AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   McIntosh Audio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   3500 Lottery Came In (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=51554)

John Jordan 09-09-2022 09:07 AM

3500 Lottery Came In

1 Attachment(s)
After tossing my hat in the ring last January, my number came up last week. Meanwhile, the transformer replacement for one of my MC-75's was who knows how far away.

The folks at Audio Classics however had a single Gold Anniversary 75. Using my other 75 we had an A/B comparison. A really fair deal was worked on the 75's as an as is trade along with the 275. It's done.

Charles, I understand what you meant by the breath of the vocals.

Cheers!

John

FreddieFerric 09-09-2022 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Jordan (Post 1066163)
After tossing my hat in the ring last January, my number came up last week. Meanwhile, the transformer replacement for one of my MC-75's was who knows how far away.

The folks at Audio Classics however had a single Gold Anniversary 75. Using my other 75 we had an A/B comparison. A really fair deal was worked on the 75's as an as is trade along with the 275. It's done.

Charles, I understand what you meant by the breath of the vocals.

Cheers!

John

Congratulations John. Well done indeed. :thumbsup:

j3brow 09-09-2022 08:10 PM

Big congrats!!!! Have a great weekend.

Charles 09-10-2022 03:41 PM

John, absolute congrats!. I believe the 3500 is the most powerful and finest tube power amplifier on the planet. In tube amps watts really do matter since the sonics do not deteriorate as the amp approaches clipping. But you never want any amp to clip as it may it may damage the amp or destroy a tube.

I know that with my XVX I need at least 500 continuous watts to feel comfortable. I think that you will discover a new vitality and resolution in your bass as you listen more. I know that very surprisingly the 3500's bass is superior to my 1.25KW's. The difference is not night and day but easy to hear nevertheless. Strangely, this difference also extends into the very low bass range below 25 Hz. I can't say enough about the operation of my 3500's. In years past I treated my MC275 just like ti was a solid state amp. I turned it on and off when I was through listening. I do the same for my 3500's. So far it has been rock solid. I attribute some of this to my AQ Niagara 5000 power conditioners and 20 amp lines direct to the fuse box, one per amp. Also two Dragon HC power cords per amp. I have zero hum at the XVX with the volume set at 100% with all sources. I have never tried this with my tuner. My system is dead quiet. I think with top quality amps the ancillaries are quite important.

I hope you enjoy yours as much as I have mine. They are the last amps I will ever buy. Again congratulations!

Best

Charles

LewL 09-12-2022 11:31 PM

Me too! Hoping it will have a little fuller sound than my IPhone playing through a Peachtree Nova via an old usb cable.

Top box is an N-01XD streamer/DAC.

https://www.audioaficionado.org/pict...pictureid=5713

FreddieFerric 09-13-2022 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LewL (Post 1066337)
Me too! Hoping it will have a little fuller sound than my IPhone playing through a Peachtree Nova via an old usb cable.

Top box is an N-01XD streamer/DAC.

https://www.audioaficionado.org/pict...pictureid=5713

I wouldn't get my hopes up. :lmao:

Seriously though, you certainly hit this one out of the park. Congratulations.

What speakers are you going to pair with the Mc kit?

LewL 09-13-2022 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FreddieFerric (Post 1066354)
I wouldn't get my hopes up. :lmao:

Seriously though, you certainly hit this one out of the park. Congratulations.

What speakers are you going to pair with the Mc kit?

Thanks! I have an old pair of Paradigm S2 v2. But they are super broken in.��

They are going too. Focal Scala Evos will be taking their place.

Formerly YB-2 09-13-2022 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LewL (Post 1066364)
Thanks! I have an old pair of Paradigm S2 v2. But they are super broken in.��

They are going too. Focal Sopra Evos will be taking their place.

You made me go look, thinking the Sopra line had been 'up-graded' to Evo status. Am guessing you are getting Utopia Evo rather than Sopra. Any Evo should be an outstanding match with your new MC3500 amps.

When I auditioned the Sopra 3s pre-covid the system was set up with a pair of Utopia Evo speakers. I listened to them for about 30 minutes before the shop could switch to the Sopra 3s. There was no way I could own the Sopra after having heard the Evo. It was a big difference.

LewL 09-13-2022 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 (Post 1066367)
You made me go look, thinking the Sopra line had been 'up-graded' to Evo status. Am guessing you are getting Utopia Evo rather than Sopra. Any Evo should be an outstanding match with your new MC3500 amps.

When I auditioned the Sopra 3s pre-covid the system was set up with a pair of Utopia Evo speakers. I listened to them for about 30 minutes before the shop could switch to the Sopra 3s. There was no way I could own the Sopra after having heard the Evo. It was a big difference.

Apologies: Scala Evo. No idea why I typed Sopra. I haven’t ever heard them. Was on a conference call and not paying full attention when I typed. Maestros were too big. Magico M2 also sounded sublime but huge jump in price over the Scalas. Of course some M2s became available at a reasonable price on Audio Mart after my Scalas came in.

I had heard so many good things about Sonus Faber Amati Traditions and Serafinas with Mac gear that inwas sure that that was what i was going to get, but they sounded really closed up compared to the Scalas and the M2s. I wanted to dislike the Scalas the most and like either SF the most based on aesthetics, but it turned out just the opposite. I did not like the way the Focals looked, but their sound was amazing.

Formerly YB-2 09-14-2022 10:53 AM

Congratulations. :thumbsup:
Am sure the MC3500s will be a wonderful match. The Scala Evo III is equal to the best sound I've heard in any set-up over the years. Truly renders music with both delicacy & force.

https://www.focal.com/sites/www.foca...l-et-fonce.jpg