AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Turntables & Tonearms (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Turntable issue - interference/feed back (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=49467)

miner 01-31-2021 04:21 PM

Turntable issue - interference/feed back

Looking for some guidance fellas. I have a C2300 pre, 2 MC275 MKVI in mono block setup, turntable is a VPI Aries 3. Currently running a standard 3D arm with upgraded wiring and a VAS Nova HW cartridge. FYI, the issue also happened with my Fatboy/Cadenza Black combo. I was getting huge amounts of feed back at higher volumes. Could not chase down a solution after numerous tries at isolation, configuration of equipment, etc. Here is what I have discovered: with arm/cartridge down on a stationary LP, not spinning, as I turn the volume past 75 on the C2300 the noise begins, past 85 it is making the woofers pump erratically. My turntable ICs are WW Eclipse 8. Phono pre tubes are Tele. Amp tubes are all Gold Lion gold pins. Not sure what to think about this. In another forum a member had the same issue lesser equipment. He changed his phono ICs but I would think the Eclipse 8 series would be well shield from EMF. Thoughts and suggestions please. I like my music loud at times. Thanks in advance. :tresbon:

Masterlu 01-31-2021 05:12 PM

Kevin... doubtful it is caused by cables. What isolation does your plinth rest on?

edkoz 01-31-2021 05:13 PM

problem with bad ground?

Masterlu 01-31-2021 05:27 PM

Feedback at higher gains is entering thru the cartridge due to less than ideal TT isolation.

miner 01-31-2021 05:29 PM

Isolation is a 2.5” bamboo/cork platform on Stillpoints Ultra SS.

miner 01-31-2021 05:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a brief video of the issue

Masterlu 01-31-2021 06:34 PM

Kevin... an HRS Isolation platform will solve your issue. We can chat about witch model makes the most sense.

miner 01-31-2021 08:16 PM

Ok, we have previously. My issue was it is not a standard size I needed. Why is this happening - I don’t understand what is getting to the cartridge when not even playing?

Antonmb 01-31-2021 10:37 PM

Kevin, as I recall, you’ve had this problem for a while. Is a volume setting of 75 a level at which you would listen? Also what are you using under your table for footers these days? In my experience at least, if the noise occurs just while playing music, it may be airborne vibrations from a room mode exciting the stylus. In the situation you show in your video, when you’re not playing music, it’s most likely small mechanical vibrations getting to the platter and being picked up by the stylus. This could be from the motor, if it’s running, or from other sources in the room or even elsewhere in the house, e.g. a refrigerator on the floor below, a water pump, an air conditioner, etc. If it’s at an excessive volume level, it could even be airborne background noise in the room.

As Ivan points out, an HRS platform may be the solution, but if you can identify the source and frequency of the vibration, that will help guide you.

joey_v 01-31-2021 10:45 PM

Knock on wood, I have no issues with my table on an SRA Scuttle rack.
Maybe it’s your isolation combo.
Have you checked the phono cable?