AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   What are you Grilling? (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   Grilled Seafood (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=43723)

Doug Lax 09-05-2018 11:52 AM

Grilled Seafood

1 Attachment(s)
Ive always loved the flavor of charring on seafood. When I was a kid I went to Rio and they served lobster with grilled over charcoal with lime butter.

I regularly grill shrimp and for a treat lobster. What seafood do you grill?

I also have a fish basket for salmon , cod and even scallops.:thumbsup:

matt_zak 09-05-2018 12:31 PM

We grill everything. Our family loves seafood. The kids favorites are shrimp/prawns and the wife and I really love red snapper. Like you, we do lobster for a treat a couple times a year.

GaryProtein 09-05-2018 06:39 PM

I have grilled all kinds of seafood but never a lobster--I have always steamed them.

Do you steam the lobsters first, split them and then grill them or do you split them live and grill them for the full cooking time, and how long is that?

djwhog 09-05-2018 06:55 PM

very nice Doug, love grilled seafood! Have done lobster too :)

matt_zak 09-05-2018 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GaryProtein (Post 930159)
I have grilled all kinds of seafood but never a lobster--I have always steamed them.

Do you steam the lobsters first, split them and then grill them or do you split them live and grill them for the full cooking time, and how long is that?

I live in the middle of the desert so we don't get live lobster. They are sent from the Red Sea so they're about 24-48hrs old. I just cut them in half, season and throw on the grill. Just like the picture in Doug's first post. You should try it over charcoal or wood. Cooking time varies by size, but just think of it as a big shrimp. Try it, you'll love it.

GaryProtein 09-06-2018 12:30 AM

Thank you!

For The Love of Music 09-06-2018 12:31 AM

Seafood is great, choice wisely and responsibly!

Most people do not know how to cook seafood and end up with a bad experience.

Grilling outside is a great way but be careful you don’t overcook.

Remove Lobster meat from the shell then reinsert and remember to splice the membrane and be careful not to overcook.

Another favorite is soaking cedar planks and cooking Wild Alaskan Salmon over the open flame as the cedar burns, it smokes giving that nice flavor!

matt_zak 09-06-2018 02:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by For The Love of Music (Post 930219)
Seafood is great, choice wisely and responsibly!

Most people do not know how to cook seafood and end up with a bad experience.

Grilling outside is a great way but be careful you don’t overcook.

Remove Lobster meat from the shell then reinsert and remember to splice the membrane and be careful not to overcook.

Another favorite is soaking cedar planks and cooking Wild Alaskan Salmon over the open flame as the cedar burns, it smokes giving that nice flavor!

+1 for the cedar. Alder is also great. I learned about that while living in Washington state.

murphyb74 09-06-2018 08:38 AM

We grilled swordfish kabobs over Labor Day weekend - turned out great!

Doug Lax 09-06-2018 09:55 AM

What I have done is split the shells in half grill the shell side up I then finish them shell side down. The time depends on the size but it doesnt take too long. Several years ago I watched an old Bobby Flay grillin n Chillin . He stated that shell side up was needed to keep the meat moist. then you flip it breifly for the charring