AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Cary Audio Design (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   SLP-05 question (plate current and plate voltage readings) (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=49675)

mike175gr 03-15-2021 02:05 AM

SLP-05 question (plate current and plate voltage readings)

I have a SLP-05 preamp and I really enjoy it, but I have looked everywhere to find out what the correct plate voltage and plate current voltage should be.

Can you please tell me what the readings should be?

They are currently:

1) Plate voltage: ( 248 VDC)

2) Plate current: (54 ma.)

If low, what would cause that and how to correct it? (New rectifier tube?)

It does sounds good though...

The manual does not explain that very clearly to me. (maybe I am thick though!)

Formerly YB-2 03-15-2021 08:32 AM

Talk to Steve Witek at steve@caryaudio.com at Cary. He has always been helpful and answered all my questions. Will provide most any info other than providing actual schematics.

mike175gr 03-15-2021 11:22 AM

Steve just replied:

One meter reads the main high voltage out to the tubes. It will read around 210V to about 230V depending on your AC voltage coming in. When your AC voltage is higher the transformer will produce a higher main high voltage. Sometimes as high as 238V This is fine. The higher the better. If you have no voltage here then you need to check the fuses and maybe the 5AR4 rectifier tube.

The other meter reads the current being consumed by the tubes. This will usually read (depending on the tubes used) around 50ma to 65ma. No problem here. If it one day reads high like 90 or higher then you may have a bad tube that is causing a short and drawing too much current. Turn it off. Then it's a good time to test your tubes or get new ones.

oceansmagnet 04-16-2021 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike175gr (Post 1034944)
Steve just replied:

One meter reads the main high voltage out to the tubes. It will read around 210V to about 230V depending on your AC voltage coming in. When your AC voltage is higher the transformer will produce a higher main high voltage. Sometimes as high as 238V This is fine. The higher the better. If you have no voltage here then you need to check the fuses and maybe the 5AR4 rectifier tube.

The other meter reads the current being consumed by the tubes. This will usually read (depending on the tubes used) around 50ma to 65ma. No problem here. If it one day reads high like 90 or higher then you may have a bad tube that is causing a short and drawing too much current. Turn it off. Then it's a good time to test your tubes or get new ones.

Thank you for posting this! I have been scouring the web trying to understand if the 52 mA plate current on my Slp-05 was normal and what it meant.

Masterlu 04-16-2021 06:41 PM

oceansmagnet... Welcome to AA! :wave:

FreddieFerric 11-17-2021 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike175gr (Post 1034930)
I have a SLP-05 preamp and I really enjoy it, but I have looked everywhere to find out what the correct plate voltage and plate current voltage should be.

Can you please tell me what the readings should be?

They are currently:

1) Plate voltage: ( 248 VDC)

2) Plate current: (54 ma.)

If low, what would cause that and how to correct it? (New rectifier tube?)

It does sounds good though...

The manual does not explain that very clearly to me. (maybe I am thick though!)

What is your opinion of this preamp. Do you like it? Can you describe its sound? Asking because I'm in the market as it were.

mike175gr 12-10-2021 05:31 PM

I really like this preamp a lot! I have installed a set of the Pope NOS 6SN7 tubes and a Philips metal base mini watt 5AR4 Rectifier Tube in Power Supply.

Beautiful sound... Joey V (he posts a lot on this site) suggested it and I am very happy that he did!!

FreddieFerric 12-11-2021 10:06 AM

Thanks for the response Mike. I've heard nothing but good things about the Cary preamps.

Audionut22 01-07-2023 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 (Post 1034931)
Talk to Steve Witek at steve@caryaudio.com at Cary. He has always been helpful and answered all my questions. Will provide most any info other than providing actual schematics.

I drew my own schematic up for the CAD 300SEI