AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Phono-Pre Amps & Cartridges (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=95)
-   -   Koetsu Rosewood on Rega (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=50230)

Antonmb 08-28-2021 02:44 PM

Koetsu Rosewood on Rega

Any Rega users have any experience with Koetsu Rosewood, Signature or Platinum esp., on an upper tier Rega table/tonearm? I’m exploring options for new table and cartridge and one consideration is a Rega Planar 10 with either an Aphelion or a Rosewood Signature Platinum. From what I can determine, the Rosewood would be a good VTA fit with height (-14mm) comparable to a Rega cart, can anyone confirm this? I don’t want to have to use shims.

Also I’m a little concerned about cart/arm resonance, the Rega tonearm is quite light at 11 grams and the Rosewood is low compliance, which would push the resonance frequency to about 16hz. Anyone have experience with this?

W9TR 08-28-2021 08:31 PM

Tony,
There will be a bit of uncertainty going this route. It’s not that far off.

If you try it and then bass is too thin, you can add mass to the arm. There are some mass plates available for Rega arms. Basically you add mass to the arm with the plate and a longer set of cartridge screws.

mulveling 08-28-2021 08:43 PM

I was a non-believer on VPI arms being OK for Koetsu, but I lent an RSP to a friend with a 3D arm (similar mass to the Rega?) and I'm honestly surprised at how wonderful it sounds. I have the Fidelity Research arms, great for Koetsu, in my own system - and the RSP sounded exactly like a Koetsu should even on that 3D arm. The Rega should provide further benefit from its rigid bearings.

Antonmb 08-28-2021 09:11 PM

Thanks guys, appreciate the feedback.

Puma Cat 08-28-2021 10:59 PM

Hey Tony,
I use a Koetsu Urushi Vermilion in my SME V and it sounds absolutely wonderful, really, really lovely. The effective mass of an SME V is 10-11 grams, so given that, I'd think it'd work in your Rega RP10 just fine.

PHC1 08-29-2021 09:53 AM

I've heard a few various Koetsu carts on Graham and SME arms over the years and they sounded sublime.

Rega may work but I think their philosophies may not match... :smoking:

Antonmb 08-29-2021 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHC1 (Post 1044179)
I've heard a few various Koetsu carts on Graham and SME arms over the years and they sounded sublime.

Rega may work but I think their philosophies may not match... :smoking:

I’m curious Serge, what would their philosophies have to do with whether they’d be a good match for resonance, weight, tracking, etc.?

PHC1 08-29-2021 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antonmb (Post 1044194)
I’m curious Serge, what would their philosophies have to do with whether they’d be a good match for resonance, weight, tracking, etc.?

Rega table is built around a neutral/detailed/resolving response and lack of perceived coloration and sounds as such with their own carts.

Koetsu is about the euphony and technicolor that makes everything sound warmer and more romantic.

I am not saying you will not find joy with Rega and Koetsu, it may happen but their philosophies are different FWIW. :D

PHC1 08-29-2021 12:59 PM

Rega is the Leo Tolstoy... War and Peace, Anna Karenina... sober and realistic, with a good tragedy never going to waste... :smoking:

Koetsu is the Shakespeare's Midsummer Night's Dream... A story with Fairies and a very happy ending... :D

Antonmb 08-29-2021 01:45 PM

OK, creative metaphors, but what does that mean in terms of sound and design philosophy?