AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Magnepan (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   Audiophile Fuses or no Fuses with Maggies (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=19772)

Niles 03-09-2013 09:51 AM

Audiophile Fuses or no Fuses with Maggies

Is anyone out there using or has tried aftermarket audiophile fuses with their Maggies or have you actually bypassed the fuses?

I was wondering about brands like Isoclean Power, Furutech and HiFi-Tuning vs. the stock Littlefuse brand that Magnepan uses.

Your comments are appreciated... :smoking:

junker 03-09-2013 03:00 PM

Great question. I was wondering the same thing...

Also, does any one upgrade the jumpers with jumper wire, silver, etc.?

Rayooo 03-09-2013 03:20 PM

I used to hear of lots of people bypassing the fuses altogether..claiming great results.

I've never bypassed them but have and do use HFT fuses. (They are in the 20.7s)

I've more or less convinced myself of some level of improvement... Fairly cheap tweak....
Having said that I've seen some darned expensive fuses for sale also.

With my 3.6s I used Cardas Jumpers for the external crossover box connections and attenuator connections along with the HFT fuses.
I've not tried other types... Go for it! :)

Sent from my iPad using A.Aficionado

klao 03-09-2013 06:53 PM

I used HiFi Tuning gold fuses in my 1.6's and then 3.6's, both bypassed only the attenuators. Subtle improvement to my ears.

I'm uring the black (supreme?) HiFi Tuning fuses in the 1.7's now. I couldn't bypass the attenuator here. :)

audiot servant 03-09-2013 07:26 PM

The Empirical Designs silver Litz jumpers are really quite inexpensive and much better than the supplied Maggies stock metal bridge... the jumpers will sound immediately more transparent and detailed and perhaps just a tad lean till they are settled in. By then thry are considerably better from bottom to top.

If you put the jumpers in first the improvements you get with upgrading fuses will be easier to appreciate... Overall the move to jumpers yields the greater improvements over the fuses but every little bit helps and both are worthwhile and relatively affordable improvements. Happy tweaking.

G.

Sent from my iPhone using A.Aficionado

Niles 03-11-2013 07:45 AM

Guys, thanks for the feedback!

I've found the HFT fuses on sale at half price so I'm going to get some.

For jumpers I'm using the same 16ga. wire that Magnepan uses for the crossovers. Seems like high quality US-made copper wire.

Cheers... :smoking:

Mike Gillespie 06-19-2015 06:20 PM

Fuse type for the Magneplanar 1.7i and who's tried Synergistic or Hi-Fi Supreme i

Any one know the Fuse type or the 1.7i?

Any one try the Hi-fi Supreme or Gold etc?

Any one try the Synergistic Fuses?

Much difference noted?

Thanks.

ehoove 06-19-2015 06:33 PM

I replaced the stock fuse holders and stock fuses with upgraded fuse holders and HFT fuses with good results in my modified Magnapan MGIIIa's.
Regards,
Jim

scirica 06-19-2015 06:42 PM

I put the Synergistic RED fuse in my PS Audio P5. Seemed to improve the dynamics slightly. Even Paul McGowan himself told me he was a believer in fuse upgrades.

vegaracer1 06-20-2015 04:38 AM

I replace the jumper s with the copper strip that Mapleshade sells for Maggie's with good results too. My 3.7 sounded sweeter after the upgrade.