AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   General Speaker Discussion (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=86)
-   -   That One Extra Inch Of Toe In (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=50675)

FreddieFerric 12-18-2021 06:38 PM

That One Extra Inch Of Toe In

One teenie weenie inch...and it can make A LOT of difference.

Backstory: In my old (smaller) audio room I had been fortunate enough to have my Canton's set up to where they seemed to disappear in the room and just let the music flow. And I was happy. Except...

I wanted more space, more air and certainly more cubic feet of space. So, after much negotiating with the boss, I was finally able to move into a larger room with much taller ceilings. (Pics of all that to come once the MC 1502 arrives)

I've been in here since the late summer ('21) and while I really love everything about the new room and setup versus the old room, I still haven't been able to recreate the Canton disappearing act.

I kept thinking I need more room treatments or bass traps, or something else. Then today I decided I wanted to rearrange the audio racks a bit. Just move some components around and give the setup a differnent vibe.

As I sat in my listening chair taking in the view I started to think; maybe if I went with just one more inch of toe in how would that work?

That one inch is all it took. Stunning! I've got my disappearing act back and couldn't be happier! :yes:

So just remember, sometimes all it takes is that one teenie weenie inch to make a huge difference.

Of course it could also be destructive, so...YMMV. :thumbsup:

audioguy3107 12-18-2021 06:50 PM

Even that small of a movement can have a large effect, it's well worth anyone's time to explore the improvements that these small changes can make. When Jim Smith came to my room to do his Room Play, we got to the point where he was attempting to make changes as small as 1/8 of an inch. Challenging but worth the effort, especially since speaker movement is free!

- Buck

jimtranr 12-18-2021 07:28 PM

Yup...like football, it's a game of inches.

JoeN 12-18-2021 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by audioguy3107 (Post 1051306)
Even that small of a movement can have a large effect, it's well worth anyone's time to explore the improvements that these small changes can make. When Jim Smith came to my room to do his Room Play, we got to the point where he was attempting to make changes as small as 1/8 of an inch. Challenging but worth the effort, especially since speaker movement is free!

- Buck

Agree 100%. I have Magicos and they must be dialed in precisely to sound their absolute best. Jim Smith is the man for sure!

80B 12-18-2021 11:31 PM

Freddie, congrats in getting that extra performance and working at it to get there. Interesting you use the term "disappear" since that's what I've felt my Canton K5's have done in my suboptimal office space (ie, it's an office first but one where I've got a system that's musical).

FreddieFerric 12-19-2021 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 80B (Post 1051327)
Freddie, congrats in getting that extra performance and working at it to get there. Interesting you use the term "disappear" since that's what I've felt my Canton K5's have done in my suboptimal office space (ie, it's an office first but one where I've got a system that's musical).

Thanks! It's a huge relief. I was beginning to doubt myself a bit. I find working at making incremental adjustments over a period of time helps you better understand and process what you're hearing.

Canton doesn't have deep roots in the US market as do many other manufacturers, but with their new US distributor that will hopefully change. One thing I am very high on about Canton is that they manufacture all of the components in house and that includes the drivers. That gives them a tight grip on quality control. Just overall a great speaker.