AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Power Conditioners (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Do you connect your amp to your power conditioner? (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=8546)

Face 11-12-2011 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rilands (Post 188433)
Directly to the wall.

+1...

Rod#S 11-12-2011 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by werd (Post 226399)
I can answer for him and use a quote. His electrician told him.

"you have enough 240 power here to run a laundry mat."

:thumbsup:

:D Thanks, that's awesome.

Boom Boom 04-13-2013 10:44 PM

Do you connect your amp to your power conditioner?

Yes, but I use line conditioners that don't restrict current flow and well shielded thick gauge aftermarket AC chords.

In the first system the Moon W5 is connected via Harmonic Technology Fantasy AC10 to Shunyata Hydra H2 connected to the wall via Shunyata Taipan Alpha. Yes, I borrowed from the dealer before buying. Compared to directly connected to the wall socket, the conditioner cleaned up a lot of AC grunge and noise. The placement of each instrument and performer, the dimensions of the sound stage, and the starting and stopping of sounds all cleared up. This amp is famous for being spacious, articulate, with incredible center fill fleshing out all sorts of sounds between the speakers. All these strengths came alive. The system did something they refer to as "micro dynamic shading" and it is one of the things that high end audio should give you.

The other system, I'm running Linn Majik 2100 Dynamic connected via PS Audio AC-10 to PS Audio Duette connected to the wall via Shunyata Taipan Helix. I was warned by my PS Audio dealer the PS Audio chords may tend to soften the highs. There is no such softening with the Taipan Helix. The sound is expansive dynamic and keeps the Linn's ability to bring out pureness of tone and intricate detail (this is in a smaller room mind you). I got the power conditioner setup before the power amp. My Acoustat TNT120 died and the Linn replaced it. I've not tried plugging the Linn directly into the wall. The system works well though.

Find a good dealer who will let you try the power conditioning products in your system and audition what you can afford to see what you want to own.

Alltubes 04-14-2013 01:32 AM

My Amp is also connected to a non-current limiting RS Jaco conditioner with a HiDiamond P3 20A IEC PC.

:music:

chessman 04-14-2013 11:59 AM

Alltubes, welcome aboard! :wave:

Masterlu 04-14-2013 12:02 PM

Alltubes... Welcome! :wave:

Alltubes 04-14-2013 12:10 PM

Thanks!

Can't believe I waited so long to join; I'm on many other boards...

:D

miketuason 04-14-2013 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheHills44060 (Post 218202)
Have everything plugged into Richard Gray 400's including the amp.

Ah! a Finally, a Richard Gray user. I too, just acquired the Richard Gray 1200c where all my front-end are connected and my two amps straight to the wall.

DonBattles 04-14-2013 01:40 PM

My integrated is plugged into my Hydra 8.

Yamaki 04-14-2013 02:12 PM

I'm plugged into the conditioners. I just felt it was best to protect all the equipment in the system.

RLL1 04-14-2013 03:01 PM

My amps are plugged in to a conditioner. There is one for each amp.

JoelG 05-01-2013 12:53 AM

On my new system, I was strongly encouraged by Audio Research and others to plug the REF 250 amps directly into the wall, preferably with a Furutech receptacle and aftermarket quality power cords and a separate circuit with copper wider to the breaker, a direct ground. Same for a McIntosh amp for the center-surrounds. I was also advised to plug the other Audio REF equipment (phono 2SE and REF 10) into the wall with no power conditioner. On the AV equipment, such as a DVD player, processor, TV etc, I was advised to plug them into a power conditioner (eg. Furman Ref 15), and for all circuits to be on the same phase. So.... that is my plan.

BlueFox 05-01-2013 02:15 AM

My amps are plugged into my Shunyata Triton, which is plugged into a dedicated 20 amp circuit. Not much sense in having a power conditioner if you aren't going to use it.

Eisener Bart 05-01-2013 04:58 AM

My Power Amp T+A is connected to by-pass sockets, i.e. directly to AC line.

Audiofan1 05-02-2013 04:37 AM

I have all my gear, including amps plugged into conditioners with better than direct to wall results. I have 3 conditioners in all and two 20 amp lines, one is 10 awg and has a Ps Audio Soloist Premier inwall conditioner as the foundation for the new Dectet which is fed from the Soloist by an AC 10, this takes care of the pre/pro>Oppo> 3/ch amp (220w per ch), also on the Soloist directly to it, is an Halo A21 fed by an AC 12.

The other conditioner is the Ps Audio Quintet which is on the 12awg line with a Power Port Premier receptacle, the Quintet is fed by an Pangea AC9se and takes care of the Dlp>cable box> and sub.

nothing like good clean power and peace of mind !

rgiorgio 07-15-2013 01:47 AM

Years ago when i was a Krell dealer, i acutally got my ass chewed out by their support for having their amp lugged into a Richard Gray 1200. Had nothing to do with the Richard Gray unit, they just insist on plugging righ into the wall. Sorry, but just havent been able to do it. I live in an area where surge protection is needed. I feel the Richard Gray 1200 provides wnough current and protection. No problems in many years.

Flyingyeff 06-11-2015 07:50 PM

Just received my new Pass X350.8 ��. My "intention" was to start with the factory power cable and go right into the wall to my 20 amp dedicated. However .... The supplied cable couldn't reach the wall OR my conditioner. So for now, and maybe always - I'm running a Panega Ac9 SE power cable (it was on hand and long enough to make it to the conditioner) into my Torus RM 20. So I guess even the best laid plans can be stifled by reality. Gonna sound great anyways !!

BlueFox 06-11-2015 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueFox (Post 486515)
My amps are plugged into my Shunyata Triton, which is plugged into a dedicated 20 amp circuit. Not much sense in having a power conditioner if you aren't going to use it.

Thanks for reviving a two year old thread. Now I have three seperate 20 amp circuits, one for the source, and one for each amp. The amps are now plugged into Shunyata Cyclops power conditioners. After the seperate lines were installed, the amps were plugged directly into the wall. However, after I installed the Cyclops, the sound opened up, and the background noise level droped even more. While the wall is acceptable, the Cyclops bring out the best from the amps.

--------------------------
Lumin S1 file player/DAC
Pass XP-20 pre, X600.5 amps
Magico S5 speakers

Shunyata Triton v2/Typhon for source, Cyclops (2) for amps
Shunyata Z Anaconda XLR analog ICs, Z Anaconda speaker cables
Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (2), power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3, 4 shelf solid maple rack
Three 20 amp circuits.

tima 06-11-2015 10:52 PM

Each amplifier has its own dedicated 20A circuit into whose duplex directly plugs the amp and a Shunyata Typhon power conditioner.

http://www.audioaficionado.org/membe...low-carpet.jpg

cma29 06-11-2015 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tima (Post 706289)
Each amplifier has its own dedicated 20A circuit into whose duplex directly plugs the amp and a Shunyata Typhon power conditioner.

Same thing here except I use the Shunyata Hydra Cyclops :thumbsup:

Surge suppresor is installed at the panel and I use Square D Whole House Surge Protective Device

tima 06-12-2015 01:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cma29 (Post 706300)
Surge suppresor is installed at the panel and I use Square D Whole House Surge Protective Device

+1 !

Busychild9 11-23-2015 12:43 PM

Like many before me, I have 3 dedicated CKTs. Two 15 amp & one 20 amp CKT. The 20 amp CKT provides power via a PS Audio outlet to a Shunyata Hydra for the amps. Very good results. Then one CKT goes to a PS Audio outlet to a voltage stabilizer and AC line conditioner that powers the processor and all the front end equipment. The last CKT goes to a PS Audio outlet and an AC line conditioner and powers the subwoofer and smart lighting system. When I originally set it up, the amps were in the line conditioner. The stabilizer could keep up with the amps once powered up. However, their start up current gave me issues which is why I ended up separating them. I had the amps plugged into the wall. A surge caused 2 of my Hi-Fi Tuning silver supreme fuses to get smoked. That's how I ended up with the Hydra. I am very happy with the performance of the Hydra. To that I will ad one caveat. The Hydra required a 20 A EIC. I used one of those adaptors. The sound went all lean and glassy. I sent the mains line back to the OEM and had them install a Wattgate 20 A EIC and as stupid as that sounds, brought the base back.

kens 11-23-2015 03:19 PM

Both Krells, The LPS and the Cantata are plugged into my Synergistic Research Powercell 10 with very good results. This is the only power conditioner that I know of that is not current limiting.

http://i487.photobucket.com/albums/r...k/IMG_3720.jpg

Masterlu 11-23-2015 03:49 PM

Busychild9... Welcome to AA! :wave:

4music 12-06-2015 01:15 PM

Everything connected to SIN Audio PSD 6. IMO beats any conditioner, at any price. Music just flows freely. Completely silent black background. Endless unconstrained dynamics. Live music is the best reference. If you have not tried a passive approach, I recommend it to every audiophile...and SIN Audio PSD is something very special.

chessman 12-07-2015 12:42 AM

I go straight to the wall with a pair of Shunyata Sigma HCs (dual mono amp). The cables employ passive conditioning with no current limiting.

cleeds 12-07-2015 10:52 AM

It's common for users here to suggest that many power conditioners limit current. While I don't doubt that some power conditioners can have a negative effect on sound, I'm dubious that the cause is necessarily the device limiting current into an amplifier. I base this on actually measuring current with and without a power conditioner, using the same amplifier and musical test signal.

In my system, I have two pairs of Tice Power Blocks and Titans. There is a pair of each for each of my two amplifiers - I have a biamplified system - and each pair is on its own dedicated, derated 20 amp line. These power conditioners do not limit current. Yes, they can alter the sound of a system and yes, that difference can change depending on the installation. But whatever difference is noted, I'm convinced it isn't caused by current limiting.

There are many variables involved when we consider power conditioning, and the quality of a utility's power and a home's wiring are among them. In my experience, it's likely that whatever problem a system has with electrical power is rooted in these two variables. I'm unconvinced that "current limiting" by a properly-sized power conditioner is a factor.

chessman 12-07-2015 11:25 AM

I do not know if every active power conditioner is limiting or if none of them are. I just know that my amp blew the fuse in my active conditioner regularly upon amp power up. It may have been simply inrush current (it's a big amp). I was not staking out a position on active conditioners or other brands, just that Shunyata Sigma is passive conditioning and is not itself current limiting.

cleeds 12-07-2015 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chessman (Post 745489)
I do not know if every active power conditioner is limiting or if none of them are. I just know that my amp blew the fuse in my active conditioner regularly upon amp power up. It may have been simply inrush current (it's a big amp) ...

Chessman, I wasn't responding specifically to you. But I'm interested in your experience just the same. If your conditioner's fuse blew on amp power-up, it obviously couldn't provide sufficient current for your amp! Case closed!

In my system, each Power Block/Titan pair turn on simultaneously along with the associated amplifier by means of a single switch. It has never blown a fuse or tripped a breaker, although every light in the house momentarily dims.

jororupp 12-07-2015 01:00 PM

All my gear is connected to an Accuphase PS-1220. When watching TV you can even see how the screen presentation is improved by the PS.

BWLover 12-07-2015 03:23 PM

I'm definitely no expert on this subject, but I was also curious about connecting my amp to my conditioner. I put the conditioners screen on the one that shows how much of the power capacity you are using out of the conditioner. So I put on some electronic music (I figured heavy bass would demand the most power) and cranked it up as loud as I could without damaging the speakers. If memory serves it said I was using 45%-50%. So if I am only using half it's capacity, why would I plug it directly into the wall? Am I missing something here?

Bowers & Wilkins 683 Speakers Rotel RB-1090 2 Channel Amp Rotel RC-1082 Stereo Pre Amp Rotel RCD-1072 CD Player Pro-Ject Debut Carbon w/ Ortofon 2M Red (sitting on a piece of slate supported by 3 "solid tech feet of silence" isolation feet) Rotel RLC-1040 Power Conditioner Shynyata Research SR-Z1 Power Outlet & Venom 3 Power Cords x 4 Tara Labs RSC Vector 1 Speaker Cables & Interconnects Primacoustic Room Treatments

chessman 12-07-2015 03:44 PM

I think the answer to whether active line conditioning is current limiting is likely system specific and, perhaps, implementation specific. Remember that power cords can limit current, too. Bottom line: no universal answer, try it both ways in your own system. :)

4music 12-07-2015 09:09 PM

I had the opportunity to directly compare Super Titan Isotek vs Furutech etp 309 vs SIN Audio PSD. The passive approach is just right to music. Furutech is a great value when price is taken in consideration, PSD has liberated the whole system and allowed performance on a completely new level, while the Super Titan...probably justifies its name with its price and size.

bigblue 12-08-2015 03:12 AM

I have the Isotek Sigmas EVO 3. When auditioning the Isotek (I also had an Isol8 and 2 Transparent Power Isolators at hand) I found that the Sigmas was the best match for me and my system. It contributed with calm blackness.
When connecting the amp directly to the wall outlet I get a somewhat "harder" and a more "restless" presentation.

Joe Appierto 12-09-2015 12:47 AM

My wall outlets and the outlets in my Audio Excellence Power Wing II are the same -- Oyaide R-1. So, any differences I hear when plugging the conrad-johnson CA200 integrated into them should be the effect of the power line conditioner.

I prefer the sound with the Power Wing II: blacker background, more low level detail, and a wider/deeper sound stage. Of course this is going to be system dependent but that's what I've found to be the case for mine.

PMCH 12-10-2015 11:21 PM

I prefer my amps plugged into my Audience aR2p-TO conditioner over just plugging them into the wall outlet. When I had a Purepower 2000, I preferred plugging the amps into the wall outlet.

BlueFox 12-11-2015 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chessman (Post 745452)
I go straight to the wall with a pair of Shunyata Sigma HCs (dual mono amp). The cables employ passive conditioning with no current limiting.

You should add a pair of Shunyata Hydra Cyclops v2 to each line. You will be amazed at the reduced noise and increased clarity of the sound.

------------------------------

Lumin S1
Pass XP-20 pre, X600.5 amps
Magico S5 speakers

Shunyata Triton v2/Typhon for source, Cyclops v2 (2) for amps
Shunyata Z Anaconda XLR analog ICs, Z Anaconda speaker cables
Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables
Revelation Audio Passage Cryo-Silver Reference DB-25 umbilical power cable

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
Three 20 amp circuits.

tunes 12-11-2015 03:30 PM

Can you not run both amps through one cyclops?

crwilli 12-11-2015 03:50 PM

With either my MC452 or the MC275s, I connect them directly to the 20 amp dedicated lines. All the rest of my 'front end' components are connected to a PS Audio PPP which also is connected to its own 20 amp line.

Sent from my iPad using A.Aficionado

BlueFox 12-11-2015 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tunes (Post 746378)
Can you not run both amps through one cyclops?

You could, but I found it is better to have two seperate lines for two amps.