AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Lamm (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Lamm 1.2 Reference Monoblocks (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=8058)

darkstar 04-19-2011 05:43 PM

Lamm 1.2 Reference Monoblocks

As some of you may know, I have spent the last 12-18 months on a quest to begin the upgrade process and take my rig into the 21st century. To say my rig needs updating, is really an understatement. And while my system has provided countless hours of enjoyment, and owes me not a dime, I cannot say without any more fervor, it is time and has been a long time coming. And I don't think I will get my arguments from you fellow AA's regarding my current system of:

Hafler DH 500 amp
McIntosh C-29 pre
Thiel 3.6 speakers
Pioneer Elite DV-45A CD/DVD player
Audioquest cables

So my journey has crossed 18 states (I do alot of business travel) and along the way I have listened to many top brands, MBL, Boulder, Naim, Mark Levinson, VTL, Krell, McIntosh, Lamm, Audio Research, Spectral, Wilson, Nola, Sonus Faber, Dan D'Agostino, Magico just to name a few. And if I have learned 1 thing from this experience and especially this board, is that system synergy is key.

So here's good news: I have decided to buiild the system around Wilson Sasha's, driven by Lamm 1.2 Reference Monoblocks with an Audio Research Ref 5.

The bad news is that I can't buy everything at once. But I have made the first big step and found an excellet deal on a used pair of the Lamm 1.2s.

Amps should be here Thursday!

Can't friggin wait!

Rich

Haurock 04-19-2011 05:47 PM

Buying used equipment is an excellent way to get into very good equipment if you know what you're looking for and know how to recognize a good deal... sounds like you have an excellent plan and an excellent beginning.... looking forward to hearing how your search prospers in the weeks/months to come.
:thumbsup:

Masterlu 04-19-2011 05:56 PM

Keep us posted Rich.... and of course we all need to see pics. ;)

Congrat's!

cmalak 04-19-2011 05:57 PM

Rich...I believe that combo is as good as it gets. Congrats on the Lammies and hope you are able to put the other pieces together in short order.

chessman 04-19-2011 06:32 PM

Too cool!!

darkstar 04-19-2011 06:46 PM

Thanks all for the well wishes.:thumbsup:

jdandy 04-19-2011 07:55 PM

Rich.......Your plan is a good one, and your choices are excellent. Be prepared for those Lamm 1.2's to blow that Hafler out of the water like the US Navy after a Nigerian pirate boat. Looking forward to your comments as the system comes together. Good hunting. :thumbsup:

http://media.komonews.com/images/110...ate_attack.jpg

two dot 04-19-2011 09:37 PM

Sounds like a serious upgrade path with VERY SERIOUS components....

Everything that I have ever heard of the LAMM makes them sound wonderful.

The ARC is top shelf as well.

The Wilson's will be great with this gear.

Congrats...

PHC1 04-19-2011 09:42 PM

Sashas and Lamm M1.2's. That is a winning combination in my book. Been there myself, still can't get that combo out of my head, it was spectacular. :thumbsup:

jdandy 04-19-2011 11:28 PM

Rich.......Thinking about the preamp, I believe you are on to some serious synergy with the Audio Research Ref 5 and the Lamm 1.2's. I can't wait to hear how this arrangement sounds.

http://yeswehaveawebsite.com/Home_Au...mplifier_M.jpg . . . http://www.positive-feedback.com/Iss...s_dwr_room.jpg

jpgr4blu 04-20-2011 12:04 AM

Good luck Rich. The combo you have chosen is a fit championed by Marc Mickelson and Paul Bolin at Audiobeat as well as Peter McGrath and others at Wilson.

f1 fan 04-20-2011 08:53 AM

Rich...a musical and winning combo for sure. Looking forward to your impressions.

Dave

SRT-10 Viper 04-20-2011 08:55 AM

Rich, I have Sasha's with Lamm 1.2s and a ARC REF5, soon to be a REF 40 Anniversary.
You will love the combo!

Chuck

darkstar 04-20-2011 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SRT-10 Viper (Post 159720)
Rich, I have Sasha's with Lamm 1.2s and a ARC REF5, soon to be a REF 40 Anniversary.
You will love the combo!

Chuck

Thanks I am really excited to get this underway.

While I am thrilled with my choice, it actually was my second one. If my wallet could afford it, I would have gone with the REF 40 and Max3.

What's nice is I have a future upgrade path (after I am completely done paying for my kids college).:yes:

darkstar 04-20-2011 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmalak (Post 159530)
Rich...I believe that combo is as good as it gets. Congrats on the Lammies and hope you are able to put the other pieces together in short order.

Cyril,

I have to tell you. I was really considering the REF 210 instead of the Lamm's. Both were excellent and I could have gone either way. But in the end, I felt I really didn't want to deal with that many tubes (mtc and cost) given my listening habits.

Its funny how thiings work out. When I first heard Audio Research (REF 210 and REF 5) driving Magico V3, I was really underwelmed. The pace of the music was way too slow. I felt like my body was 2 steps ahead of the music.
When I heard them driving Wilsons, it was totally different. This too is an outstanding combination. Its all about synergy

Rich

darkstar 04-20-2011 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SRT-10 Viper (Post 159720)
You will love the combo!

Chuck

Chuck,

What tubes and power cords are you using inthe Lamm's?

SRT-10 Viper 04-20-2011 10:38 AM

Lamm's

Quote:

Originally Posted by darkstar (Post 159727)
Chuck,

What tubes and power cords are you using inthe Lamm's?

I am using NOS Telefunkins... I tried several and liked these the best. I haven't replaced the stock cords on the Lamms. I have on the REF5 (and will move it to REF40) Shunyata Anaconda.

cmalak 04-20-2011 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darkstar (Post 159726)
Cyril,

I have to tell you. I was really considering the REF 210 instead of the Lamm's. Both were excellent and I could have gone either way. But in the end, I felt I really didn't want to deal with that many tubes (mtc and cost) given my listening habits.

Its funny how thiings work out. When I first heard Audio Research (REF 210 and REF 5) driving Magico V3, I was really underwelmed. The pace of the music was way too slow. I felt like my body was 2 steps ahead of the music.
When I heard them driving Wilsons, it was totally different. This too is an outstanding combination. Its all about synergy

Rich

Rich...I think Ref 5/Lamm 1.2/Sasha will be a great combo. I believe the Lammies will give you a denser/fuller presentation than the Ref 210s might with the Sashas especially with that dip to 1.8ohms in the bass region. And as you said, the Lamm 1.2s are easier on the wallet maintenance wise and with only one input small signal tube should be much easier from an ongoing maintenance perspective. We look forward to tracking your system's evolution as you gradually put the pieces together. Good luck and congrats.

two dot 04-20-2011 04:02 PM

Rich,

For those of us playing along at home.... remind us what you are moving from.

Thanks,

Stephen

cmalak 04-20-2011 04:18 PM

Stephen...his current setup is described in the first post of the thread.

Jerome W 04-20-2011 04:38 PM

Rich,

Congrats on a wonderful set of monoblocks !
I never heard them but from what I read on AA and elsewhere, they are terrific. And i like the mixed design of tubes and SS.
I wish you to make your dream come true with the Sashas and the Ref5, very shortly !

darkstar 04-20-2011 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by two dot (Post 159798)
Rich,

For those of us playing along at home.... remind us what you are moving from.

Thanks,

Stephen

Here you go Stephen -

Hafler DH 500 amp
McIntosh C-29 pre
Thiel 3.6 speakers
Audioquest cables

Oh, I forgot my Carver TX-11 Tuner

darkstar 04-20-2011 05:33 PM

Thanks again all for the well wishes. Much appreciated.

Rich

Alberto 04-20-2011 06:28 PM

Delicious choice!

Eager to read your impressions.

Alberto

two dot 04-20-2011 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darkstar (Post 159818)
Here you go Stephen -

Hafler DH 500 amp
McIntosh C-29 pre
Thiel 3.6 speakers
Audioquest cables

Oh, I forgot my Carver TX-11 Tuner

WOW!!!

You are making a very substantial upgrade.

Jerry and the boys are going to sound amazing on the new gear!!!

Enjoy the music

darkstar 04-21-2011 08:57 AM

Thanks it has been a long time coming. The last time I purchased amps and a pre was after I graduated college, 25 years ago!

jdandy 04-21-2011 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darkstar (Post 159961)
Thanks it has been a long time coming. The last time I purchased amps and a pre was after I graduated college, 25 years ago!

Rich.......You are way overdue. :yes:

darkstar 04-21-2011 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdandy (Post 159978)
Rich.......You are way overdue. :yes:

Well said Dan. And I have been called worse!

darkstar 04-21-2011 04:30 PM

The amps arrived this morning. Thankfully in perfect shape.

It was a royal pain to get them out of their crate, but I finally did. While modest in terms of size and weight as far as amps go (70lbs), it was still a heck of work out.

This is my first experience buying on Audiogon and the seller was a stand up guy. When he said the amps were perfect, he really meant it. They are absolutely in pristine condition.

I hooked her up and turned on the power switch. Its takes about a minute as the amps go through their stabilization phase, with the Red LED light flashing. I felt a little anxiety kick in when the lights were flashing, but then I got the solid RED LED. Nice!

Popped in Steely Dan Gaucho and sat down for Hey Nineteen (hey I am supposed to be working). There is such an ease and flow about these amps that are hard to describe. Very natural with the right amount of richness and texture. The sound is totally "unforced". If your looking for that instant wow, you won't find it with the Lamm's. Its more on the lines of a tease that draws you in and makes you want to listen more and more. Shit, time to go to work.

Can't wait to listen tonight. I know, you guys want pictures. I may need a little help to load them.

More to come.......

Rich

chessman 04-21-2011 06:56 PM

Awesome!

jwhite613 04-21-2011 07:04 PM

Congrats on your new amps - May they bring you many years of enjoyment!!!

f1 fan 04-21-2011 09:34 PM

Rich...congrats, those are sweet amps. Looking forward to the pix.

Dave

thesaint519 09-05-2011 11:49 PM

As the rookie to this forum, I greet you all. I'm hoping to take delivery on a set of Lamm M1.2s within the next two weeks. I can hardly contain my excitement, but I'm so ready to add them to my 2 channel system. My system is composed of:

DCS Delius
DCS Purcell
ReQuest Media Server (housing 300 movies & 500 CDs in WAV format)
Analysis Plus Silver Ovals (ICs & Spkr Cables)
PBN Denali Mono Amps (Fully Differential Monos - 900W into 4 ohms)
Wilson Watt/Puppy 8s in Mercedes Silver

Kevinkwan 09-06-2011 11:41 AM

Congratulations thesaint519! The Lamms are truly one of the world's great amps. Their power, too, will surprise you. Just be aware that if you're buying a new pair, they take a looooong time to break in and, at first, will sound somewhat thin and mechanical. There are a lot of semiconductors in there after all. However, after months of listening, the amplifier will round into form and become the fully fleshed out, gorgeous sounding amplifier of your dreams.:yes:

darkstar 09-06-2011 01:07 PM

Congrats.

They really are terrific amps. What I love most about them is they have the abiliity to delivery slam like a SS amp but with the magic midrange of tubes.

You will not be dissapointed.

Rich

chessman 09-06-2011 06:34 PM

thesaint519, welcome aboard and congrats! :wave:

soundslikemusic 09-06-2011 07:13 PM

Congrats Rich-- you wont go wrong with the Lamms. I have a M2.2 for 3 years now & I still have no thoughts of selling them or replacing them.. Great stuffy & it will grow on you: organic, full sound, rich textures, the harmonics, and great midrange & fantastic bass... cant wait to hear your impressions on them.

PHC1 09-06-2011 07:15 PM

Mmmmm, Lammm... very tasty. :drool:

thesaint519 09-06-2011 10:11 PM

Thanks for all the kind words & encouragement. Question: I'll be running direct from the DCS PRE/PRO to the Lamm M1.2s. Any feedback - good or bad about running direct?

soundslikemusic 09-07-2011 12:38 AM

Eventually would be nice to add a lamm pre amp into the mix.