AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Martin Logan (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   Panel size of Acoustats compared to Martin Logan (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=8334)

miatadan 05-12-2011 02:43 PM

Panel size of Acoustats compared to Martin Logan

I decided that in the long run, I be more happy with the Theos Martin Logans as panel area is larger than buying the new ElectroMotion ESL I feel that the McIntosh MC302 power amplifier ( 300 watts rms per side ) should be able to drive Theos effortless.

Anyone here on this forum know what the panel size used in Acoustats 2+2, Spectra 22 or Spectra 2200 speakers. I assume these speakers have larger panel area than most of the current Martin Logan speakers except of course the CLX.

Dan

Tonepub 05-12-2011 11:35 PM

The 2+2's have a larger panel area, but it's a different animal. Having owned almost every model of Acoustats (and loved em back in the day), the ML is a big step up in clarity, and the Acoustats have a much narrower sweetspot to boot.

And remember, the Acoustats have been out of production for years.....

Great speakers though.

AndyPandy 05-13-2011 06:11 AM

:icon_greenbouncer:or you could just buy 2905's and live happily ever after:pg2:

actually ignore my Quad proclivity: I just wanted to post the emoticons!

Tonepub 05-13-2011 10:59 AM

The Quads are a completely different animal than the ML's. Magic midrange but precious little dynamics. If you only listen to female vocals in a small room, they are heaven.

AndyPandy 05-13-2011 06:03 PM

Oh agree with that.. I've heard the ML CLX Signatures and loved them: very very good speaker. If I could afford that speaker (and the amps to drive them) they would be my personal choice.

I like Quad with all Classical and vocal music and, as you say in a small, and in my submission a moderate sized room, they are dynamic enough for all but really large works - but then I'm easily satisfied....but each to their own.

As I said mate - it was really about the emoticons:roots::roots::roots::drums::drums::drums ::drums::drums::drums::drums::drums:

Tonepub 05-14-2011 05:32 PM

For that matter, check out a pair of refurbished Quad 57's...

That Luxman amplifier works perfect with them.

AndyPandy 05-15-2011 03:27 AM

So I hear!

I just sold my last pair of restored 57's (I've had 3) while I save for the 2905's. Alot of the reason for selling the 57's was finding a good amp match: they are such a bitch to drive: get the wrong amp they are ...wanting...get the right one they are heaven.

Incidentally probably the best sound I had was 57's twin Magellan TBI's. The Harbeth 5's are great..but nothing has the Quad mid range - at least in my experience.

Incidentally there is a s38u for sale locally - worth picking up? Not sure it would add anything to my 550A II?

miatadan 05-16-2011 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tonepub (Post 164953)
The 2+2's have a larger panel area, but it's a different animal. Having owned almost every model of Acoustats (and loved em back in the day), the ML is a big step up in clarity, and the Acoustats have a much narrower sweetspot to boot.

And remember, the Acoustats have been out of production for years.....

Great speakers though.

The pair I owned in 1989 was the Acoustat Spectra 22 in black. Sold them because company went out of business. I have had Martin Logan SL3 and the Aeon. Only Magnepan I owned was the MG1.6

beek 09-05-2011 06:35 AM

Hello Dan its beek from ML users, I just signed on to this group..

Sent from my iPhone using A.Aficionado

beek 09-06-2011 05:32 PM

I had the 1+1 and the 2+2's back in the day and I think the drivers were 11in. wide & in the 2+2 they were canted a bit.:yes: