AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Cables Galore (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Cardas Cable users? (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=49939)

Masterlu 06-01-2021 07:52 PM

Cardas Cable users?

Do we have many Cardas Cable Fans? I am giving serious thought to picking up the line.

George Prentice 06-01-2021 08:33 PM

I was a fan a long ago when my system components were a bit harsh. But each time I try them now they are too warm and seem to reduce details. I think this warmth is less true in contemporary Cardas. But I tried a complement of XLR Clear within the last six months and still found them to have a slight lack of detail and be a bit too warm. But that is in my two systems. All my Cables are now Transparent Ultra.

I will say I currently have a Clear beyond power cord on my streamer that seems to have bested most of my other ones... but this still seems to be the exception.

Masterlu 06-01-2021 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by George Prentice (Post 1039295)
I was a fan a long ago when my system components were a bit harsh. But each time I try them now they are too warm and seem to reduce details. I think this warmth is less true in contemporary Cardas. But I tried a complement of XLR Clear within the last six months and still found them to have a slight lack of detail and be a bit too warm. But that is in my two systems. All my Cables are now Transparent Ultra.

I will say I currently have a Clear beyond power cord on my streamer that seems to have bested most of my other ones... but this still seems to be the exception.

Appreciate your input. ;)

Audioraven 06-02-2021 02:00 AM

I have a pair of their XLR caps for unused Balanced Outputs. I really like them.

joel_hifi 06-02-2021 03:26 AM

Ivan, I have been a user of Cardas cables in some systems for several years.

I concur with George, they tend to be on the warmer/fuller body side.

In the past the Golden Reference line would typically be associated with digital front end when it sounded a little too forward.

The current Clear and Clear Beyond lines are a bit more resolving, still retaining some of the old midrange emphasis.

I would recommend them for components or systems that need a little cooling down from over-resolution (if that applies for some likings). Probably not ideal for the more relaxed systems. All about system balancing as usual.

George, I'm also using a Cardas Clear power cord with my streamer and been thinking of upgrading to Clear Beyond, which I understand is a nice step forward from the Clear.

On the other hand I have recently replaced a Cardas Clear USB cable with a Kimber Kable KS 2426 (hybrid Cu/Ag), what an improvement in all aspects, but at several times the price so not such a fair comparaison.

cleeds 06-02-2021 08:04 AM

I've been using Cardas Neutral Reference speaker cable for years. It's an excellent cable and does tip a bit to the warm side.

Masterlu 06-02-2021 09:42 AM

Good stuff, thanks.

Soundmig 06-03-2021 01:13 PM

I use Neutral Reference between DAC and Pre and Between Phono-Pre and Pre. So far they best everything else I try in those positions. While they are "warmish" sounding, I find that with careful listening they tend to have "more detail" than some other seemingly more detailed wires. By this I mean the nuances such as the naturalness of the "full spectrum" sound of cymbals, wire brushes on a snare drum, "air" from a saxaphone, air vibrating off off a concert bass drum, rosin on a violin or cello bow/string interaction, the ambience and power of a pipe organ, etc. I've also heard much of their newer line of product and those seem more neutral (like the neutral reference) and nicely and naturally detailed with a richness that seems more natural for some critical interfaces in the system. I've not used the newer power cords, but the old Quadlink 5C Power cord was one of my all time favorites as it was great for DACS, Pre's, even small integrated amps. I have heard systems (including my very own component compliment) at a local dealer fully wired (power, IC, speaker) with upper line Cardas and it was about as perfect as I could imagine (but pricey). I think George knows what he is doing, but cable technology has come a long way. I've not heard similarly priced offerings from WW and Shunyata, so I don't know how they stack up overall. As a musician since age 3.5 with what i believe to be reasonably well tuned ears, I think the Cardas line has merit and tremendous musicality to it. It does require long break in times, and it does require very careful listening keeping the "live sound reference" in mind to truly appreciate Cardas' Cables IMHO. They are kind of like the speaker you pass over the first time or two that you buy speakers, but then realize that, based upon initial or immediate impression, the "less impressive" speaker is sometimes the "better" speaker.

George Prentice 06-03-2021 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joel_hifi (Post 1039312)

George, I'm also using a Cardas Clear power cord with my streamer and been thinking of upgrading to Clear Beyond, which I understand is a nice step forward from the

My audio guy brings over Cardas Clear power cords every time I buy something. I have them in for a while... surprisingly they seem to be a bit warm and lack detail... which to me seems crazy that power cords would have the same bias as interconnects... but, I can only call it as I hear it. But the Clear Beyond is different, I heard an improvement in detail, definition and maybe a drop in the noise floor. So, from my experience they are better... I am getting one for my preamp... if the same effect I will look to do more.

I have WireWorld Silver Electra 7, Shunyata Venom D, DH Labs and a couple others I keep around for comparisons.

Masterlu 06-03-2021 04:31 PM

I did become a Cardas Dealer also. :ok: