AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Tuners (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   Best Sirius/XM sound quality (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=52207)

cleeds 04-28-2023 09:55 AM

Best Sirius/XM sound quality

[IMG]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...dac2aa32_z.jpg

While it's impossible to get truly high end sound from Sirius/XM, it is possible to do better than the swishy, swirly, lossy-compressed audio that is so commonly heard from satellite receivers. (To be fair to XM, some of the blame for that bad sound falls to the receivers themselves. Some suck more than others.)

I realize that some just don't care about XM, but if you still enjoy an occasional dose of Earle Bailey or Pat St. John the way I do, you might want to try this method.

I use the XM app on an iPad connected to the Lightning Digital AV Adapter. That gives an HDMI output that connects to my Bryston DAC-3. Of course, the audio isn't really 48K quality, that's just the digital "container" for the XM stream. But it is much, much higher quality than anything I've ever heard that relied on the satellites.

One speed bump that XM designed into the app is that it defaults to a lower sound quality. You'll need to go into the iPad settings to change it to "maximum" SQ. The app may sometimes reset that to a lower quality, but you'll notice that immediately.

The result is very listenable and actually sounds better than many over-processed commercial FM stations.

I realize that this method requires streaming, so it doesn't really belong in the "Tuners" section of AA. But I figured those who would be most interested would find it here.

Masterlu 04-28-2023 09:59 AM

Great info, thanks.

cleeds 04-29-2023 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 1073948)
Great info, thanks.

You are welcome! Frankly, I was surprised how good the SQ can be. It's perfectly fine for background music and then some. Of course, it won't withstand critical listening.

r042wal 04-30-2023 03:53 PM

I have been an XM subscriber since 2005 and you are correct about Earle Bailey, I have discovered so many new and unheard artists on the Deep Tracks channel. I'm a collector - I hear it on XM and the chase is on.

My wife and I have it in our cars, but we also have the XM app on our Amazon Fire TV Cube which integrates into my McIntosh system. I think the Fire TV cube goes to my TV by HDMI and then the optical out on my TV goes to my C48.

cleeds 05-01-2023 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by r042wal (Post 1073998)
I ... you are correct about Earle Bailey, I have discovered so many new and unheard artists on the Deep Tracks channel. I'm a collector - I hear it on XM and the chase is on ...

Earle's great. He broadcasts from the Cape, so it's possible Ivan has passed him in the supermarket and not even known.

Dennis Elsas, too. And Carol Miller.

Maks 09-12-2023 01:59 AM

I mostly listen to XM on my MR88, but I would agree the streaming signal through a DAC is about as good as it can get.

Last time I called to "cancel" my sub the person just put me on a cheap monthly plan vs paying up front and my Amex covers the full cost each month so I can't beat that!

Formerly YB-2 09-12-2023 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maks (Post 1076808)
Last time I called to "cancel" my sub the person just put me on a cheap monthly plan vs paying up front and my Amex covers the full cost each month so I can't beat that!

I always let my Sirius plan lapse as they will then renew at a reasonable monthly cost. As I drive about 25K mi/yr, it is worth it to me. Do wish 'Classic Vinyl' were not so repetitive. On a 2+ day drive I switch to 'Deep Tracks' and Jazz & Blue Grass and........ At least there are options.
What level Amex card is needed for the 'free' subscription? I dropped Amex when I retired due to their annual fee. Might have to get another.

cleeds 09-13-2023 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maks (Post 1076808)
I mostly listen to XM on my MR88 ...

I've always wanted to hear XM on an MR88! Unfortunately, the few Mac dealers I've visited haven't been able to demo it. I think tuners may be becoming a niche item, even within our little hi-fi world, which is already a niche.

Formerly YB-2 09-13-2023 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cleeds (Post 1076856)
I've always wanted to hear XM on an MR88! Unfortunately, the few Mac dealers I've visited haven't been able to demo it. I think tuners may be becoming a niche item, even within our little hi-fi world, which is already a niche.

Think you are correct. With all the problems with HD radio and now with streaming, sadly, I don't see much effort being made in the future for OTA FM. Done well, it is an excellent medium.

cleeds 09-14-2023 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 (Post 1076860)
... I don't see much effort being made in the future for OTA FM. Done well, it is an excellent medium.

I agree the future for FM is rather dim, but if you live in the right place, there are still a few bright spots on the dial. Part of the problem (at least in the US) is commercial radio's business model, which for many operators is built on debt.