AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Analog Pressings (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=170)
-   -   How much new Vinyl do you have... (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=46646)

Masterlu 09-11-2019 10:09 AM

How much new Vinyl do you have...

How much new Vinyl do you have still sitting around unopened?

I am actually guilty of quite a lot. I buy far more than I have time to listen to, which results in them being stored neatly, and properly for another time.

I buy lots of classics, rock, jazz and way too many boxed sets.

For The Love of Music 09-11-2019 11:08 AM

I only have purchased 12 albums in the last few weeks, and 8 out of 10 albums of those are sitting wrapped - as I learn more about this, it’s no guarantee despite buying from known presses, vintage, etc

I am learning a lot about this and know I’ll get bit but want to keep odds in my favor to avoid further expenses to buy more great sounding albums.

Mikado463 09-11-2019 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by For The Love of Music (Post 979298)
I only have purchased 12 albums in the last few weeks,

Wow, that's more than I purchased in the past year ! But with a modest collection (1500 plus or minus) I never run out of something to listen to.

Probably the most I ever purchased at one time might have been a half dozen albums, had them opened, cleaned and LAST treated and played within a week.

audioguy3107 09-11-2019 12:14 PM

Probably around 500 or so. I don’t have the biggest collection by far, but I do my best to focus on it being as high quality as possible, I.e. the correct pressings, MOFI, Analogue Productions, collectible box sets etc. I have quite a few Classic Records pressings that are long out of print. I recently found an original Mobile Fidelity pressing of Queen’s Night At The Opera in mint condition I got from a guy on the Hoffman Forums for example. It wasn’t dirt cheap, but way better than the typical compressed reissues that are out there. I learned very quickly that it’s better to spend a bit extra than to penny pinch, especially on used vinyl. By doing this I have almost totally avoided bad pressings and records on crappy condition.

- Buck

bart 09-11-2019 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by audioguy3107 (Post 979307)
Probably around 500 or so. I don’t have the biggest collection by far, but I do my best to focus on it being as high quality as possible, I.e. the correct pressings, MOFI, Analogue Productions, collectible box sets etc. I have quite a few Classic Records pressings that are long out of print. I recently found an original Mobile Fidelity pressing of Queen’s Night At The Opera in mint condition I got from a guy on the Hoffman Forums for example. It wasn’t dirt cheap, but way better than the typical compressed reissues that are out there. I learned very quickly that it’s better to spend a bit extra than to penny pinch, especially on used vinyl. By doing this I have almost totally avoided bad pressings and records on crappy condition.

- Buck

Buck, 500 unopened albums?!
I'd finally play a couple of them if I were you! :D

Antonmb 09-11-2019 05:37 PM

I’m current, but I recently went on a cleaning spree and took care of a dozen or so new ones that had been collecting

damacman 09-11-2019 05:40 PM

Less than a dozen unopened.

Puma Cat 09-11-2019 05:54 PM

Too much and not enough! LOL.

NZ421291 09-11-2019 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikado463 (Post 979305)
Wow, that's more than I purchased in the past year ! But with a modest collection (1500 plus or minus) I never run out of something to listen to.

Probably the most I ever purchased at one time might have been a half dozen albums, had them opened, cleaned and LAST treated and played within a week.

Same- except use my Smart Matrix RC & L'Art Du Son treatment.

Purchase about 5 LPs a week, & listen to them over the weekend (Saturday night & Sunday afternoon are my big listening sessions)- also cataloging my collection on Discogs (532 records graded & cataloged so far), so play about 2 to 3 of my existing collection to grade for cataloging- playing some LP's I havent listened too in 10 years- great fun.

audioguy3107 09-11-2019 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bart (Post 979350)
Buck, 500 unopened albums?!
I'd finally play a couple of them if I were you! :D

Dammit! My reading comprehension stinks! I think I have 2 I haven’t opened yet :D

Masterlu 09-11-2019 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by audioguy3107 (Post 979363)
Dammit! My reading comprehension stinks! I think I have 2 I haven’t opened yet :D

Well, c’mon over and give me a hand. :lmao:

Mikado463 09-11-2019 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NZ421291 (Post 979362)
Same- except use my Smart Matrix RC & L'Art Du Son treatment.

I too use L'art du Son combined with medical grade reagent water. RCM is by VPI

John49 09-12-2019 06:35 AM

How much new Vinyl do you have...

I have about 50 new vinyl LPs sitting un-played currently, because I still have NO ARM on my turntable! I also have 2 unused RCMs...

Mikado463 09-12-2019 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John49 (Post 979418)
I have about 50 new vinyl LPs sitting un-played currently, because I still have NO ARM on my turntable! I also have 2 unused RCMs...

thus your avatar speaks volumes ............

scirica 09-12-2019 09:07 AM

I have a couple unopened I'm sure. I tend to binge-buy reissues as they become available. It's an addiction!

Masterlu 09-12-2019 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scirica (Post 979434)
I have a couple unopened I'm sure. I tend to binge-buy reissues as they become available. It's an addiction!

I feel much better... :meditate:

Masterlu 09-12-2019 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scirica (Post 979434)

My real feeling is that you have to keep spending money, to make sure it still works. :D

MarSanz 09-12-2019 09:51 PM

Out of the 900 or so that I have, 6 are unopened. But that will change this weekend.

djwhog 09-12-2019 10:02 PM

I would say 100+ I have not even opened, but will this winter after I move. Some however are collectables and I wont open.

Maks 09-13-2019 06:41 AM

I'd say around 20, I prefer to do a cleaning session before listening to new records and just haven't taken the RCM out for awhile.

W9TR 09-13-2019 07:09 AM

Zero unopened. They arrive here and I listen to them as soon as I’m able. About 5% go back due to some flaw or another. I think only Acoustic Sounds has a perfect record so far. Ouch. Bad pun.

miner 09-14-2019 08:59 PM

I have 7 unopened - 6 MoFi One Step Ultradiscs and 1 UHQR from Analogue Reproductions. They may stay like that for a while.

streetspirit 09-14-2019 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miner (Post 979714)
I have 7 unopened - 6 MoFi One Step Ultradiscs and 1 UHQR from Analogue Reproductions. They may stay like that for a while.

Me too. I have every MoFi one step ultradiscs including the Santana Abraxas and the 1 UHQR from AP. I’ll eventually crack them open and play them especially the Santana Abraxas!!

Mitch

Mahalo 04-03-2020 02:48 AM

Funny you should ask because I just "thinned the heard" of unopened vinyl in my collection. Until recently, it was 30 or more. But cut it down to around 13 after cleaning the others. Have been listening to the opened and cleaned ones since.

Oops. Make that around 14 unopened now. I just got a new vinyl album in and added it to the unopened stack.

Formerly YB-2 04-03-2020 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by W9TR (Post 979525)
Zero unopened. They arrive here and I listen to them as soon as I’m able.

Yes. Discovered one unopened this week, which was an error on my part. No longer unopened. Only 'collect' to listen to, not to collect.

miner 04-03-2020 04:38 PM

Also, my four MoFi 45rpm Dire Straits are still unopened. I have my 33rpm ones to listen to until I decide to move forward. I currently only have approx 720 LPs that I started to rebuy in 2008 after selling all my LPs in 1985 during the CD hype. Of the 720, 95% are new, the rest are used because they have not been reissued.

Imapo 04-04-2020 03:46 PM

I have seven unopened LPs. It will eleven when I get my delivery today.:banana: That will annoy my wonderful wife to no end.:nono: I don’t like to open them until I can clean and listen to them. I also have anxiety about paying good money for an LP, mostly MoFi and Analogue Productions, and have it be noisy or click.:sigh: I recently started buying new LPs because my old ones, from the 70s, are beat up. It's amazing how much the needle weighted down by the coins chewed through the grooves. :scratch2:

audioguy3107 04-04-2020 03:59 PM

I have one new LP on the way, haven't bought a whole lot of vinyl lately. I found a NM copy of The Black Crowes' Before the Frost from a seller on the Hoffman forums. It's a great album that didn't get many pressings, it's very rare. It wasn't cheap but looking forward to listening to it, should get it any day now.

- Buck

j3brow 04-04-2020 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by audioguy3107 (Post 1000782)
I have one new LP on the way, haven't bought a whole lot of vinyl lately. I found a NM copy of The Black Crowes' Before the Frost from a seller on the Hoffman forums. It's a great album that didn't get many pressings, it's very rare. It wasn't cheap but looking forward to listening to it, should get it any day now.

- Buck

I got an original. It’s really good. I love this album. Top shelf Crowes imo. I like the sequencing of the LP better than the cd.

FreddieFerric 04-05-2020 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by W9TR (Post 979525)
Zero unopened. They arrive here and I listen to them as soon as I’m able. About 5% go back due to some flaw or another. I think only Acoustic Sounds has a perfect record so far. Ouch. Bad pun.

This! I open everything immediately to check for quality. I've had to return a few here and there due to warping. Amazon seems to have the overall worse record having returned several. I've had to return 1 to MusicDirect and 0 to Acoustic Sounds.

Weirdcuba 04-05-2020 09:36 PM

Tons. I have been without turntable since last July, but I keep on buying vinyl from my local record shop - mostly as my meager attempt to help keep him running. I bought 7 more yesterday and he was so grateful, he brought them by my house.

Support your local record store!

audioguy3107 04-05-2020 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weirdcuba (Post 1000966)
Tons. I have been without turntable since last July, but I keep on buying vinyl from my local record shop - mostly as my meager attempt to help keep him running. I bought 7 more yesterday and he was so grateful, he brought them by my house.

Support your local record store!

Jim, Decatur CD I assume? Any idea how he’s doing? This must be especially tough for a small shop like his.

- Buck

Weirdcuba 04-06-2020 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by audioguy3107 (Post 1000968)
Jim, Decatur CD I assume? Any idea how he’s doing? This must be especially tough for a small shop like his.

- Buck

They are relying on eBay sales I think as the store is closed. That is some pricey real estate (or at least it was before all of this), so I hope he does well.

FreddieFerric 04-07-2020 05:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by audioguy3107 (Post 1000968)

- Buck

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weirdcuba (Post 1001000)
They are relying on eBay sales I think as the store is closed. That is some pricey real estate (or at least it was before all of this), so I hope he does well.

Just did a Google search on this. That's a really nice record store. Hope they can survive this scourge and get back at life again soon.

Weirdcuba 04-07-2020 06:13 AM

Warren is a nice guy and has spent his entire adult life in the record business. I don’t know how he’s been able to make it this long, and hope this won’t be the end of it for him. Thus, I’ll get more new records in a few days.

Also, he mentioned that a number of pressing plants etc were shutting down, so the supply could start to thin.

FreddieFerric 04-07-2020 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weirdcuba (Post 1001116)
Warren is a nice guy and has spent his entire adult life in the record business. I don’t know how he’s been able to make it this long, and hope this won’t be the end of it for him. Thus, I’ll get more new records in a few days.

Also, he mentioned that a number of pressing plants etc were shutting down, so the supply could start to thin.

You're a good man. Now, why don't you have a TT to play those records on?

Weirdcuba 04-07-2020 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FreddieFerric (Post 1001123)
You're a good man. Now, why don't you have a TT to play those records on?

I am in a rental while my home is under renovation. No room for the turntable and lps and phono pre in current set up. Give me a few months, assuming no virus interruptions.

FreddieFerric 04-07-2020 04:36 PM

:thumbsup:

When the time comes, what's on your wish list?

Weirdcuba 04-07-2020 09:04 PM

No wish list - I already own a ClearAudio Innovation / Lyra Kleos and Accuphase C37 - they’re just sitting in boxes waiting on the project to be done. My only wish is to finish this project on time (and closer to budget than I am now) without anyone getting sick in the process (construction is an “essential activity” here in Georgia (although the governor re-opened the beaches a couple days ago, so almost anything could be “essential” pretty soon).

prepress 06-10-2020 01:30 PM

I'm supposed to be cataloging my records as part of an estate assessment. I have a Tedeschi Trucks Band I know is unopened, maybe a Jacintha, plus four LPs on the way: Yuja Wang, Santana, Atlanta Symphony/Shaw, and Deep Purple. There may be more.