AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Focal Speakers (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=159)
-   -   Kanta 3's arrived... (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=44200)

Ampteks 10-30-2018 08:28 PM

Kanta 3's arrived...

5 Attachment(s)
Unfortunately still waiting for the amps to arrive, so they will just sit and look pretty.

Had a last minute change of heart on the color from taupe/walnut to white/black, I think I made the right choice?

j3brow 10-30-2018 08:48 PM

Oh you made the right choice! They look outstanding in your room. Congrats. By the way what color is the wall? Is that a gray or beige tone?

Formerly YB-2 10-30-2018 08:49 PM

Definitely agree. That black & white is an excellent match to your chairs & other room decor. Anticipation..................

PierreB 10-30-2018 09:14 PM

Lovely place.
Very nice Kanta. Great color.

mtrot 10-30-2018 10:13 PM

Nice! Kanta No3 is so intriguing because for only $2K more than the Kanta No2, you get a significantly larger cabinet and bass drivers. Actually, if you compare the Focal specs on Kanta No3 and Sopra No3, you will see that they are nearly identical.

Ampteks 10-30-2018 10:23 PM

We ended up with 9 shades of gray throughout the house, different area/lighting will change the colors dramatically We went with warmer grays from Benjamin Moore, that particular color is called Plymouth Rock.

Quote:

Originally Posted by j3brow (Post 938021)
Oh you made the right choice! They look outstanding in your room. Congrats. By the way what color is the wall? Is that a gray or beige tone?

JWJW 10-31-2018 05:38 AM

Dang. Lucky you! Enjoy!

SCAudiophile 10-31-2018 05:58 AM

Congratulations,..the speakers and the room look great!

antipop 10-31-2018 06:42 AM

Very nice room !

Is there a way you can put thicker curtain, having windows right behind the speakers is not ideal to say the least.

dvir 11-10-2018 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ampteks (Post 938018)
Unfortunately still waiting for the amps to arrive, so they will just sit and look pretty.

Had a last minute change of heart on the color from taupe/walnut to white/black, I think I made the right choice?

Congrats! Any chance you can provide the measurement of the base of the speakers? I'm not sure what they refer to in the spec on focal site for the measurements. It can help me grately.

Thanks!

FDPDK 11-10-2018 01:52 PM

Congratulations on your new speakers , they look great as do the listening space / room.

raidho 11-10-2018 05:56 PM

very nice speakers. Congrats!

I had Wilson Sasha2, Raidho 3.1, B&W 800d3 and others but Focal with the greats berylium tweeter is always in my head.

sorry for a question: Sopra 2 -3 or Kanta 2 - 3?

I use Pass Xa160.8....

thank you at all

djwhog 11-10-2018 07:18 PM

Yes correct choice indeed! Very nice congrats...

Can we get a review please thanks! :)

mcpaf76 11-10-2018 09:15 PM

Looks great, the rooms awesome.

Ampteks 11-11-2018 02:57 AM

The aluminum base is 15"x20.5"

Quote:

Originally Posted by dvir (Post 939635)
Congrats! Any chance you can provide the measurement of the base of the speakers? I'm not sure what they refer to in the spec on focal site for the measurements. It can help me grately.

Thanks!

Ampteks 11-11-2018 03:05 AM

Thanks all for the kind words on the decor.

I have them temporary wired with belden cable, and they sound a little bright which is typical for this cable. The Shunyata Alpha cables will be here next week and i'm salivating...

raidho 11-11-2018 08:05 AM

Hallo,

anyone can me say if the Sopra 2 / 3 is so better/superior vs the Kanta 2/ 3 ?

thank you again

mcpaf76 11-11-2018 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raidho (Post 939834)
Hallo,

anyone can me say if the Sopra 2 / 3 is so better/superior vs the Kanta 2/ 3 ?

thank you again

Yes, with looks and performance. Proportional to price, as expected.

mcpaf76 11-11-2018 11:08 PM

With all you invested, particularly in the electronics, racks and speaker cables especially, why didn't you just go with Sopra 3s? Would have been a much better yield for your dollar. Could use lamp cord and almost any amp for half the price and get better sound compared to Kantas with literally any speaker cable.

Masterlu 11-12-2018 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcpaf76 (Post 939974)
With all you invested, particularly in the electronics, racks and speaker cables especially, why didn't you just go with Sopra 3s? Would have been a much better yield for your dollar. Could use lamp cord and almost any amp for half the price and get better sound compared to Kantas with literally any speaker cable.

https://bnn.lv/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/24.jpg

2fastdriving 11-12-2018 01:22 AM

Yikes! I don't know about lamp cord on sopras, but I think your room looks fantastic and inviting. Congratulations.

mcpaf76 11-12-2018 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2fastdriving (Post 939998)
Yikes! I don't know about lamp cord on sopras, but I think your room looks fantastic and inviting. Congratulations.

I was kind of exaggerating about the lamp cord my point being better speakers will always sound better then lower models even with cheap speaker cable the proportional gain with better speakers is far more noticeable than speaker cables and tweaks. I agree, that room looks amazing.

Ampteks 11-12-2018 12:47 PM

You live and learn, and its all about the experience along the way. I do have some high hopes from what I am hearing already, I went through the master set speaker placement this weekend and they ended up pretty much where they where before I started.

With no sub and no rear port these move the rear curtains with authority. Cables are hopefully arriving this week and will have time to install them after Thanksgiving, I will let you know the results.

As they say you never know what your missing until you hear it and there is always something better out there so the hunt never ends :scratch2:

Mike

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcpaf76 (Post 939974)

Antonmb 11-12-2018 01:11 PM

Congratulations on a great pair of speakers and a very nice room setup. Everything I’ve read indicates that the 3s are, at not quite 2/3 the price, almost the equal of the Sopras and a real bargain, perhaps only lacking the ability to play as loudly but having a bit more warmth. They should be ideal for your room. With good amplification and cables, you will have a fantastic system.

crwilli 11-12-2018 01:45 PM

Very nice room! Congratulations on your new system. Enjoy it.

Formerly YB-2 11-12-2018 04:20 PM

Great looking system. Bet it sounds as good as it looks. Terrific metal furniture & rack.

https://www.audioaficionado.org/atta...6&d=1540945644

ehmokey 11-13-2018 12:01 AM

Stunning setup. Love the color contrast. I am sure you will enjoy them for a long time.

What amplifiers did you choose to pair with your equipment?

Ampteks 11-13-2018 11:45 PM

Thanks all!!

Pair of MC611's with MCD600 and C1100 on the way :music:

Quote:

Originally Posted by ehmokey (Post 940172)
Stunning setup. Love the color contrast. I am sure you will enjoy them for a long time.

What amplifiers did you choose to pair with your equipment?

jakegt3 11-14-2018 10:45 AM

Ampteks - is that your GT3 in your avatar?

Ampteks 11-14-2018 08:47 PM

Yes 11RS White, 08RS Silver. FLT6SPD on rennlist...

Quote:

Originally Posted by jakegt3 (Post 940394)
Ampteks - is that your GT3 in your avatar?

jakegt3 11-14-2018 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ampteks (Post 940466)
Yes 11RS White, 08RS Silver. FLT6SPD on rennlist...

Nice! I have an '07 GT3 street/track car and also a Cayman S that has been converted to a dedicated track car. I'm Jake951 on Rennlist.

garpt 03-27-2019 03:44 PM

To get this thread going again-
Some discussion about the Kanta 3's vs. the Sopra 3's: I've been a Kanta 3 owner since last (early) October, only a few weeks after they were introduced in the U.S. I had the opportunity to hear both models on Mac gear at my dealer. I could not justify the difference in price, especially since I got the Kanta 3's under 10K. I could have gotten close to the same discount percentage off the Sopra's. There was not enough difference to justify the cost difference. In fact, in one very important category to me, I found the Kanta 3's warmer with no loss in detail. At home I'm using them with Primaluna amp/ preamp (amp with upgrated KT88 power tubes) and one important note- these things take a LONG time to break in, at least 150 hours, maybe 200 hours, and they quite noticably change character in the warmth department. They are amazing speakers from top to bottom and have no distinguishable lack throughout the frequency spectrum. The top end, obviously with their Berillium tweeter is well known. I am a basshead, and subwoofers are not needed, although I may turn them on at low levels at night to add a little "bass boost". These must be auditioned with a really good source and amplification for anyone looking +/- 10K for a pair of speakers. Amazing.

Rick721 05-09-2020 10:11 AM

I liked these Kanta 3's speakers more than the raved Yamaha ns 5000's. I heard them with the new Mark Levinson No 585.5 Integrated amp..match made in Audio Heaven!:music:

JWJW 06-11-2020 06:04 PM

I dream of Kanta 3’s....:yes::D

orosie 06-17-2020 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garpt (Post 958797)
To get this thread going again-
Some discussion about the Kanta 3's vs. the Sopra 3's: I've been a Kanta 3 owner since last (early) October, only a few weeks after they were introduced in the U.S. I had the opportunity to hear both models on Mac gear at my dealer. I could not justify the difference in price, especially since I got the Kanta 3's under 10K. I could have gotten close to the same discount percentage off the Sopra's. There was not enough difference to justify the cost difference. In fact, in one very important category to me, I found the Kanta 3's warmer with no loss in detail. At home I'm using them with Primaluna amp/ preamp (amp with upgrated KT88 power tubes) and one important note- these things take a LONG time to break in, at least 150 hours, maybe 200 hours, and they quite noticably change character in the warmth department. They are amazing speakers from top to bottom and have no distinguishable lack throughout the frequency spectrum. The top end, obviously with their Berillium tweeter is well known. I am a basshead, and subwoofers are not needed, although I may turn them on at low levels at night to add a little "bass boost". These must be auditioned with a really good source and amplification for anyone looking +/- 10K for a pair of speakers. Amazing.

Interesting. The biggest improvement going from the Kanta to the Sopra is bass performance. I am surprised you prefer the Kanta in that respect, but the cost factor was obviously a factor in your decision. And warmer and more detailed than the Sopra? Hmmmm...

Jamitloud 07-12-2020 05:33 PM

@ garpt.
Hi, I am somewhat new to audioaficionado. I’ve read all the threads on amps in the McIntosh forum. I also bought the Focal Kanta 2’s and had them for a year and traded them in for Kanta 3’s last october. I also had demoed in my home with the Kanta 3’s the PrimaLuna Evo 400 preamp. However, I’m still amazed at the sound I hear every day when I listen to music. I use a turntable and also a bluesound node 2i. I’m Glad to hear that you are enjoying them.

Hubbman 05-30-2021 09:05 PM

Room size?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamitloud (Post 1009021)
@ garpt.
Hi, I am somewhat new to audioaficionado. I’ve read all the threads on amps in the McIntosh forum. I also bought the Focal Kanta 2’s and had them for a year and traded them in for Kanta 3’s last october. I also had demoed in my home with the Kanta 3’s the PrimaLuna Evo 400 preamp. However, I’m still amazed at the sound I hear every day when I listen to music. I use a turntable and also a bluesound node 2i. I’m Glad to hear that you are enjoying them.

How many soft is your room?

christianb5s4 07-28-2022 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orosie (Post 1007308)
Interesting. The biggest improvement going from the Kanta to the Sopra is bass performance. I am surprised you prefer the Kanta in that respect, but the cost factor was obviously a factor in your decision. And warmer and more detailed than the Sopra? Hmmmm...

A little late to this thread. I auditioned both, and while there was significantly more bass with the Sopra 3s (to be expected), I didn't feel the bass was 'better'. I felt that the bass detail was better with the Kanta 3 and also felt the bass was more agile given the different woofers used.

Auditioned at a dealer with a well treated room with good speaker placement and the setup being the same minus swapping speakers. That said, on jazz/blues/classical/acoustical music, I preferred the Sopras which were better as a lot of songs in those genres tend to be lighter in bass.