AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   General Audio Discussion (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   Fidelity Angst (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=51346)

W9TR 07-07-2022 07:52 AM

Fidelity Angst

I found this to be an interesting article. It reminded my very much of threads on this and other forums on optimizing digital audio playback. The casual observer would have no idea what is being discussed.

https://reallifemag.com/fidelity-angst/

crwilli 07-07-2022 01:02 PM

It’s a good reminder to stop and smell the roses (listen to the music)…

clpetersen 07-07-2022 04:16 PM

Great article! Thanks for sharing (and, yes, I had to look up onanistic).

Speaking of angst, Tom, did you ever build that linear supply?

W9TR 07-08-2022 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clpetersen (Post 1063573)
Great article! Thanks for sharing (and, yes, I had to look up onanistic).

Speaking of angst, Tom, did you ever build that linear supply?

Yes, I built a couple of them last winter. My digital front end is now powered by all linear supplies with multiple stages of regulation - starting with the optical Ethernet transceiver, the access point, my homemade USB de crapifier, the works.

This is where I’m supposed to say it made a world of difference with more depth, tonality and “air around the notes”, whateverthehell that’s supposed to mean. :) But it didn’t.

I’ve also measured a lot of popular liner supplies from the likes of Keces, Uptone, SBooster, etc. some of them are not very good. I’m not going to name names because that will get people all butt-hurt. :)

W9TR 07-08-2022 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crwilli (Post 1063561)
It’s a good reminder to stop and smell the roses (listen to the music)…

I have pretty much stepped off the merry-go-round and am enjoying the systems I’ve assembled. I’ve discovered a lot of great new music and don’t feel the need to make any changes. But Aida’s would be a nice upgrade from my Futira’s, and maybe something from dCS will get my digital front end sound as good as my analog one. :)

clpetersen 07-08-2022 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by W9TR (Post 1063594)
Yes, I built a couple of them last winter. My digital front end is now powered by all linear supplies with multiple stages of regulation -

apologies for hijacking the thread a bit -

I purchased the parts for a supply to replace all the various wall-warts on the digital front and get better power regulation (for what that is worth).
So, a triggered soft-start, followed by Mean-Well switchers, followed by Analog Devices LDO regulators. Input will be commercial grade filtered power inlet module to keep switcher noise off the lines.

Main goal is to have everything powered off when system is shutdown and clean up 5 wall warts, not so much for improved performance, but I'll take it.

Still in a box awaiting some free time.

What was your approach?

FreddieFerric 07-09-2022 06:20 PM

Lot of words in that. I'll leave it at "quest for presence."

W9TR 07-11-2022 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clpetersen (Post 1063599)
apologies for hijacking the thread a bit -

I purchased the parts for a supply to replace all the various wall-warts on the digital front and get better power regulation (for what that is worth).
So, a triggered soft-start, followed by Mean-Well switchers, followed by Analog Devices LDO regulators. Input will be commercial grade filtered power inlet module to keep switcher noise off the lines.

Main goal is to have everything powered off when system is shutdown and clean up 5 wall warts, not so much for improved performance, but I'll take it.

Still in a box awaiting some free time.

What was your approach?

Excellent! Glad to see some DIY here. Good luck with it and enjoy the journey.

My approach is totally custom. Low flux density r-core mains transformers, choke input filters, big caps, and two stages of linear regulation.

r042wal 07-12-2022 12:33 AM

Great article. Thanks for sharing it. We fail to see the forrest because we are blinded by all the trees.