1200. I'm looking forward though to reading about those that get the Foundation and their thoughts on it.

Dave

Sonic 04-11-2013 07:45 PM

Was considering switching from the Cary Cinema 12 to the Foundation. Thoughts? Advice?

thezaks 04-11-2013 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonic (Post 477437)
Was considering switching from the Cary Cinema 12 to the Foundation. Thoughts? Advice?

Hard to say. I spoke to a Cary/Krell dealer, prior to the release of the Foundation. He mentioned that the Krell S-1200 is about 20-30% better than the Cinema 12, which makes the Cary a terrific value. The Foundation isn't going to be as good as the Krell S-1200, so it's hard to say how it will be sonically vs the Cinema 12. However, if Krell is successful in achieving their goals for the Foundation, it should have a several advantages over the Cary:

1) Auto EQ
2) An HDMI interface without hiccups.
3) More HDMI inputs.
4) Other features?

Dave

Sonic 04-11-2013 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thezaks (Post 477461)
Hard to say. I spoke to a Cary/Krell dealer, prior to the release of the Foundation. He mentioned that the Krell S-1200 is about 20-30% better than the Cinema 12, which makes the Cary a terrific value. The Foundation isn't going to be as good as the Krell S-1200, so it's hard to say how it will be sonically vs the Cinema 12. However, if Krell is successful in achieving their goals for the Foundation, it should have a several advantages over the Cary:

1) Auto EQ
2) An HDMI interface without hiccups.
3) More HDMI inputs.
4) Other features?

Dave

Thanks for the input Dave. I know all about those hiccups. They can get a bit annoying.

But the other thing that I wasn't aware of with the Cary was that I cannot integrate it with a two channel preamp without RCA's. I don't know if that is the reason why I hear subtle noise in my mains when switching to the C12 for movies but it seems to be. My center & surrounds are virtually silent.

Either way, the Krell seems to be among the best but there is no denying the value of the Cary. Its a fully balanced design which is rare for sub-$10K processors; and that spec is nowhere to found on Cary's site. That;s pretty odd since it a huge selling point.

LordoftheRingsEE 04-12-2013 12:06 AM

Krell, and Cary; which Auto Calibration and EQ system are they using?

Sonic 04-12-2013 02:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LordoftheRingsEE (Post 477524)

I forget with the Cary and unsure with the Krell - I manually calibrate anyway; i think the results are much better.

thezaks 04-12-2013 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LordoftheRingsEE (Post 477524)

Krell uses the ARES (Automatic Room Equalization System), which can be programmed to only affect lower frequencies, if preferred. Information can be found on the Krell website.

I don't believe the Cinema 12 has any Auto EQ system. They have an auto setup that sets the delays, distances, and levels, but as I understand it, it doesn't work that well. I think even the Cary manual recommends manual setup.

Dave

Sonic 04-12-2013 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thezaks (Post 477733)
Krell uses the ARES (Automatic Room Equalization System), which can be programmed to only affect lower frequencies, if preferred. Information can be found on the Krell website.

I don't believe the Cinema 12 has any Auto EQ system. They have an auto setup that sets the delays, distances, and levels, but as I understand it, it doesn't work that well. I think even the Cary manual recommends manual setup.

Dave

You're right Dave, the Cary manual does in fact recommend manual setup. Another thing that I found odd is that with the auto setup, you have to set full range speakers to small otherwise you loose the subwoofer. That makes no sense at all; its a completely separate channel. Luckily there was no mention of this in manual setup so I went ahead and set my mains to full and the sub was left in tact. The Cary isn't without its peculiarities.

Krell has always been a shining star of mine, hence my interest in the Foundation. State of the art audio processing (especially with movies for me) seems to be on their resume.

rmur 05-09-2013 09:38 AM

Dave,

I have been looking to upgrade my Krell HTS 7.1 to get the new HD formats, I really like the sound of the HTS and was looking at the S-1200 and Foundation, any thoughts on how your S-1200 compares to those components?

I have already looked at the Krell EVO 707, but the size, heat, and price made me look at something cheaper, so I had purchased the Marantz AV8801 and installed it in my system, but unlike the more integrated bubble of sound from the Krell HTS where the speakers just vanish, the AV8801 sound was more direct and not as well integrated. I sold the AV8801 to a friend and he loves it, so go figure.

Do you think the Foundation is more in line with the Krell S-1000 or Showcase components?

Ron

thezaks 05-09-2013 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rmur (Post 489944)
Dave,

I have been looking to upgrade my Krell HTS 7.1 to get the new HD formats, I really like the sound of the HTS and was looking at the S-1200 and Foundation, any thoughts on how your S-1200 compares to those components?

I have already looked at the Krell EVO 707, but the size, heat, and price made me look at something cheaper, so I had purchased the Marantz AV8801 and installed it in my system, but unlike the more integrated bubble of sound from the Krell HTS where the speakers just vanish, the AV8801 sound was more direct and not as well integrated. I sold the AV8801 to a friend and he loves it, so go figure.

Do you think the Foundation is more in line with the Krell S-1000 or Showcase components?

Ron

Hi Ron,

Great questions! The S-1200 is my first Krell processor, so I won't be able to compare to previous Krell processors. From what I understand though, this Foundation is going to be something special. Not quite an S-1200, but I'm betting it will have the bubble of sound you are looking for.

Dave

Masterlu 05-09-2013 05:03 PM

rmur... Welcome! :wave:

Rtan 06-28-2013 01:41 PM

Anyone else has latest information on this processor? I'm deciding which ht processor to replace my av7005. Mx121 is on my radar too. But Krell seems to have more advance features than mx121. Any thoughts?

rgiorgio 07-15-2013 12:51 AM

I have a Marantz 7002 i want to replace with Krell Foundation or Marantz 8801 to pair with my Krell Showcase 7.1 amp which i adore and love. Anyone?

The Mac mx121 seems to be a rebadged Marantz. They admit its all Marantz parts inside but not rebadged. D & M Holdings is now Denon, Marantz, & McIntosh. No sharing?

mv_cinema 08-06-2013 03:46 AM

It's funny that people here keep on telling....the Foundation is not as good as the 1200.
May i ask why?

Between 2008/2010 many Krell 1200 users trade their processors for Denon AVP-A1HD, because Denon had better DSP's.

Now these days i read onthe web that the Foundation makes the Denon look like a playground toy (exagerated in my opinion) but it might have some truth on it....

I think the 1200 users are trying to convince them selves that the 1200 is better because it was more expensive at the time...:nono:

Well, wasn't also Denon DVD-A1UD and Mcintosh MVP881 Reference Blu Ray Players and now a $1000 dollars Marantz kicks their but?? Same thing....

thezaks 08-06-2013 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mv_cinema (Post 519037)
It's funny that people here keep on telling....the Foundation is not as good as the 1200.
May i ask why?

Between 2008/2010 many Krell 1200 users trade their processors for Denon AVP-A1HD, because Denon had better DSP's.

Now these days i read onthe web that the Foundation makes the Denon look like a playground toy (exagerated in my opinion) but it might have some truth on it....

I think the 1200 users are trying to convince them selves that the 1200 is better because it was more expensive at the time...:nono:

Well, wasn't also Denon DVD-A1UD and Mcintosh MVP881 Reference Blu Ray Players and now a $1000 dollars Marantz kicks their but?? Same thing....

The Krell folks will tell you that the 1200 is better for both audio and video than the Foundation. If you'd like to know why it's better, I'd suggest giving them a call. They are really nice folks and would be happy to explain the differences.

Dave

mv_cinema 08-06-2013 01:29 PM

Nahhhh....they are just trying to deny their frustration....lol
Just kidding, i am not trying to disrespect anyone, just discuss this. But Foundation is a nice surprise....
I hope it will be a step foward to me as i am replacing a Pioneer Susano for the Krell Foundation + Krell S-1500.
Hope not to regreet :)))

Masterlu 08-06-2013 01:40 PM

mv_cinema... Welcome! :wave:

mv_cinema 08-06-2013 01:58 PM

Tank you so much :)
I believe we talked in the past, because you had a New MLD7020 at the time and i was interested on it :)

thezaks 08-06-2013 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mv_cinema (Post 519130)
Nahhhh....they are just trying to deny their frustration....lol
Just kidding, i am not trying to disrespect anyone, just discuss this. But Foundation is a nice surprise....
I hope it will be a step foward to me as i am replacing a Pioneer Susano for the Krell Foundation + Krell S-1500.
Hope not to regreet :)))

You will like the S-1500 for sure (I have one), and it's sounding like the Foundation is a home run too!

Dave

Doug Lax 08-06-2013 07:51 PM

:GrpWelcome::GrpWelcome::GrpWelcome::GrpWelcome:We lcome mv

mv_cinema 08-07-2013 02:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug Lax (Post 519226)
:GrpWelcome::GrpWelcome::GrpWelcome::GrpWelcome:We lcome mv

Tank you so much

mv_cinema 08-07-2013 02:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thezaks (Post 519217)
You will like the S-1500 for sure (I have one), and it's sounding like the Foundation is a home run too!

Dave

I sincerly hope so...i am upgrading my Pioneer SC-09TX that is a machine of respect for the Foundation + S-1500...

i also saw today that the Krell might be a rebadged Emotiva and still uses old DSP's.... well people sometimes tank non sense but i have to investigate this....

Rtan 08-07-2013 12:22 PM

Hi Dave...Good to see you here. I know Krell Foundation is not popular here in AA family. But after listening to both MX121 and Krell Foundation at my dealer's set up, I was sold and purchased Krell Foundation.

I know we talked about your S1200u but a little to much for what I want to spend on an HT processor. Krell Foundation is coming soon to replace my 2yr old Marantz av7005.

But I did not get a chance to compare S1200 and Krell Foundation. My dealer did not have S1200 on demo at the time.

mv_cinema 08-07-2013 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rtan (Post 519419)
Hi Dave...Good to see you here. I know Krell Foundation is not popular here in AA family. But after listening to both MX121 and Krell Foundation at my dealer's set up, I was sold and purchased Krell Foundation.

I know we talked about your S1200u but a little to much for what I want to spend on an HT processor. Krell Foundation is coming soon to replace my 2yr old Marantz av7005.

But I did not get a chance to compare S1200 and Krell Foundation. My dealer did not have S1200 on demo at the time.

Apologize my question, but why did you bought a Krell for HT since you have an MX-150?
Well some users say the Foundation beats even the MX-151...

thezaks 08-07-2013 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rtan (Post 519419)

Hi Ron,

I can't wait to hear what you think of the Foundation in your own system - especially vs the AV7005. Let us know, once you get it and get some time on it.

Dave

rgiorgio 08-08-2013 10:18 PM

Disappointed with the MX121. McIntosh admits its all Marantz parts but says it is not a rebagded Marantz. I too will purchase the Krell Foundation as soon as someone gets one and reports back. While it is affordable for a Krell, the new HDMI 2.0 concerns me. How long of a life will all these new HDMI 1.4b processors and receivers have?

mv_cinema 08-09-2013 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rgiorgio (Post 519803)
Disappointed with the MX121. McIntosh admits its all Marantz parts but says it is not a rebagded Marantz. I too will purchase the Krell Foundation as soon as someone gets one and reports back. While it is affordable for a Krell, the new HDMI 2.0 concerns me. How long of a life will all these new HDMI 1.4b processors and receivers have?

Mcintosh was never appropriate for Home Theater, not even with the MX-151...
Krell is another reality, and what you are looking for is dynamics, and that you get with Krell :thumbsup:

mv_cinema 08-09-2013 02:32 PM

I was looking to buy the Foundation, but, and i hate to re-think specially when i am conviced, but i will keep my Susano, and wait a bit more and buy the S-1200 and the 1500 as Amplifier, or Stereo 302's.

Well, reason is that after analyse it better the Krell Foundation is not as good as i tought....

Rtan 08-09-2013 10:54 PM

Krell foundation is here. I will set it up this Sunday.

S1200 and mx151 will definitely performs better than foundation. It's too bad my dealer did not have any of the two for demo.

rgiorgio 08-10-2013 10:08 PM

Awesome! Please report back. Id like to place my order this week.

Rtan 08-11-2013 01:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Took me a while programming KF it's not as easy as reading the manual, kid you not. But it's worth the effort.

Wow! Krell foundation is up and running for 2 hours now in 2 channel set up. So far its intoxicating. I'm using my oppo95 xlr connection between KF.

It's a different experience than my c50. C50 is more warm but not as detail and dynamic. KF is all there except the warm texture of the music. May be it will get better after 25 hours of playing time. Dealer recommended.

Midrange and bass are superb! Remote is solid but no back lite, sucks. Doesn't have onscreen display when programming but not a big deal the panels digits are large enough to see from my sitting position. More to come. HT to follow later. I'm going to let it warmup.

Music is getting better while I'm typing this. Man... Marantz will not compete with KF that's my initial thoughts.

Attachment 28627

Masterlu 08-11-2013 01:14 PM

Very Nice! Congrad's

http://www.audioaficionado.org/attac...3054333468.jpg

Rtan 08-11-2013 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 520531)
Very Nice! Congrad's

Thank you Ivan. New toy new experience! Krell and Mc combo. So far so good.

rgiorgio 08-11-2013 11:37 PM

While there is no On Screen Display, I read somewhere on here there is an app you can download to setup the Foundation. ???

Rtan 08-12-2013 01:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rgiorgio (Post 520672)
While there is no On Screen Display, I read somewhere on here there is an app you can download to setup the Foundation. ???

Don't know the answer why no onscreen display. Will call Krell tomorrow and find out. Have a lot of questions for them regarding HT programming.

So far, really please with the 2 channel performance. Background is blacker than c50 and marantz av7005. Very well balance and detailed. Can't believe what I'm hearing now. This is huge upgrade for me.

jeffkrag 08-15-2013 11:12 AM

So the overall strengths of the Foundation as preamp trump the warmth of the C50? Just curious. I came very close to going with two box solution with Mac C50 and Marantz av 8801. I picked up the av8801 first, but unlike many, just couldn't warm up to its sound. While i wouldnt have had to deal with it in 2ch, i didnt care for it in mch, and i really like my BR and DVD concerts. Even with movies I wasn't thrilled. Maybe it was just me and perhaps an inability to properly set up the Marantz. In any event, I broke down and bought the Foundations big brother, the Krell S1200 because i could not wait for the Foundation to be released. Al I can say is wow, the S1200 as a preamp is fantastic, and absolutely blows away the Marantz (as one would hope given the price differential). I sometimes wonder how a standalone preamp would sound comparatively, hence my question on the C50 vs the Foundation. Glad you are enjoying it. Seems like Krell has hit a homerun with the Foundation.