AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Turntables & Tonearms (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   New Kuzma 14 inch 4Point (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=31785)

FlexibleAudio 05-30-2015 02:14 PM

New Kuzma 14 inch 4Point

Any of the vinyl lovers heard Franc's latest masterpiece? How long is too long (I am referring to tonearms of course)?

4Point 14 inch- New from July 2015 - Kuzma Professional Turntables, Tonearms and Accessories

FlexibleAudio 06-02-2015 09:28 AM

How about 14 inch arms in general? Anyone ever try one???

rnrmf1971 06-06-2015 02:22 PM

I was reading about these arms and they are very interesting.
I think it's worth clarifying that this 14 inch arm is meant to work where one would normally use a 12 inch arm and that their 11 inch arm where one would use a 9 inch arm. I think the design and features of this arm are well thought out. Outstanding reviews, too.

FlexibleAudio 06-06-2015 04:13 PM

Where did you find a review?

FlexibleAudio 06-06-2015 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rnrmf1971 (Post 704967)
I was reading about these arms and they are very interesting.
I think it's worth clarifying that this 14 inch arm is meant to work where one would normally use a 12 inch arm and that their 11 inch arm where one would use a 9 inch arm. I think the design and features of this arm are well thought out. Outstanding reviews, too.

I still presume all of the benefits of a lower tracking error are realized in the 14" compared to a 12" even though it was designed for a 12 inch position?

rnrmf1971 06-07-2015 01:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlexibleAudio (Post 705029)
I still presume all of the benefits of a lower tracking error are realized in the 14" compared to a 12" even though it was designed for a 12 inch position?

Their website has a link to M. Fremer's review of the shorter version from a few years ago. And I read another review in Hi-Fi + I think.
I believe I got the links from their website.

FlexibleAudio 06-07-2015 12:53 PM

Yes, I have read all about the shorter arm. The Kuzma 11" 4Point is outstanding. I look forward to something on the new 14".

antipop 06-09-2015 10:23 AM

I like Avid's argument on the matter and why they use 9" arms.

Quote from their FAQ

Quote:

Why don't your turntables take 12" pick-up arms?

From inception, our design philosophy stated maximum information retrieval....in the real world.

The pick-up arm is one of three elements that make up the record player. Establishing that rigid 9" arms would offer the best performance, our designs were modelled around this parameter.

Recently 12" arms have come back into fashion, claiming lower tracking distortion. However whilst in theory this is correct in the 'real world' this rarely happens and there are also the downsides to take into account.

Average distortion on 9" arms is 0.85%, whilst 12" arms are 0.67%. Some trying to impress will say this is 20% lower distortion, however this is incorrect as in real terms its only 0.18% lower.

Now add to this the downsides of higher moving mass, lower arm rigidity, higher counterweight inertia and worst of all higher distortion caused by misalignment.

Yes...in the real world rarely are styli correctly fitted within the cartridge body and most fit their cartridge using a standard alignment gauge using the body as a guide. Therefore if your stylus is misaligned within the headshell the distortion will be greater using the 12" arm as the distance from pivot to stylus is greater.

Record damage is greater due to counterweight inertia, warp tracking worse by higher moving mass and sonic degradation caused by unwanted structural resonance’s in longer arms, coupled to having oversized turntables causing more issues.

And you still want to use a 12" arm ?

FlexibleAudio 06-09-2015 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by antipop (Post 705672)
I like Avid's argument on the matter and why they use 9" arms.

Quote from their FAQ

The change in the percent distortion is indeed 21% lower with the 12 inch. Or said differently the percent distortion in the 9 inch is 27% higher than a 12 inch. It's math and while the Avid statement is correct it is misleading relative to the goal of reducing the base level of distortion present in the 9 inch arm. The rest of their arguments are about design and execution of the tone arm itself relative to accuracy/flexibility in set-up to get it right, material density and so on. This capability has come a long way from initial designs and I think failure to see these benefits is leaving marginal SQ on the table (pardon the pun).

FlexibleAudio 09-28-2015 05:40 PM

Checking again to see if anyone has heard more about the Kuzma 14 inch arm???????