AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Wyred 4 Sound (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=166)
-   -   W4S Modified Sonos Port (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=49579)

Maks 02-23-2021 06:31 AM

W4S Modified Sonos Port

Does anyone own one of these? I'm not a big digital music guy, but I am in the process of ripping my CDs to store on my NAS. I also have a bedside Internet clock radio and I like the interface for listening to streaming radio stations. Currently I use a Mac Mini to do all of this on my main system, but it seems like the Sonos would be a cleaner setup. Logging into the Mac desktop remotely, then opening a browser or apps is just not the greatest user experience. Is the upgrade really worth it over the stock Sonos Port?

Main uses would be: Streaming digital files from a NAS, Internet radio, SiriusXM streaming.

clpetersen 02-23-2021 08:50 AM

The Port is a pretty big upgrade from the previous Connect. I might start with the unmodified version to see how you like it. The Port works very well through either the Sonos app, streaming services (e.g. Spotify connect) or as a Roon endpoint.

W9TR 02-23-2021 10:31 AM

Maks - I have the previous W4S version for the Connect. It made a big improvement over the stock Connect.

The Sonos app is pretty good too.

crwilli 02-23-2021 10:53 AM

You can also control your Sonos devices with ROON. In addition to the sweet user interface and content, the advantage is it will automatically convert any formats your Sonos won’t play to those it will. For example, it will downsample DSD to Flac for you on the fly.

It simplifies things.

Maks 02-23-2021 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by W9TR (Post 1033254)
Maks - I have the previous W4S version for the Connect. It made a big improvement over the stock Connect.

The Sonos app is pretty good too.

I've slowly been looking into this over the last couple weeks, I've read mixed things about the sound quality on the Port and I've heard so many great reviews on the W4S modded Connects. I don't need anything w/built-in storage so the Port is an appealing device for me at what seems to be a reasonable price with lots of added convenience over remoting into my Mac Mini.

Maks 02-27-2021 08:36 PM

Well since I have a spare Remedy kicking around, I decided not to go w/the modified Port. Plus it's sold out.

Masterlu 02-27-2021 09:42 PM

W4S is a Sponsor, and I am an authorized dealer. Subscribers don’t pay retail. ;)

Maks 02-28-2021 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 1033692)
W4S is a Sponsor, and I am an authorized dealer. Subscribers don’t pay retail. ;)

If I decide to change my mind, you'll be the first PM I send! :thumbsup:

Leew 08-24-2021 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 1033692)

Are the modified ports in stock? I have a port from sonos on order but they are backordered until November

Thanks,

Lee

Masterlu 08-24-2021 09:39 AM

PM sent