AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Focal Speakers (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=159)
-   -   Focal 1038be and Aerial 7T (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=32844)

Jagman 08-30-2015 12:05 PM

Focal 1038be and Aerial 7T

I've spent about 6 hours on 4 different occasions auditioning the 1038's. My overall impressions are very positive. They are very dynamic, fast and lively speakers. They are on the opposite end of laid back. Still, they are very musical and fun speakers. All things that I really enjoy in a speaker. During each listening session however there has been a few times where the highs were a bit bothersome to me. The speakers are demos and I would consider them pretty broken in. My concern is that they would become fatiguing over time. The other concern is that the real deal on these is in the black ash low luster finish vs the other gorgeous finishes offered.
My short list speakers up to now have been used Bowers 802 Diamonds, 803 Di's, Wilson Sophia and Sasha. The new options were Vandersteen Treo's and Wilson Sabrina's. I have ruled out all either due to cost, (Sabrina's, Sasha's), or preference, (Treos, 803D's), with only the pre-owned 802's left.
Added to my final list are a pair of new Aeiral 7T's. I have violated a rule of mine by adding them to the list; I've not heard them. Still I'm interested and more than a little tempted to take the leap of faith based on glowing reviews, the overwhelming opinion of how musical and non fatiguing they are, and I'd be lying if If I didn't admit I've also been seduced by what I consider to be the most aesthetically pleasing speakers I've seen. Plus, their size, while still being a solid full ranger fits the shared family room where they would reside perfectly. I also admit than their longstanding position on Stereophiles recommended speakers list has my attention. But again I haven't heard them. I'm posting this in the Focal forum in hopes of gazing a more clear perspective as it relates to the Electras and the 7T's before I make a decision as soon as this coming week. I appreciate any input.

Masterlu 08-30-2015 12:26 PM

Tim... Walt... Joe... Brian... Charles... feel free to chime in on your experience with 7T's ;)

scirica 08-30-2015 01:54 PM

Yes, the Aerial's have glowing reviews and a great recommendation level on Stereophile. However, having spent some time with you in "audition mode", I can't imagine that you would buy a speaker without listening to it. Heck, I came close to buying a pair of 7T's before I settled on the Bryston Model T's...But only after I auditioned them on two separate occasions.

The good news is you are working from a phenomenal list of choices and I'm sure you will be happy when you make that final decision!

Jagman 08-30-2015 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scirica (Post 723214)
Yes, the Aerial's have glowing reviews and a great recommendation level on Stereophile. However, having spent some time with you in "audition mode", I can't imagine that you would buy a speaker without listening to it. Heck, I came close to buying a pair of 7T's before I settled on the Bryston Model T's...But only after I auditioned them on two separate occasions.

The good news is you are working from a phenomenal list of choices and I'm sure you will be happy when you make that final decision!

Thanks Steve. Enjoyed hearing your Model T's! That of course makes sense. Wish there was somewhere I could hear them. DFW is such a weird high end audio market. :no: I know it sounds strange, but by every description they too sound like my kind of speakers without perhaps the exaggerated treble.

joey_v 08-30-2015 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scirica (Post 723214)

Bingo.

Best of luck my friend

JGM411 09-01-2015 09:29 PM

It has been a few years since I made my decision to buy the Aerial Model 7T and there is not a day that I am disappointed. There is a rare day when I don't listen to them and smile.

Prior to my decision to buy Aerial Model 7t, I listened to Focals 1038, Wilson sophias, and several of the Vienna series of speakers.

I kept going back to Aerial. I purchased my first high(er) end stereo system back in November 1979 while attending the University of Illinois. While I was auditioning new speakers and a new stereo, I returned to the audio dealer who sold me my first system which was abou five years ago. My oldest kid was a student at UIllinois and on a whim, i went to visit his store.... 30 years later. My long time audio dealer told me that the Aerial model 7t's were the best sounding speaker he had ever heard for a speaker under $10K.

And they keep getting better. Michael Kelly is a great speaker builder.

Aesthetically, these speakers are outstanding!!!! I am a woodworker and the fit and finish on these speakers are superb!

Good luck with your decision. If you choose Aerial 7t's I couldn't imagine you being disappointed.

all the best

Jagman 09-01-2015 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JGM411 (Post 723647)
It has been a few years since I made my decision to buy the Aerial Model 7T and there is not a day that I am disappointed. There is a rare day when I don't listen to them and smile.

Prior to my decision to buy Aerial Model 7t, I listened to Focals 1038, Wilson sophias, and several of the Vienna series of speakers.

I kept going back to Aerial. I purchased my first high(er) end stereo system back in November 1979 while attending the University of Illinois. While I was auditioning new speakers and a new stereo, I returned to the audio dealer who sold me my first system which was abou five years ago. My oldest kid was a student at UIllinois and on a whim, i went to visit his store.... 30 years later. My long time audio dealer told me that the Aerial model 7t's were the best sounding speaker he had ever heard for a speaker under $10K.

And they keep getting better. Michael Kelly is a great speaker builder.

Aesthetically, these speakers are outstanding!!!! I am a woodworker and the fit and finish on these speakers are superb!

Good luck with your decision. If you choose Aerial 7t's I couldn't imagine you being disappointed.

all the best

Thank you Joe. I appreciate your input. It's really between the Focal 1038be's and the 7T's and I'm going to decide tomorrow! There's a lot I like about the Focals. The treble hasn't been harsh anywhere close to all the time, just occasionally with certain recordings. Harder is that haven't heard the 7T's, but continue to get rave reviews from owners. I do love the look of them and in the past have enjoyed very musical speakers. I don't want to give up high resolution and definition though. I hear no worries there with the 7T's.

jmw31 09-01-2015 09:56 PM

Absolutely love my 7Ts after more than a year. They just disappear with most recordings. Seamless sound from top to bottom. Very involving. Sound great with tubes or solid state. Sing with my combo of CJ ET5/Bryston 14SST2. I also found them easy to place in my room.

mchydro 09-01-2015 11:00 PM

This is all exciting for me to hear. I will be an Aerial Acoustics speaker owner pretty soon. It's great to hear consistently good reviews.

Also, from what I've read about Focals, they sound like fantastic speakers as well. Good luck with your decision!

aclearspot 09-02-2015 10:04 AM

Soooo What speakers are you buying ????????