AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Bryston Audio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=82)
-   -   Announcing The Bryston BR-20 Preamp/DAC/Streamer (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=48766)

jmpotier 09-01-2022 05:39 PM

I acquired a BR-20 in May. I was previously using a BDP-1 player with a BP-26 preamp with integrated DAC.

The BR-20 is easily a much better digital player than the BDP-1 and the DAC can handle 196KHz signals plus DSD, whereas the BP-26 DAC card is limited to 92KHz signals and no DSD (though I have few 196KHz music files and no DSD).

It also sounds great. Compared to the BP26, the BR-20's soundstage is much better defined and more stable; detail retrieval and accuracy are also slightly better. On the other hand, the BP-26 sounds a little more lively, more "present", whereas the BR-20 is more restrained.

My only wish is that the BR-20 could be used as a straight digital player & DAC, i.e. bypassing the preamp section because I also have a BHA-1 headphone amp, and my Focal Utopia headphones sound noticeably better if I play music from my BDP-1 player through the BP-26 than directly from the BR-20, or even with the BR-20 feeding my BHA-1 amp. Don't get me wrong, the headphone output from the BR-20 is very good, but it doesn't sound as good as the BHA-1 for which I also use a really good XLR cable (which I can't use with the BR-20).

Overall, though, a fantastic player, DAC, preamp, or whatever you want to call it!!!

Carcrashboy 09-18-2022 09:51 AM

Hi, I am looking to purchase a BR-20 and 4B cubed but need to check that I can integrate this with my Marantz SR7013 AV receiver.

I currently use Pre-Amp (RCA) out from the Marantz to drive my stereo speakers and my stereo amp (RCA) has pass -thru mode so I only need to use the Marantz to control the volume side of things.

How would I handle this with the BR-20?

Can the the RCA inputs on the BR-20 be set to pass-thru?

Do any of the 4 HDMI input on the optional board be set to pass-thru?

Hope someone can help!!

Graham

Masterlu 09-18-2022 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carcrashboy (Post 1066522)
Hi, I am looking to purchase a BR-20 and 4B cubed but need to check that I can integrate this with my Marantz SR7013 AV receiver.

I currently use Pre-Amp (RCA) out from the Marantz to drive my stereo speakers and my stereo amp (RCA) has pass -thru mode so I only need to use the Marantz to control the volume side of things.

How would I handle this with the BR-20?

Can the the RCA inputs on the BR-20 be set to pass-thru?

Do any of the 4 HDMI input on the optional board be set to pass-thru?

Hope someone can help!!

Graham

Hi Graham,

I would email both of these folks for the correct answer:

mpickett@bryston.com

jspence@bryston.com

I am also an Authorized Bryston dealer, once you hear back.

Best, Ivan

clpetersen 09-19-2022 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmpotier (Post 1065855)
I acquired a BR-20 in May. I was previously using a BDP-1 player with a BP-26 preamp with integrated DAC.

My only wish is that the BR-20 could be used as a straight digital player & DAC, i.e. bypassing the preamp section because I also have a BHA-1 headphone amp, ... the headphone output from the BR-20 is very good, but it doesn't sound as good as the BHA-1 for which I also use a really good XLR cable (which I can't use with the BR-20).

Overall, though, a fantastic player, DAC, preamp, or whatever you want to call it!!!

The BR-20 looks great.

I have the BP-17^3 and the BHA-1. With the BP-17, there is an internal jumper that sets one of the pre-outs to fixed/bypass and this drives the BHA-1 (balanced XLR). So, I mute the BP-17 and turn on the BHA-1 for headphones.

This is not possible on the BR-20??

jmpotier 10-01-2022 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clpetersen (Post 1066558)
The BR-20 looks great.

I have the BP-17^3 and the BHA-1. With the BP-17, there is an internal jumper that sets one of the pre-outs to fixed/bypass and this drives the BHA-1 (balanced XLR). So, I mute the BP-17 and turn on the BHA-1 for headphones.

This is not possible on the BR-20??

No, or at least not that I can see. I also have the BP-26 preamp and before I bought the BR-20, I connected the BP-26 and BHA-1 the same way you're connecting the BP-17 and BHA-1. In fact, I still sometimes use that combination because, in some ways, it sounds better, but having to change interconnects is a bit of a hassle.

clpetersen 03-07-2023 09:36 AM

I tried a BR-20 at home over the weekend.

It does not offer fixed outputs, confirmed with Bryston. So running with the BHA-1 headphone amp is not as direct as the BP-17 or BP-26 preamps. However, the built in headphone amp is indistinguishable from the BHA-1 on my Audeze LCD-3 (which are relatively easy to drive), so the need for a separate headphone amp is certainly reduced.

The BR-20 is an impressive device. No doubt about the sound quality. The software is still evolving (I had some volume control quirks), but it offers impressive integration possibilities, replacing external DACs, network streamers/bridges, etc. If I were to ask for anything, it would assignable front panel buttons - currently there are dedicated buttons for each input, resulting in a great deal of buttons to be sure.