AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Harbeth Speakers (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=185)
-   -   Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=42081)

PHC1 02-06-2018 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeAllan70 (Post 897623)
"Cape Cod: New System Coming"...

Old Accuphase clearance sale coming... :scratch2:

Always a possibility. :D

GreginNH1 02-06-2018 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeAllan70 (Post 897619)

You forgot to say "Sexy"! :D

GeAllan70 02-06-2018 03:26 PM

:laughin:

Soundmig 02-07-2018 01:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tratliff (Post 897590)
Serge, sounds like you are really enjoying the Harbeths. I was lucky enough to audition a pair of the 30.2's at a friends place. They sounded great.

I have been considering replacing my speakers with a pair of 40.2's but cannot seem to find a place to audition them. My preference would be a in home trial but I have not been successful on that yet.

Good luck with the new system and enjoy!

Maybe attend one of the shows. I've heard the 40.2's twice at RMAF. The 40.2 is a special speaker. You'll be glad you auditioned them when you get the chance.

PHC1 02-07-2018 01:42 AM

The Harbeth 30.2 and the new dancing partner PrimaLuna Dialogue HP saw 12 hours of straight music marathon/break in. Every few hours I would sit in the sweet spot and give them a listen. Sometime in the afternoon I cued up the album by the Chinese singer Zhao Peng on Roon. Well, what was supposed to be a quick listen and back to work, turned out to be a 45 min listening session. I just couldn't pull away. Incredibly musical and satisfying pair across the board.

https://is4-ssl.mzstatic.com/image/t.../600x600bf.jpg

robfine 02-07-2018 09:49 AM

I am starting to look for new speakers. My room is 14x17. I have to have it set up to listen across the short dimension and the long wall has about 16 in deep in half height cabinetry in front of which would go the speakers. This gives me about a 8 foot per side equilateral triangle. My list to check out includes Canton Ref 9K, Dynaudio Special 40, B&W 805d3, Bryston Mini T and possibly Aerial 5t. I’ve always wondered about Harbeth but never had a chance to hear them. I’m using a PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium Integrated with KT120s. The Harbeths are a little inefficient but the listening distance and room is small. Are the 30.2s too big for the room and distance or too inefficient for the PL? (I’ve thought about upgrading to the HP but I’m in Miami and concerned about the heat although my Dialogue Premium doesn’t seem too bad in that respect and it is using the 120s).

Thoughts?

Thanks

tratliff 02-07-2018 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundmig (Post 897769)
Maybe attend one of the shows. I've heard the 40.2's twice at RMAF. The 40.2 is a special speaker. You'll be glad you auditioned them when you get the chance.

Soundmig - thanks for the tip.

I'm in Dallas and have not made it to any of the BIG shows. We have LSAF but that is more of a home grown individual show than big dealers and manufactures. I need to just dedicate a weekend and make a trip.

Serge - Sorry for the thread hijack.

PHC1 02-07-2018 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robfine (Post 897799)
I am starting to look for new speakers. My room is 14x17. I have to have it set up to listen across the short dimension and the long wall has about 16 in deep in half height cabinetry in front of which would go the speakers. This gives me about a 8 foot per side equilateral triangle. My list to check out includes Canton Ref 9K, Dynaudio Special 40, B&W 805d3, Bryston Mini T and possibly Aerial 5t. I’ve always wondered about Harbeth but never had a chance to hear them. I’m using a PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium Integrated with KT120s. The Harbeths are a little inefficient but the listening distance and room is small. Are the 30.2s too big for the room and distance or too inefficient for the PL? (I’ve thought about upgrading to the HP but I’m in Miami and concerned about the heat although my Dialogue Premium doesn’t seem too bad in that respect and it is using the 120s).

Thoughts?

Thanks

Those dimensions should work. I tried the 30.2 in a 12x15 and although they did not couple to the walls as bad as some other speakers would, they did sound warmer then they should which gave them a slight chestiness and nasal quality on female vocals. They just needed a bit more room to sound natural. Im very picky though and it has to sound perfect to my ears.

As far as the PrimaLuna, have no doubt it will drive them easily in a room your size. My 30.2 are now in a 26x31 room and even in Triode mode they fill the room with balanced sound effortlessly. The HP is a very ballsy tube amp and the other models should be good too. Have a listen to the 30.2 and see if they do it for you.

PHC1 02-07-2018 12:04 PM

One other observation is that these being British monitors and are often used in smaller living spaces than what we are used to, do very well with near field listening as in the more conventional setup. No treble peakiness near or far, the tweeters are extremely well behaved. The midrange is fantastic and either way and midbass may sound just a touch plumper and warmer if you place them closer to the walls than they should be but nothing major. Fairly easy speaker to accommodate.

GreginNH1 02-07-2018 12:09 PM

Serge - I am glad you are having a great time with your new speakers!