AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Cables Galore (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Speaker cables of different length (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=904)

1KW 05-21-2009 01:49 PM

Speaker cables of different length

I have to ask a question regarding different length's of speaker cable. I am in the process of moving all my equipment to the side wall of my listening room and this means that one speaker length will be twice as long as the other. I am also planning on cleaning things up a bit by putting the bulk of the speaker cables behind the wall. This raised the question of differences of resistance between the 2 speakers and so my question is will this be a problem ? I know that transparent has a inwall speaker system ; the HP14-2 was recommended to me along with a HPB network filter which is supposed to be made for situations like mine. Any comments, recommendations welcomed.

jdandy 05-21-2009 04:10 PM

David.......I would suggest you keep both speaker cables the exact same length.

1KW 05-21-2009 04:13 PM

I can't keep them the same length without having the speaker wire closest to the equipment all coiled up, that is the trade off of not having anything between my 2 speakers.

jdandy 05-21-2009 04:26 PM

David.......Can you take the excess length from the one speaker and route it in and out of a blank wall plate, so that the excess cable is in the wall cavity between studs?

jdandy 05-21-2009 05:09 PM

David.......What lengths of speaker cable are you talking about?

US Blues 05-21-2009 05:12 PM

If the cables are a different length the electrons from one MC501 will reach one speaker before the electrons from the other MC501 reach their speaker, resulting in a slight time smear/phase anomaly. :thought:

Haurock 05-21-2009 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1KW (Post 15988)
I can't keep them the same length without having the speaker wire closest to the equipment all coiled up, that is the trade off of not having anything between my 2 speakers.

I'd rather coil the wire and have the same length then have different lenghts of speaker wires. I've always been told different lengths is a no no. Now if you're talking just a few inches then it probably is not a big issue.. but if we're talking several feet... :no: I wouldn't do it.

Masterlu 05-21-2009 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Haurock (Post 16002)
I'd rather coil the wire and have the same length then have different lenghts of speaker wires. I've always been told different lengths is a no no. Now if you're talking just a few inches then it probably is not a big issue.. but if we're talking several feet... :no: I wouldn't do it.

+1 don't have uneven speaker cables. :nono:

Haurock 05-21-2009 06:04 PM

as a matter of fact... I currently have 4 meters of speaker wire and I am using only about 2.. the other 2 meters is coiled on both sides!!!!... Yeah yeah.. .I'm looking to for shorter speaker cables... I'd cut mine.. but you don't do that to Nordost.. .:no:

salmtpa 05-21-2009 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1KW (Post 15962)
I have to ask a question regarding different length's of speaker cable. I am in the process of moving all my equipment to the side wall of my listening room and this means that one speaker length will be twice as long as the other. I am also planning on cleaning things up a bit by putting the bulk of the speaker cables behind the wall. This raised the question of differences of resistance between the 2 speakers and so my question is will this be a problem ? I know that transparent has a inwall speaker system ; the HP14-2 was recommended to me along with a HPB network filter which is supposed to be made for situations like mine. Any comments, recommendations welcomed.

Resistance isn't going to be an issue, even if the cable lengths were different by tens of feet. In general it's best to keep them the same length to maintain phase correlation. However, Transparent does some special things with their networks and maybe they compensate for the phase delta using different length runs. Call Demos Dadiotes at Transparent, (207) 284-1100. I've emailed him before and gotten good info from him.