AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Bryston Audio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=82)
-   -   A 3BST Story (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=3255)

salmtpa 01-17-2010 12:54 PM

A 3BST Story

Several yeasr ago I shipped my old gear to my daughter living out in Kansas City. So as a young 20-something she had a Linn Wakonda preamp and a Bryston 3BST power amp driving some small Mission speakers. She's moved around a lot since then, college, CAl for a year as a Vista Volunteer, and now back in KC in her own apartment. I visited at Christmas and had the chance to hook up all the stereo equipment, her TV and cable box, a Sony BD player and her Wii. When she got home from work that day she was just absolutely thrilled and immediately put on a Radiohead Cd and then her and her boyfriend wanted to play the Wii for while. Later that night we all watched Madagascar on BD. All through that day and night she glowed about how good things sounded. As an audiophile it made me feel great. I was also pleasantly surprised at how good that modest system of one-time very good entry level equipment sounded. Kudos to both Linn and Bryston for making gear that still sounds fantastic after almost 15 years in service. ANd you know I'm just going to have to get her something better than those old little Mission speakers!

Still-One 01-17-2010 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by salmtpa (Post 59358)
Several yeasr ago I shipped my old gear to my daughter living out in Kansas City. So as a young 20-something she had a Linn Wakonda preamp and a Bryston 3BST power amp driving some small Mission speakers. She's moved around a lot since then, college, CAl for a year as a Vista Volunteer, and now back in KC in her own apartment. I visited at Christmas and had the chance to hook up all the stereo equipment, her TV and cable box, a Sony BD player and her Wii. When she got home from work that day she was just absolutely thrilled and immediately put on a Radiohead Cd and then her and her boyfriend wanted to play the Wii for while. Later that night we all watched Madagascar on BD. All through that day and night she glowed about how good things sounded. As an audiophile it made me feel great. I was also pleasantly surprised at how good that modest system of one-time very good entry level equipment sounded. Kudos to both Linn and Bryston for making gear that still sounds fantastic after almost 15 years in service. ANd you know I'm just going to have to get her something better than those old little Mission speakers!

How about some MMG's or 1.6's (or are they now 1.7's) :)

f1 fan 01-17-2010 07:08 PM

Great story;)

Dave

two dot 01-17-2010 07:15 PM

Love stuff like this... thanks..

salmtpa 01-20-2010 10:30 AM

You read my mind Stillone! 1.7s woudl be great for her, just waiting for her to settle down in one place for long enough to then upgrade the speakers for her. What might even be better is for me to give her my 3.6s if a new 3.7 comes out. Spoiled kid!! :D