AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Power Conditioners (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Do you connect your amp to your power conditioner? (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=8546)

FRO 07-26-2022 04:09 PM

I'm running my Rowland 925 amps into the Everest, which is fed to the wall with an Omega XC power cord.
They sound glorious!

JoeN 07-26-2022 04:35 PM

Amps directly into the wall (dedicated circuits)
Everything else into Shunayta Everest (dedicated circuit)
Everything - amps and Everest - on the same phase.

eljr 07-26-2022 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bart (Post 169482)
I connect all my electronics to the power conditioner.
The manufacturer recommends it.

Interesting, I understood McIntosh recommended not to. Did I misunderstand? Do different companies have differing views?

eljr 07-26-2022 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeN (Post 1064303)
Amps directly into the wall (dedicated circuits)

Same.

Famester V1 07-26-2022 05:02 PM

Richard at Shunyata instructed me to connect amp directly to dedicated circuit outlets and everything else including both JL Audio Fathom subs to my 6000S v2, which is connected to same dedicated circuit.

Fbgbill 07-26-2022 10:55 PM

I have everything plugged into my power conditioner. Its all McIntosh.

Puma Cat 07-27-2022 12:21 AM

Yes. Why? Because the large QR/BB device(s) in my Shunyata Everest power distributor (PD) provides considerable charge "on demand". Why is this important? Well, when the full-wave bridge rectifiers in the amp's power supply (PS) snaps open during demanding or challenging passages, due to reactance*, less charge is actually available when the power supply rectifiers pull hard on the mains. This means the amp's power supply is getting less charge, and, it's getting less charge just...when it needs it the most! :doh:

The QR/BB devices in Everest and Denali provides a large reservoir of charge when needed during those demanding passages and ameliorates the impact of reactance. This makes the presentation much more dynamic, lifelike, and engaging.

* – Reactance is the measure of the opposition to the flow of alternating current caused by the inductance and capacitance in a circuit

Fbgbill 07-27-2022 08:20 AM

Not sure why someone at McIntosh would say to connect your amps direct and everything else to the power controller. I have the MPC1500 and the owners manual shows that you connect your amp to the controller. My first power controller was the MPC500 and I emailed McIntosh support to ask if I was OK to connect all of my units to it and they said I was. The MPC500 is nothing like the 1500.

GSOphile 07-27-2022 09:32 AM

Yes. I only have two devices - a Gryphon Diablo 300 and an Esoteric K-01XD SACD Player driven by a dedicated 20 amp circuit through a Shunyata Sigma XC - Denali 6000/S V2. As explained by Puma above, the Denali's QR/BB is the reason. It improves the dynamics of both units, especially the integrated. If I had more units feeding off the Denali (maybe four or more), I'd probably be wanting to feed the Diablo direct from the wall.

Just a point of information: I've never seen an amplifier manufacturer recommend driving their amps other than directly from the wall - because they have no idea whose power conditioners (with various technologies and operating characteristics) will be used. So why take a chance? Play it safe: direct to the wall.

dixon007 07-27-2022 10:52 AM

I am also of the opinion that amps should be plugged into a Reference level Shunyata PC, if possible. A sound test comparing the 2 options should clarify it.