AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Ayre (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   KX-R Twenty balance problem (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=44608)

Gbob 12-26-2018 07:22 PM

I am not a big poster on AA, but am an owner of an Ayre MXR (non twenty and hopefully a KXR soon, but none seem to be on the used market).
Seeing Mr. Berry's post made me very confidant that Ayre stands by their products. If I win the lottery, my amps will get the upgrade.

@RLF,
Seeing how you tested other inputs, do you think the cabling to the speakers could be a possible source of the problem, now that the dealer hasn't replicated the issue.
Bob

Masterlu 12-26-2018 09:17 PM

Gbob... Welcome to AA! :wave:

RLF 12-26-2018 09:29 PM

@Gbob. The best of luck in finding an Ayre KX-R to go with your MX-Rs. The KX-R Twenty is the best sounding preamp which I’ve ever owned; especially in conjunction with the MX-R.

Yes, I also believe that Ayre stands behind their products and will continue to do so even with the loss of Charles Hansen. If Ryan Berry and Ayre employees continue to carry on the Ayre tradition like Charlie did, which I imagine that they will do, that Ayre will continue to be a great company and highly respected.

Over the years I’ve exchanged a few e-mail chats with Charlie. It was most apparent from my discussions with him as well as what Ive read about him that his ethic and that of Ayre “is to treat the customer the way that we would want to be treated if the situation were reversed” will continue.

Bob

oddeophile 12-26-2018 10:25 PM

The Golden Rule. If all companies and people operated like this just think how wonderful things would be! Thank you Charlie. So sad he passed.
Keep going on the same rule, Ayre!

RLF 12-27-2018 06:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oddeophile (Post 946382)
The Golden Rule. If all companies and people operated like this just think how wonderful things would be! Thank you Charlie. So sad he passed.
Keep going on the same rule, Ayre!

Needless to say, we all miss Charlie very much. Those of us who have been loyal customers to Ayre, hope that the company will continue to stay on the same course without him. My guess is that it will with Ryan on board taking Charlie’s place.

I will give updates as to the progress of my new KX-R Twenty balance problem and hope that it will be resolved soon. I believe that Ayre has now received it from my dealer and will be getting on it as top priority as per Ryan’s promise earlier in this thread.

Gbob 12-28-2018 07:33 PM

Thank you for the kind replies.

I have only been in touch with Micheal Widemier (sp?). He has been very helpful to me regarding Ayre products. In addition John Rutan at Audioconnection. Both men have shown me how devoted Ayre is to their clientele. I wish I had known about Ayre when Charlie was alive.
As I said, I feel that the OP will ultimately have his problems resolved to his satisfaction.
Bob

RLF 12-29-2018 11:04 PM

Follow up

I received an e-mail from Ryan yesterday stating that after they received my preamp they discovered the problem. Ryan gave me a detailed rundown, but in a nutshell, one of the two screws that mounts the input motor for the bad channel had completely come out, so it was a mechanical issue rather than electrical and has been repaired. That being said, they are running it over the weekend and doing testing to make sure that everything is ok electrically before sending it back to me. Great and punctual customer service from Ryan and Ayre.

will 12-30-2018 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RLF (Post 946779)
I received an e-mail from Ryan yesterday stating that after they received my preamp they discovered the problem. Ryan gave me a detailed rundown, but in a nutshell, one of the two screws that mounts the input motor for the bad channel had completely come out, so it was a mechanical issue rather than electrical and has been repaired. That being said, they are running it over the weekend and doing testing to make sure that everything is ok electrically before sending it back to me. Great and punctual customer service from Ryan and Ayre.

Good to hear! Hope you get it back soon.

RLF 12-30-2018 11:21 PM

@will

Thanks and I’m anxious to get it back, but I’m also happy that it will be run though thorough testing again while it’s back at Ayre. As Ryan explained to me, “While we have it, we also reinspect each board as we would have when the product was new, set the unit up again (DC offset, etc.), put the unit through all the tests we normally do, and usually give it a few extra rounds of testing just to ensure we caught any problem.”

RLF 01-10-2019 01:57 PM

Final update

I received my KX-R Twenty back yesterday after it was repaired and thoroughly checked out by Ayre. The balance is now spot on now and it sounds amazing. Ryan gave me updates on it’s status while it was at Ayre. I am most impressed with the personalized & exceptional service that Ayre provided.

As a side note, the KX-R Twenty is by far the best sounding preamp that I’ve ever had in my system and naturally it is very synergistic with my MX-R Twenty.