AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Shooting Sports (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   Arizona Shooting Tragedy (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=28145)

custodian 08-27-2014 08:23 AM

Arizona Shooting Tragedy

Reported in the press this week is a story of an instructor being killed on a shooting range in Arizona. The student who lost control was a 9 year old girl. The weapon was an Uzi set to automatic.

Can somebody explain to me how this could be allowed to happen.

Family Progtitioner 08-27-2014 08:27 AM

yeah guns

custodian 08-27-2014 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Family Progtitioner (Post 633956)
yeah guns

Well that's a helpful comment. Thanks. I understand it now

Robert_Anderson 08-27-2014 09:06 AM

It's just a matter of time before everyone on opposite sides of the issue chime in and exploit this tragedy to further their respective causes. Too bad, considering that the families of both victims should be everyone's primary concern.

Haurock 08-27-2014 09:09 AM

Good question. Not sure why a 9 year old child would be allowed to handle an UZI, under any circumstance.

I suppose, one might argue that it was lucky no innocent bystanders were killed since I think the responsibility lies with those who were managing the facility and the parents. Of course, we don't know who the young child got access to the UZI... by that I mean, without knowing the full story, I wouldn't want to be pointing fingers... too quickly.

How can this happen? Because stupidity in human beings is highly under-rated...

Robert_Anderson 08-27-2014 09:15 AM

Apparently it happened with an instructor present when she lost control of the weapon.

Haurock 08-27-2014 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert_Anderson (Post 633969)
Apparently it happened with an instructor present when she lost control of the weapon.

So,.. this was supposed to be a controlled situation? :no:...

Anyone who's been in the military is well aware of the many safety controls that are in place on firing ranges... and the many close calls that instructors face...

I cannot fathom how a firing range facility would allow a 9 year old child within the vicinity of the firing butts, let alone let them handle such a deadly weapon.

If the instructor was present.. and teaching/guiding this girl to handle the UZI... then.. I'm sorry, he/she got what they deserve...

Mikado463 08-27-2014 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert_Anderson (Post 633969)

actually, if this is all true, then control was 'lost' when the instructor allowed a nine year old to handle such a weapon………….. there is no known cure for 'stupid' !

Robert_Anderson 08-27-2014 09:24 AM

I actually saw a link to a video of it on Facebook, but I thought it was obscene to watch the entire thing, hence my first post. I learned how to shoot from my father when I was young, and he never, ever, would have let me fire a large caliber or automatic weapon at that age. I suppose the parents thought everything was under control with an instructor. Just a tragedy in every way for the dead instructor and his family, and God only knows the impact of the incident with the little girl.

custodian 08-27-2014 09:35 AM

I wasn't using this as a general comment on the gun lobby. I've got my own views on that, however this particular set of circumstances seemed to be of such lunacy. It made me wonder how common it was that young children get to fire such weapons. I can't believe there are no restrictions other than relying on the obviously absent common sense.