AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Home Theater (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Dedicated outlets (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=50956)

murphyb74 03-10-2022 01:25 PM

Dedicated outlets

We are putting in a listening - home theater room downstairs. The room was mostly finished, but the front wall and one side wall are painted block so we are having drywall put in. The electric panel is on the front wall, so it is the perfect time for some dedicated outlets. I will have a large panel tv, DAC, Blu-ray player, pre, and amp. I was also going to add a pair of subs (self-powered, class-D). In our last house I had two dedicated 20 amp outlets. Should I do the same here? Would a pair of subs need their own dedicated outlets?

Masterlu 03-10-2022 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by murphyb74 (Post 1056883)
We are putting in a listening - home theater room downstairs. The room was mostly finished, but the front wall and one side wall are painted block so we are having drywall put in. The electric panel is on the front wall, so it is the perfect time for some dedicated outlets. I will have a large panel tv, DAC, Blu-ray player, pre, and amp. I was also going to add a pair of subs (self-powered, class-D). In our last house I had two decayed 20 amp outlets. Should I do the same here? Would a pair of subs need their own dedicated outlets?

Your pair of subs definitely deserve/need dedicated outlets.

Personally speaking, I use dedicated outlets on each of my subs.

JoeN 03-10-2022 04:05 PM

I would agree with Ivan, everything should be on dedicated circuits.

I don’t run subs. However, I presently have two Pass mono amps plugged directly into dedicated circuits. In addition, I have all my other equipment plugged into a Shunyata Everest which goes into another dedicated circuit.

So I have 3 dedicated circuits all run with 10 gauge wire. They are all on the same phase as well.

murphyb74 03-12-2022 11:22 AM

One thing I wondered is where to have them locate the dedicated outlets for subwoofers. The room is 18’ X 22’ and I have read locating a pair of subs mid way on the sides may help cancel standing waves. I realize some experimentation will be needed, but where to locate the outlet? (Front wall vs side walls)

W9TR 03-12-2022 11:25 AM

Adding outlets and dedicated runs now is relatively inexpensive.
I've never hear anyone say they wished they had added fewer runs. :)

Masterlu 03-12-2022 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by murphyb74 (Post 1056997)
One thing I wondered is where to have them locate the dedicated outlets for subwoofers. The room is 18’ X 22’ and I have read locating a pair of subs mid way on the sides may help cancel standing waves. I realize some experimentation will be needed, but where to locate the outlet? (Front wall vs side walls)

Front wall :thumbsup:

rjryan 03-12-2022 07:19 PM

I’ll echo other responses. 10 gauge, equal length runs on the same phase into Shunyata outlets. Works great!

murphyb74 03-12-2022 09:11 PM

I have read about having equal length runs - what is the reason for this?

rjryan 03-17-2022 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by murphyb74 (Post 1057068)
I have read about having equal length runs - what is the reason for this?

It provides equal length for ground back to the panel. Equal length means equal cable capacitance over the run to reduces the chance of ground loops.

Now, some may say this is overkill, pseudoscience or other. In my case, the extra $50 for few more feet of wire was worth it to me. My electrician looked a me a bit funny, but conceded that “in theory” this is plausible. He doubted the practical noticeable difference, but was very good natured about it :-)

FWIW, I’ve moved my gear on from the dedicated lines to regular outlets in close proximity to test. The dedicated lines make my equipment run silent. I get interference from dimmers and other appliances on the regular lines.

murphyb74 03-26-2022 06:32 PM

The electrician wired four dedicated outlets for me - 10 gauge, equal length runs on the same phase - but he said he has to use GFCI outlets for permit inspection. Anyone else use these and if so, what is your favorite brand?