AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Infinity Speakers (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=165)
-   -   Trouble shooting help? (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=28798)

crwilli 10-29-2014 07:59 AM

Trouble shooting help?

I am getting an intermittent rattle in the right woofer column of my Betas. It sometimes happens at higher levels and of course, when there is high levels of deep bass. However, I cannot always reproduce it even under identical circumstances.

So is it in the Servo woofer or in the servo EQ controller or perhaps something else?

Could it be temperature related? Eg after they are driven for a while?

I appreciate these are old and few if any of you have ever seen them or heard them.

Craig

David S. 10-29-2014 10:49 AM

Awesome speakers! I spent hours and hours listening to Betas at a shop down in Orlando many years back.

Any chance you can isolate it to just one woofer in the column? It certainly could be a servo related issue, but possibly one or more drivers has a slightly sagging suspension due to age? If that turns out to be the case, you might be able to remove the offending driver & re-mount it after rotating it 180 degrees.

Hope you get everything back to perfect, and enjoy them for many more years!

crwilli 10-29-2014 11:47 AM

Yeah, duh, I will switch the column sides! Good idea. Thanks!

crwilli 10-31-2014 09:11 PM

I found another track, level, etc combination where my right column was displaying an intermittent 'pop' so I switched the columns and played that track over and over again. Geesh, the pop never came back.
Soo, I am just listening to music and not looking for gremlins. Oh the joy of 25 yr old speakers!

Sent from my iPad using A.Aficionado

cmalak 10-31-2014 09:14 PM

Does it happen when you play both digital and LPs or only LPs?

crwilli 10-31-2014 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmalak (Post 647414)
Does it happen when you play both digital and LPs or only LPs?

interesting question Cyril but I haven't played an LP since I got my Silenzio. :)

cmalak 10-31-2014 09:33 PM

I ask because sometimes, you will get acoustic feedback from the TT that causes the woofer bins to rumble like crazy in which case you might need to either try isolating the table better or using a subsonic filter but it sounds like it's not TT related. Thought it might be worth a try :D

crwilli 10-31-2014 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmalak (Post 647423)
I ask because sometimes, you will get acoustic feedback from the TT that causes the woofer bins to rumble like crazy in which case you might need to either try isolating the table better or using a subsonic filter but it sounds like it's not TT related. Thought it might be worth a try :D

great minds think alike. I already have the high pass filter at 30 Hz to avoid the issue with LP rumble. But this isn't rumble, it is an intermittent pop. Thanks for trying!

cmalak 10-31-2014 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crwilli (Post 647426)
great minds think alike. I already have the high pass filter at 30 Hz to avoid the issue with LP rumble. But this isn't rumble, it is an intermittent pop. Thanks for trying!

You're 10 steps ahead of me :D Good luck. Hope you can find the source of the issue and rectify :thumbsup:

Rha 11-17-2015 10:42 PM

Question for crwilli… did you solve your problem? I developed a buzz in one woofer tower that I've tracked to the Servo crossover. Changed out amps and the buzz remained. Switched woofer towers and the buzz stayed on the same side. Switched leads from the Servo and the buzz switched. Looking for any guidance you might give. Thanks.