AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Analog Pressings (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=170)
-   -   D-to-D LPs (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=49069)

Formerly YB-2 11-25-2020 08:53 AM

D-to-D LPs

A source of direct-to-disc LPs. Little spendy for music I'm not familiar with from groups I've never heard of.
https://the.supersense.com/collections/record-editions

Let us know if you try one.

JDCheek 11-25-2020 11:05 AM

I would love to get feedback on these. I’m a big fan of Sheffield labs from the 80’s.

PHC1 11-25-2020 12:18 PM

Glenn, they are probably of excellent quality as far as vinyl goes and for that kind of money but are you sure that the musical offerings are your taste? I see a lot of alternative metal, Indie rock (of the high energy variety) and country blues. There is one album that is jazz guitar.

I would listen to the bands first on Tidal. I could be wrong but I can't imagine you being into Triggerfinger or Wild Evel and the Trashbones.... :scratch2:

bart 11-25-2020 12:41 PM

Glenn, it's only 277€ for an LP.
I dare doubt your commitment to this hobby! :D

Like Serge said, I would try them first via a streaming service (price of a year subscription is less than 277€...)

Formerly YB-2 11-25-2020 08:49 PM

Bart - my feeling about streaming is about like yours concerning vinyl.
I do have all the pieces to stream......... but just can't get enthused enough to actually put them together and figure out the software - one of my least favorite things to do. Did rip all my CDs to FLAC files last winter. Maybe I'll do more this winter.

W9TR 11-25-2020 08:59 PM

D-to-D LPs

It’s super hard to be a musician in a direct-to-disc environment with no limiting. The Sheffield records are my only reference here. The musicians seem constrained and not able to really open up. Great sound and mediocre musicianship.

And I’m not paying 277 euros for a rekerd!

tima 11-26-2020 06:40 AM

This year there was release of a couple top-notch classical performances on direct-to-disc vinyl. These particular two were limited editions and likely sold out by now.

One is Smetana's Má vlast from conductor Jakob Hrusa and the Bamberg Symphony. 45rpm 3 Discs on the Accentus label; exclusively on vinyl, limited to 1111 copies. here

The other is Bernhard Haitink's farewell performance with the Berlin Philharmonic of Bruckner's 7th Symphony . 2 LPs on the BPO's own label, limited to 1884 copies. here

Both came in lavish box sets. Superb sound for each.

So D2D quality classical continues!

tima 11-26-2020 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bart (Post 1022478)
Like Serge said, I would try them first via a streaming service (price of a year subscription is less than 277€...)

Is D2D vinyl available through digital media?

bart 11-26-2020 09:54 AM

Tim, sometimes it is, but maybe the ones I find are older recordings.
I often look at Jim's D2D posts (ehoove), and then I look for their digital counterpart on Qobuz, and sometimes I find them.

@ Glenn: I know vinyl records can sound bloody good. My friend, who designed my tube amps, has a fantastic set-up, and the sound from his special pressings is amazing. But I decided to restrict myself to one route: the best digital I can afford. And I'm quite happy with it so far.

crwilli 11-26-2020 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bart (Post 1022609)
Tim, sometimes it is, but maybe the ones I find are older recordings.

I often look at Jim's D2D posts (ehoove), and then I look for their digital counterpart on Qobuz, and sometimes I find them.

@ Glenn: I know vinyl records can sound bloody good. My friend, who designed my tube amps, has a fantastic set-up, and the sound from his special pressings is amazing. But I decided to restrict myself to one route: the best digital I can afford. And I'm quite happy with it so far.

+1