AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Shunyata Research (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   Shunyata Venom 14 Digital Videos (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=46282)

Puma Cat 07-19-2019 05:20 PM

Shunyata Venom 14 Digital Videos

I made a couple of "home movies" demonstrating the noise reduction capability of the new Shunyata Research Venom 14 Digital power cables.

These new NR-series of power cables were specifically designed for use with DACs, disc players, network bridges, streamers, NAS', routers as well as power supplies for digital components and digital "front ends".

Video 1 demonstrating using a single V14D in series and then in parallel:
https://youtu.be/42hmSXhiblc

Video 2 demonstrating the addition of a second V14D to a common power strip:
https://youtu.be/-X9gYpmtlxE

The new Venom 14 Digital cables were a development that spun out of Shunyata Research's sister company for medical imaging, Clear Image Scientific, and utilize the same technology in Shunyata's new line of Venom NR-V10 and V12 power cords. So, you can expect comparable levels of noise suppression with those products when used with your amplifcation components and power distribution systems.

jdandy 07-19-2019 05:34 PM

Stephen.......Excellent videos. Quite impressive results from the Shunyata Venom power cables.

jzzmusician 07-19-2019 05:40 PM

Double cool. How much are the cables? And would it be recommend for a DAC?

thanks for posting,

Bob

Puma Cat 07-19-2019 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdandy (Post 973499)
Stephen.......Excellent videos. Quite impressive results from the Shunyata Venom power cables.

Thanks, Dan!

They're impressive with the impact they have in the stereo system as well.

The Venom NR-10 and V12 have also made quite a significant improvement to my system, both with respect to performance and also with respect to the quaity of the presentation.

Puma Cat 07-19-2019 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jzzmusician (Post 973501)

thanks for posting,

Bob

The are very reasonably priced at...$195. :thumbsup:

BTW, the NR "cylinder" on the C7-version plug may not fit into the C7 receptacles of some devices, e.g. my Mac Mini when an Ethernet cable is installed. The diameter on the plug cylinder is too large; and there's not enough space between both receptables for both to fit There may also be a problem when fitting the C7 plug into an Apple TV, as well.

No worries, though! One can order a "custom" Venom 14 Digital with the NR filter module built into the AC plug end (the end that goes into the AC mains). The business end of the plug will then be a normal-sized, small C7 or C7P plug, and fit just fine into your devices.

BTW, these power cords really take the video image quality of your HDTV to another level as well. And, as they also reduce the noise of anything else that is plugged into the same power distributor as the HDTV, plugging one in to power your TV will also reduce the noise and improve the sound quality on your AVR as well if its plugged into the same power distributor. :thumbsup:

Cheers.

kennyb123 07-19-2019 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puma Cat (Post 973497)
I made a couple of "home movies" demonstrating the noise reduction capability of the new Shunyata Research Venom 14 Digital power cables.

Thanks for sharing those videos!

Ken

Puma Cat 07-19-2019 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jzzmusician (Post 973501)

thanks for posting,

Bob

Hi Bob,
Yes, you could use these for your DAC, but based on input I've read from Grant regarding various classes of power cables for use with DACs, if your budget allows, I'd recommend using the new Venom NR-V12 for an extra $155, or the NR-V10 for your DAC if either fits within your budget. I'm presently using the NR-V12 for my DAC, and its VERY impressive. The Schiit Gumby took a big step up in overall sound quality when I installed it.

Puma Cat 07-19-2019 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kennyb123 (Post 973509)
Thanks for sharing those videos!

Ken

You're welcome, Ken! :)

jzzmusician 07-19-2019 10:24 PM

Stephen,

Once again thank you for your excellent reviews. It's double good to run across someone who has the same ears I do.

I just ordered two Venom NR V12s.

- Bob

RLF 07-19-2019 10:38 PM

Steven, Thanks for sharing these great videos demonstrating the noise reduction these power cords. I could use a few of these in my home theater system.

Bob.

Puma Cat 07-19-2019 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RLF (Post 973536)
Steven, Thanks for sharing these great videos demonstrating the noise reduction these power cords. I could use a few of these in my home theater system.

Bob.

Excellent! You will be very impressed with them for video and also the audio for your home theatre will improve.

But, don't just limit them to your home theatre; definitely try them in your music system.

Puma Cat 07-20-2019 12:36 AM

Okaayyy...I just installed a Venom 14 Digital C13 power cord to power my Keces P3 linear power supply that powers my SOtM UltraNeo and....DAYUM!!!

Ohhh, man, if you have a Keces power supply, you just HAVE to try this power cord on it.

The degree of improvement the V14D brought to the Keces has really suprised me; its almost of the order of improvement from putting the NR-V12 onto the Schiit Gumby DAC. :banana:

VERY quiet, open, spacious, detailed but not overly-etched. Fullsome, lovely, textured, layered, gorgeous, and just oh so musical....:music:

Masterlu 07-20-2019 12:57 AM

Did I mention I’m a Keces dealer for Subscribers. :ok:

Puma Cat 07-20-2019 01:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 973545)
Did I mention I’m a Keces dealer for Subscribers. :ok:

Yes, and believe me, there is some real SYNERGY to be had there! :yes:

:thumbsup:

beowulf 07-20-2019 02:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puma Cat (Post 973517)
Hi Bob,
Yes, you could use these for your DAC, but based on input I've read from Grant regarding various classes of power cables for use with DACs, if your budget allows, I'd recommend using the new Venom NR-V12 for an extra $155, or the NR-V10 for your DAC if either fits within your budget. I'm presently using the NR-V12 for my DAC, and its VERY impressive. The Schiit Gumby took a big step up in overall sound quality when I installed it.

Just to reiterate ... the Venom 12NR can do the same and/or better with digital as the Venom 14D? The reason I'm asking is that I have 3 Venom NR12's on order (1 for a Mac C220 Preamp, 1 for a Mac D150 DAC, and 1 for a Decware Taboo MKII Amp). Should I stick with the Venom NR12's or would it be better to try a Venom 14D on the DAC?

Puma Cat 07-20-2019 03:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beowulf (Post 973558)
Just to reiterate ... the Venom 12NR can do the same and/or better with digital as the Venom 14D? The reason I'm asking is that I have 3 Venom NR12's on order (1 for a Mac C220 Preamp, 1 for a Mac D150 DAC, and 1 for a Decware Taboo MKII Amp). Should I stick with the Venom NR12's or would it be better to try a Venom 14D on the DAC?

Yes, you can stick with your Venom NR-V12 for your DAC.

beowulf 07-20-2019 05:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puma Cat (Post 973560)
Yes, you can stick with your Venom NR-V12 for your DAC.

Thanks!

Do you happen to know that if someone has an HTPC/Server or HDTV with a C5 type power cable (one of them would actually need a right angle C5) ... Can Venom power cables be special ordered with these types of connectors?

beowulf 07-20-2019 05:35 AM

Would something like "this adapter" hurt the performance?

Puma Cat 07-23-2019 07:01 PM

The new Venom 14 Digital power cord is now listed on Shunyata Research's web site.

Here is the link: https://shunyata.com/products/power-...m-v14-digital/

From the Shunyata Research web site:
"The Venom V14 Digital uses pure, oxygen-free electrolytic copper, 14 gauge conductors with a 100% coverage shield that provides exceptional RFI/EMI immunity. The Venom V14 connectors are Shunyata Research’s custom molded connectors that are crimped and soldered for optimal DTCD®. They are available with the standard C13 connector and with the popular mini-power connectors C7, C5 & C7P.

The Venom V14 Digital is a spin-off from our our Clear Image Scientific medical division. It uses an exclusive multi-stage NR noise filtration circuit which literally eliminates parasitic noise generated by power supplies, wall-warts and power bricks. This powerful noise filter removes noise and interference present on the power line as well as eliminating noise generated by the components themselves.

The Venom V14 Digital is the PERFECT power cord for use with servers, transports, computers, routers, up-samplers, projectors, flat screens, digital converters, disk arrays or any device that processes digital or video signals. The broad-band, multi-stage filtration built into the Venom V14 Digital dramatically eliminates noise without the use of an expensive power conditioner.

The result is a significant increase in the resolution of audio and video signals!"

Puma Cat 07-23-2019 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beowulf (Post 973564)
Thanks!

Do you happen to know that if someone has an HTPC/Server or HDTV with a C5 type power cable (one of them would actually need a right angle C5) ... Can Venom power cables be special ordered with these types of connectors?

Yes, you can order a Venom 14 Digital with a C5 plug as part of the standard set of connector options.

I don't know if a right-angle C5 can be fitted as a custom order.

Parabellum 07-31-2019 12:00 PM

Good news that the V14 Digital is that good and affordable. I am interested to buy one for my projector (Panasonic PT-AE8000). Since this is a 14AWG cable, I am curious to know how it compares to a Venom NR-V12 or 10 for this application as they have heavier gauge wire. I used to believe that heavier gauges fare better on displays? Am I correct? In my case, I will salvage a SR-Z1 outlet and a Venom defender for this application. I have a dedicated 15A line for my projector.

Puma Cat 07-31-2019 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Parabellum (Post 974710)
Good news that the V14 Digital is that good and affordable. I am interested to buy one for my projector (Panasonic PT-AE8000). Since this is a 14AWG cable, I am curious to know how it compares to a Venom NR-V12 or 10 for this application as they have heavier gauge wire. I used to believe that heavier gauges fare better on displays? Am I correct? In my case, I will salvage a SR-Z1 outlet and a Venom defender for this application. I have a dedicated 15A line for my projector.

I'll leave it to Grant and Caelin to comment definitively, but my expectation is the Venom 14 Digital would be fine for powering your projector. The V-12 and V-10 are better performers when you need dynamic transient current delivery (e.g. for an amplifier driving speakers during dynamic musical passages), but as the projector does not function in this manner as it is powered continuously, I would predict it would work really well for your video projector. I use on my Samsung HDTV and it works really well, providing a more vivid, sharper picture than the stock generic power cord.

zonto 08-01-2019 11:16 AM

That advice is probably sound. Thought I’d cross link to the plasma TV / projector thread: https://www.audioaficionado.org/show...t=27805&page=3. Caelin recommended the Venom NR V12 if budget permits (see post #24). I’d imagine this is less important on LED/LCD displays, but for higher current draw displays like plasma TVs and projectors the Venom NR V12 may get the nod.

Parabellum 08-01-2019 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zonto (Post 974769)
That advice is probably sound. Thought I’d cross link to the plasma TV / projector thread: http://www.audioaficionado.org/showt...t=27805&page=3. Caelin recommended the Venom NR V12 if budget permits (see post #24). I’d imagine this is less important on LED/LCD displays, but for higher current draw displays like plasma TVs and projectors the Venom NR V12 may get the nod.

Thanks for posting. That answers my question.

zonto 06-11-2021 04:09 PM

Has anybody ever tried a Venom 14 Digital on an Apple TV or similar streamer?

I'm finding different pictures of the cable online and can't confirm whether the noise reduction filter is in the C7 connector that would plug into the Apple TV (thus making it incompatible as it would block the HDMI output) or whether it's a standard C7 connector with the filter in the other end (making it compatible).

Edit: if current production units with the C7 connector are the same as this (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=46664) should be just fine.

If so, what were your subjective impressions of any differences in audio or video quality using the cable?

Puma Cat 06-11-2021 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zonto (Post 1039745)
Has anybody ever tried a Venom 14 Digital on an Apple TV or similar streamer?

I'm finding different pictures of the cable online and can't confirm whether the noise reduction filter is in the C7 connector that would plug into the Apple TV (thus making it incompatible as it would block the HDMI output) or whether it's a standard C7 connector with the filter in the other end (making it compatible).

Edit: if current production units with the C7 connector are the same as this (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=46664) should be just fine.

If so, what were your subjective impressions of any differences in audio or video quality using the cable?

If memory serves, the picture linked to above is the current configuration of production units of V14D Digital with C7 connector. I think they standardized on this configuration because of the no. of use-cases and applications that had problems with the NR filter on the C7 plug blocking access to other ports, as you've described. I use a V14D on my Apple TV and my HDTV, and the improvements it brings to video and audio quality for HDTV is clearly visible and audible.

zonto 06-11-2021 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puma Cat (Post 1039747)
If memory serves, the picture linked to above is the current configuration of production units of V14D Digital with C7 connector. I think they standardized on this configuration because of the no. of use-cases and applications that had problems with the NR filter on the C7 plug blocking access to other ports, as you've described. I use a V14D on my Apple TV and my HDTV, and the improvements it brings to video and audio quality for HDTV is clearly visible and audible.

Thanks! I run a Venom V12 NR on my HDTV, and will plan to pick one of these up for the new Apple TV. What improvements to video and audio quality did you notice when using on your Apple TV?

Puma Cat 06-11-2021 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zonto (Post 1039754)
Thanks! I run a Venom V12 NR on my HDTV, and will plan to pick one of these up for the new Apple TV. What improvements to video and audio quality did you notice when using on your Apple TV?

Sharper, more vibrant picture with deeper blacks.

imprezap2 12-09-2021 02:21 PM

Old thread, but saw this video last week https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-X9gYpmtlxE

Today I brought home a Shunyata V10 NR powercord and tried to do the same experiment as in the video, with a standard cable my measuring device (EMI wideband chinese) was showing 44mV in an unfiltered powersocket, then with the same non filtered distribution block with the Shunyata V10 NR powercord the measurement became 54mV, not a huge increase but a massive difference compared to the video where the reduction in mV is large.

Is the Noise reduction in the V10 powercord less then the V14 powercords ?
(V14's are not listed in the Dutch price list)

Tonight I will try the Venom V10 in my system, one of my expensive Ansuz powercords moved from my Aurender N10 to the Plixir power supply (for Melco S100), which had a considerable impovement (streaming with DCS Rossini, Aurender N10 disconnected)
Hopefully I can move the Ansuz powercord back to the Aurender and use the Shunyata powercord for the Plixir power supply.

Puma Cat 12-09-2021 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imprezap2 (Post 1050471)

Is the Noise reduction in the V10 powercord less then the V14 powercords ?
(V14's are not listed in the Dutch price list)

The amount of noise reduction is the same, 12dB, but the noise reduction functionality is somewhat different for the V14D Digital PC. It's noise reduction functionality is specifically optimised for devices that are 100% in the digital domain, e.g. a network bridge or streamer (digital in/digital out).

It came out of power cords developed by Clear Image Scientific, Shunyata's sister company that sells power products for medical digital imaging, and it was designed for cardiac digital imaging devices.

If your device is a DAC, preamp, amp, that operates at any level in the analog domain, you should ideally use a Venom NRv10 or NRv12 power cord, or higher-specification.

imprezap2 12-09-2021 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puma Cat (Post 1050478)
The amount of noise reduction is the same, 12dB, but the noise reduction functionality is somewhat different for the V14D Digital PC. It's noise reduction functionality is specifically optimised for devices that are 100% in the digital domain, e.g. a network bridge or streamer (digital in/digital out).

It came out of power cords developed by Clear Image Scientific, Shunyata's sister company that sells power products for medical digital imaging, and it was designed for cardiac digital imaging devices.

If your device is a DAC, preamp, amp, that operates at any level in the analog domain, you should ideally use a Venom NRv10 or NRv12 power cord, or higher-specification.

Still I find it strange that the value increases on my EMI device when using the V10 NR powercord compared to a standard cord.
The device is measuring the EMI in the electrical system, I know it's just a simple device giving a measurement in mV, I am not fixated on the number displayed but I can see the change during the day, low numbers in the morning, slowly increasing during the day.
My system sounds best in the morning and late in the evening. So for me there is definitly a goal to get the readings as low as possible.
Thats's why I don't understand the higher readings with a powercord designed to reduce noise.

imprezap2 12-09-2021 04:30 PM

The EMI device is measuring upto 10mhz, the shunyata power cord specifies-12db@1mhz NR

Puma Cat 12-09-2021 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imprezap2 (Post 1050482)
The EMI device is measuring upto 10mhz, the shunyata power cord specifies-12db@1mhz NR

Here's a suggestion: put it in an listen to it.

imprezap2 12-09-2021 07:11 PM

That's a fine suggestion, but not the question answered.

imprezap2 12-22-2021 05:01 AM

After two weeks I have taken the Venom V10 NR out of my system, it will be going back to the dealer, after burning in it sounded "flat" compared to the Ansuz C1 powercord I am using now. The treble is grainy with the Shunyata power cord and the soundstage compressed. I understand the Ansuz C1 is a more expensive powercord, but somehow this experiment has put me off trying the more expensive Shunyata offerings.

The base of my system is all Ansuz, D2 distribution block and D2/C2/C1 powercords, that probably influenced the outcome a bit (synergy)

audioquest4life 12-22-2021 01:58 PM

It is all about synergy. What works well, exceptionally well, or not perfect in one person's system does not mean universally that it will or will not work well in another system due to differences in components and hearing. You start to get used to that in this hobby after trying out a lot of things. Once you establish a baseline signature sound for your system, it becomes easier to hear if a change is better or not, or simply a lateral move, just sounding different.

imprezap2 12-22-2021 02:09 PM

agreed, many times a change is not more then a side step, this time it was a step back.

kubla36 05-14-2022 04:38 PM

Shunyata Venom 14 Digital Videos

Ivan’s shipment of two V14 NRs for my streamer and switch completed NRs for all the components connecting to my P15. I’m hearing bass more clearly and more nuance on voice. Another layer of grime I didn’t know was there gone.

Quick reminder about what Puma’s been saying on having noise filtering to prevent component noise going back to regenerator/whatever.

Masterlu 05-14-2022 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kubla36 (Post 1060486)
Ivan’s shipment of two V14 NRs for my streamer and switch completed NRs for all the components connecting to my P15. I’m hearing bass more clearly and more nuance on voice. Another layer of grime I didn’t know was there gone.

Quick reminder about what Puma’s be saying on having noise filtering for component noise going back to regenerator/whatever.

Outstanding! :banana:

Puma Cat 05-15-2022 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kubla36 (Post 1060486)

Quick reminder about what Puma’s been saying on having noise filtering to prevent component noise going back to regenerator/whatever.

Yes, a major source of noise in a system is from the power supplies of the components themselves. If you are interested in a even higher level of performance and a more engaging presentation, consider a Shunyata power distributor. These work in tandem with the power cord to enhance and extend noise attenuation while concomitantly not impacting dynamic transient current delivery (which is a difficult engineering trick to pull off).