AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Aurender (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=179)
-   -   Decision: Aurender N100h vs N10 or Mac Mini... (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=40233)

Timobi 08-13-2017 01:16 AM

Decision: Aurender N100h vs N10 or Mac Mini...

Hey Guys I did a search and didn't really see an actual thread so here goes. So a brief history. My equipment is nice; while not as elaborate as many on here; its by far the best I've ever owned. I kind of came from a more Home theater background. (Seeing others gear list and knowledge of the high end has been humbling) Its kind of made me doubt my own setup. But I know its wonderful. And not going anywhere. Most of what I have was purchased within the past year and a 1/2.

Love my vinyl but no doubt there's great stuff in the digital world. Really only now with my components have I truly enjoyed the digital sound. And its just super easy to play and select.

Owned a Sony Z1-ES HDD. Enjoyed it. I purchased an all in one box per se to avoid having a computer in my setup. Reviews were great. BUT, after getting my C2600 earlier this year and 'just' using my MacBook Pro with Audirvana , the audio is cleaner; richer, and just more detailed.

So now I want more. :)

I want a first rate setup. Just from reading various forums to get an Audio Tweaked Mac Mini there's several tweaks and its not cheap.

The N100h is probably my most cost comfort level. But then again nothing I have was just easy to spend :) I saved up and paid cash. :) I also know ME and know I will be forever wondering how the N10 was...

The N10 with the advantages of the coaxial connections etc..But expensive.

If I went the N10 route; its something I would have to wait a few months on and then purchase. I did that with the Martin Logan ESL 13a's.

I need to upgrade several things in my audio chain. Thank you Audio Aficionado! :smoking: Power cords/USB/ Coaxial...Diffusers.

the DAC in the c2600 is great to my ears. I realize there's other choices but that is something I am going to have for awhile. Considered selling it and going the D1100 route but I just can't spend the other $$ for the C1100 setup for analog.

I would appreciate some real honest feedback on the advantages of the N10 vs the N100h. And these over a Mac Mini.

There is a local dealer down in Baton Rouge, LA. Only 3.5 hours away. :music: He carries Aurender and Aries. I will plan a trip down to demo.

Thanks for letting me ramble too long. I drank a Limu Blu Frog about an hour ago. :drool:

1KW 08-13-2017 07:02 AM

I had a Mac mini as a music server and went to a N100H and it sounds fantastic. Aurender makes great sounding music server's. I only felt the need for a USB output as I like to listen to DSD 128 files and Hi resolution PCM files up to 356 MHz. which you can not do with the other outputs. Dan has a nice right up on the N10 and explains the features and preferences of why he likes his (do a search here). Now having said that the N10 is more like 3 times the cost of the N100H . The N100H and N10 both have the same USB output sections. The USB output on the N100H sounds fantastic with the D1100. I am not sure how the C2600 USB input sounds. I am using a C2300 as my pre amp and the D1100 as a DAC with fixed output. The N10 has more outputs, larger buffer but the question you need to ask yourself is if you need/want the additional outputs. As for the buffer, the N100H buffer has never limited my listening to music i.e. it is larger enough to hold the music I listen to. For the price I do not think you can top the N100H. Forget about using a Mac mini as a music server. I used the Mac mini for several years and I though it sounded fine but I like the integration of Tidal with my music library and HD music using the app. for the Aurender.

PMCH 08-13-2017 10:56 AM

I recently went with my wife to a dealer to listen and purchase the N100h. The N100h sounded very good but after listening to it for a little while my wife asked if we could compare it to the N10. We then compared the N10 to the N100h in the exact same system via USB for both. As my wife quickly stated to me - there was no comparison. The N10 sounded clearly superior to both of us. Immediately we decided to purchase the N10 even though the cost was significantly more expensive. We did listen to both on an excellent system so that may be we we heard more of a difference. Now just waiting for the N10 to arrive.

Timobi 08-13-2017 11:18 AM

Thanks for the input guys.

So Doug, the c2600 won't benefit from the N10? I was under the impression it uses the same DAC as the D1100 but there are separate power supplies in the D1100 and some other tweaks.

All of us get that 'upgrade' bug so who knows.

Does appear that for you guys who've heard both the N100 and the N10 the N10 is superior. I just need to see how large the gap is. ;)

Kind of bummed out with Magnolia in Dallas. BUT they do have all my gear setup and I could go listen but they don't carry Aurender. So not truly sure how to compare DACS etc...

I could take my c2600 down to Baton Rouge.:smoking:Audio Philosophy is there. Pretty high end boutique that has the N10/N100h.

Thx for the heads up on Dan's review. I just found it and going to read.

Timobi 08-13-2017 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blueoak (Post 861423)
You do not need the N10 if you are gonna keep the C2600. The N100 will do just fine and then some.

I actually have an N100 in my office with my C2600.

If you just want to ;) feel free to take the N10 down to the office and compare :tresbon: :)

I tease. You have a great system. One of the many negatives with living in small town that is really not close to any nice gear.

PMCH 08-13-2017 11:43 AM

If you are able to directly compare the N100 vs the N10 that would be worth it so you will know for sure with your own ears.

1KW 08-13-2017 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PMCH (Post 861476)
I recently went with my wife to a dealer to listen and purchase the N100h. The N100h sounded very good but after listening to it for a little while my wife asked if we could compare it to the N10. We then compared the N10 to the N100h in the exact same system via USB for both. As my wife quickly stated to me - there was no comparison. The N10 sounded clearly superior to both of us. Immediately we decided to purchase the N10 even though the cost was significantly more expensive. We did listen to both on an excellent system so that may be we we heard more of a difference. Now just waiting for the N10 to arrive.

The N100H and the N10 have the same USB output, both have similar power supplies. I am glad you are happy with your purchase, but the no comparison comment is really hard to swallow. Were they both going through the same cable and dac ? If so how did you do a A/B comparison ?

Masterlu 08-13-2017 12:34 PM

https://sacredmargins.files.wordpres.../h61073963.jpg

:D

Timobi 08-13-2017 12:42 PM

:D

jdandy 08-13-2017 12:51 PM

Timobi.......Your McIntosh C2600 and MC452, along with your Martin Logan ESL 13a's make an excellent and highly resolving sound sound system. If you were to have both the Aurender N100H and the N10 music servers connected to your system at the same time, you would have no problem identifying the performance differences between the two servers with your system. Of course you would be listening to the N10 through the proprietary SPDIF output circuits that are supported by the ultra accurate oven controlled crystal oscillator clock (OCXO). This refined digital section of the N10 is what makes the difference in performance and is the primary reason for the cost difference over the N100H.

USB output from the N100H and the N10 will be quite similar, so if USB will be your only signal path between the C2600's DAC and an Aurender music server you may find yourself completely satified with the N100H. On the other hand, if you are seeking the highest performance and absolute lowest jitter, the Aurender N10 will certainly thrill you for many years every time you listen to it.

I doubt you would find yourself disappointed with either the N100H or the N10. Both music servers are receiving rave reviews from pundits and owners. Yes, the N10 is 2.85 times more expensive than the N100H. You will have to decide if the larger hard drives, larger solid state cache, additional isolated linear power supplies, the SPDIF output section (coaxial, Toslink, AES/EBU) along with its astonishing OCXO clock controlling the SPDIF digital outputs timing, the dual AMOLED screens, and the elevated performance are worth the price difference. In my humble opinion, the Aurender N10 is worth every cent.