AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   PS Audio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   BHK Pre and BHK300 (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=43361)

jrsystems 08-19-2018 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 (Post 927646)
Are the BHKs switching amps of any sort? Don't believe so. Think they are traditional Class A/B analog amps with a tube input stage and MOSFET output stage.

Correct, tube input stage and MOSFET output stage, 300 watts each. They are designed by Baskom H King (BHK), who also designed the Constellation monsters. Paul McGowen asked him to design the amp and BHKs only requirement was that he be given free reign to design it as he wants. He succeeded!

audio bill 08-19-2018 02:22 PM

The BHK electronics also use linear power supplies, not SMPS.

doggiehowser 08-21-2018 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 (Post 927646)
Are the BHKs switching amps of any sort? Don't believe so. Think they are traditional Class A/B analog amps with a tube input stage and MOSFET output stage.

To call it a "MOSFET" output stage IMHO would be a disservice. I have heard many MOSFET amps before. None have sounded like this before (Redgum/Modwright).

Bascom calls it an n-channel only layout which I think he employed in the Constellation Audio amps previously.

jrsystems 08-21-2018 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doggiehowser (Post 927975)
To call it a "MOSFET" output stage IMHO would be a disservice. I have heard many MOSFET amps before. None have sounded like this before (Redgum/Modwright).

Bascom calls it an n-channel only layout which I think he employed in the Constellation Audio amps previously.

Yeah, it’s a really unique design. I don’t quite get it, but it sounds amazing!

SL1800 08-22-2018 02:05 PM

Congrats. I would love to hear the BHK amps and pre in my system.

jrsystems 09-03-2018 08:27 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I completed my cabinet project and finished setting up the system today. It came out pretty nice!

JSCC 09-03-2018 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrsystems (Post 929908)
I completed my cabinet project and finished setting up the system today. It came out pretty nice!

Wow JR! Simply beautiful. Any chance you are going for their new AN1 speakers to complete a full PS Audio Digital setup?

SL1800 09-03-2018 10:16 PM

Nice!!!

jrsystems 09-03-2018 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSCC (Post 929920)
Wow JR! Simply beautiful. Any chance you are going for their new AN1 speakers to complete a full PS Audio Digital setup?

They are intriguing in concept. I'll definitely check them out, hopefully at next year's Axpona.

The Raidho's are so good and so dialed in with the subs that I can't see giving them up anytime soon. But I do like rotating speakers and the combination of the PS amps that can drive pretty much anything and the JL subs gives me some flexibility. I'm thinking maybe the small MBL 126 stand-mounts -I've always loved MBLs and those would be a great fit for my system. I would likely keep both pairs of speakers and rotate them every few months. However, before new speakers, I want to work on room treatments.

I just got my brand new system set up and I'm already thinking about my next targets! Audio is a helluva drug!

jrsystems 09-03-2018 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SL1800 (Post 929934)
Nice!!!

Thanks!