AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Bryston Audio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=82)
-   -   BDP2 and AIRPLAY question (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=29366)

Acoustic 12-09-2014 01:31 AM

BDP2 and AIRPLAY question

Hello all,
Does anyone know if Bryston BDP-2 supports AIRPLAY? TIA

shully 12-09-2014 02:58 AM

If I remember correctly it can use a Linux implementation called "shairplay". You may need to turn it on in the services menu.

It's certainly not the best for audio quality and I don't think it's officially supported so results may vary....:no:

gbaby 12-10-2014 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acoustic (Post 657292)
Hello all,
Does anyone know if Bryston BDP-2 supports AIRPLAY? TIA

If you need airplay you don't need the BDP-2. Airplay and the BDP-2 are a contradiction because the BDP-2 stands for supreme sound quality whereas airplay stands for convenience. :icon_thumbsdown:

elem79 04-23-2015 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gbaby (Post 657636)
If you need airplay you don't need the BDP-2. Airplay and the BDP-2 are a contradiction because the BDP-2 stands for supreme sound quality whereas airplay stands for convenience. :icon_thumbsdown:

Actually AirPlay is a bit perfect protocol that maintains the fidelity of the original signal. One can have the convenience of AirPlay using an iPad for a service like Tidal and not have a sonic penalty.

gbaby 04-23-2015 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elem79 (Post 694527)
Actually AirPlay is a bit perfect protocol that maintains the fidelity of the original signal. One can have the convenience of AirPlay using an iPad for a service like Tidal and not have a sonic penalty.

The Bryston BDP-2 is in a different sonic class than any bit perfect "AirPlay" device. It did not make the Class A+ ranking in Stereophile for nothing. :yes:

Antonmb 04-24-2015 01:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gbaby (Post 694751)
The Bryston BDP-2 is in a different sonic class than any bit perfect "AirPlay" device. It did not make the Class A+ ranking in Stereophile for nothing. :yes:

Airplay and audiophile sound are not mutually exclusive. The Linn DS network music players, and I'm sure others, support AirPlay. The sound when using AirPlay is not as good as when playing hi res music via ethernet from an NAS, but it is convenient for streaming music services. You can have both best-in-class Ethernet streaming and AirPlay for other services in the same box.

gbaby 04-24-2015 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antonmb (Post 694757)
The sound when using AirPlay is not as good as when playing hi res music via ethernet from an NAS,

Thats my point. What is yours? :scratch2:

Antonmb 04-24-2015 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gbaby (Post 694795)
Thats my point. What is yours? :scratch2:

sorry, I was responding to your comment:

"If you need airplay you don't need the BDP-2. Airplay and the BDP-2 are a contradiction because the BDP-2 stands for supreme sound quality whereas airplay stands for convenience".

I thought you were implying that AirPlay and supreme sound quality were somehow mutually exclusive and if you wanted AirPlay you didn't want good sound. I was just pointing out that you can have both, AirPlay and supreme sound quality in the same device.