AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   McIntosh Audio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Apple iPad Pro 11” M2 cpu with McIntosh (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=51865)

miatadan 12-30-2022 01:51 AM

Apple iPad Pro 11” M2 cpu with McIntosh

Hard to believe that the 2022 iPad Pro 11” with M2 cpu out performs my old 2020 MacBook Pro 13” with Intel i5 cpu + 16 gb ram.

using this 2021 iPad Pro 11” with M2 cpu to send Tidal, Roon Audio, Apple Music to McIntosh D1100 Dac/Preamp using AudioQuest USB-C to USB on McIntosh D1100.

Who would have thought a iPad could work so well as an audio source.

Dan

Brettf27 12-30-2022 11:03 AM

I am not surprised. Apple’s M1 and M2 chips are revolutionary. They have the RAM on the same die as the CPU. The only downside is that you cannot add additional RAM.

McMan 12-31-2022 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miatadan (Post 1070165)
Hard to believe that the 2022 iPad Pro 11” with M2 cpu out performs my old 2020 MacBook Pro 13” with Intel i5 cpu + 16 gb ram.

using this 2021 iPad Pro 11” with M2 cpu to send Tidal, Roon Audio, Apple Music to McIntosh D1100 Dac/Preamp using AudioQuest USB-C to USB on McIntosh D1100.

Who would have thought a iPad could work so well as an audio source.

Dan

Thank you for sharing your experience with this simple solution. I totally overlooked it and might have to go this route if I can not get this Ethernet cable up the wall.

John Jordan 12-31-2022 11:08 AM

Those new M Macs certainly are "revolutionary " as Brett stated.

Great Post Dan! An iPad as an endpoint for streaming; quick simple solution using the streaming service's app.. Are you able to charge while listening or does that need to be done separately afterwards?

john

robfine 12-31-2022 11:55 AM

I use the most recent version of iPad Mini as a controller for several aspects of my sound and video systems including for Qobuz and Roon. I have a couple of years old 10.5” iPad Pro that I use for streaming. I use a iPad powered camera out device. It has a USB A and Lightning females and one Lightning male. The Lightning female is for power only and the USB female is for signal, either photos (stated purpose) or music (wired streaming). You can even get a good streamer app- MusicStreamer. So you cam stream out wired (with the USB), wifi, or Bluetooth.

I can do all the same with the iPad Mini…. Except that Apple does not yet make a (powered) iPad Camera Out for USB-C, which is what my new Mini and the newest iPads use. From the Mini I can use Bluetooth to stream to my Mark Levinson wireless travel headphones, and it sounds very good.

I have not yet been able to find a good Lightning female —> USB-C male adaptor. I have seen some that say for power only, not music; and for music only, not power. If any of you have found a good Lightning female to USB-C male adaptor, please let me and the forum know. You will open up a lot of opportunity for what recent vintage iPad users can do.

The newest iPad mini and iPad pros are really something. Unfortunately, Apple has not caught up with its own technology with its accessories yet. That said, they are still incredible devices.