AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Headphones, Personal Listening Gear (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=79)
-   -   New Headphone Amp (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=47717)

Jack in Wilmington 03-09-2020 07:58 PM

New Headphone Amp

I'd like to get a new headphone amp for the analog side of my system. Should I install it between the turntable and the phono pre, or between the Phono pre and the preamp. If there is a better idea I'm game. Thanks, Jack

HiFiGuy528 03-09-2020 08:45 PM

Does your Preamp have a LINE OUT or REC OUT? If yes, that is the best output to the hp amp.

Jack in Wilmington 03-09-2020 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HiFiGuy528 (Post 997850)
Does your Preamp have a LINE OUT or REC OUT? If yes, that is the best output to the hp amp.

I have a line out but it's currently being used by the other headphone amp I have in use on the digital side of my system.

mulveling 03-09-2020 11:57 PM

It's going to be better sound quality to come right out of the phono stage into the preamp. Otherwise you'll have the extra preamp circuitry and volume control in the signal path (a record or monitor out, as mentioned above, may bypass this circuitry). That said, if it's a big deal and you REALLY need the functionality and/or the extra gain of the preamp, it can be OK. I've tried it before (Rogue Hera II, Rogue RP-9, ARC Ref 6). I just always end up going back to the cleaner signal path.

If you need to convert SE outputs to XLR for a balanced headphone amp (some such headphone amps don't properly convert single-ended signals to balanced and will not sound their best), then Jensen makes some great ISO-Max transformers that will be more transparent than most preamps (even expensive ones). I've used these myself; they're great. You'll still need an extra set of interconnects, like with a preamp.

Do keep in mind that many headphones amps are built with one or two of the following in mind: 1. ability to support very sensitive IEMs, 2. expecting a really hot output digital source, especially on XLR inputs. This means that on many vinyl rigs, you will be running the headphone amp's volume control MUCH higher than you would for digital. This gets much worse if you choose low-sensitivity headphones; in fact it is possible to run out of volume travel.

Formerly YB-2 03-10-2020 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack in Wilmington (Post 997860)
I have a line out but it's currently being used by the other headphone amp I have in use on the digital side of my system.

Not sure I understand............ why two headphone amps if both your digital and phono-preamp feed your line preamp? Doesn't your line preamp selector allow you to select whichever input you wish to feed the line-out? If you want the digital feed, select that. If you want the phono feed, select same.

If that is incorrect, then direct from your phono-preamp to your headphone amp would take one step out of the chain. However, you should try with and without your line preamp as you might find you prefer to have it in the chain. Depends on what you hear.

Jack in Wilmington 03-10-2020 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 (Post 997905)
Not sure I understand............ why two headphone amps if both your digital and phono-preamp feed your line preamp? Doesn't your line preamp selector allow you to select whichever input you wish to feed the line-out? If you want the digital feed, select that. If you want the phono feed, select same.

If that is incorrect, then direct from your phono-preamp to your headphone amp would take one step out of the chain. However, you should try with and without your line preamp as you might find you prefer to have it in the chain. Depends on what you hear.

Glenn, I may be over thinking this. Right now my turntable feeds the phono pre and that in turn feeds my Cary preamp. I seem to be only able to get sound when I plug my headphones into the preamp directly. My headphones are very dependent on my headphone amp for good sound and without it in the chain I feel I'm missing something.

Jack in Wilmington 03-10-2020 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mulveling (Post 997883)
It's going to be better sound quality to come right out of the phono stage into the preamp. Otherwise you'll have the extra preamp circuitry and volume control in the signal path (a record or monitor out, as mentioned above, may bypass this circuitry). That said, if it's a big deal and you REALLY need the functionality and/or the extra gain of the preamp, it can be OK. I've tried it before (Rogue Hera II, Rogue RP-9, ARC Ref 6). I just always end up going back to the cleaner signal path.

If you need to convert SE outputs to XLR for a balanced headphone amp (some such headphone amps don't properly convert single-ended signals to balanced and will not sound their best), then Jensen makes some great ISO-Max transformers that will be more transparent than most preamps (even expensive ones). I've used these myself; they're great. You'll still need an extra set of interconnects, like with a preamp.

Do keep in mind that many headphones amps are built with one or two of the following in mind: 1. ability to support very sensitive IEMs, 2. expecting a really hot output digital source, especially on XLR inputs. This means that on many vinyl rigs, you will be running the headphone amp's volume control MUCH higher than you would for digital. This gets much worse if you choose low-sensitivity headphones; in fact it is possible to run out of volume travel.

I do notice that I have to crank up the preamp when playing vinyl compared to other sources.

Antonmb 03-10-2020 03:54 PM

Your Sutherland phono stage is not very high gain. Combine that with the low output Goldring, the Cary, and your headphone amp, and you may just not have enough overall gain to drive your headphones effectively. You may need to consider a headphone amp with higher gain/more power, or a phone stage with higher gain.

Since the Sutherland has only one set of outputs, you can’t go direct to the headphone amp unless you want to switch plugs when you listen to headphones. You might try that though as an experiment: plug your Sutherland directly in to the Musical Fidelity and see how it sounds. If you still find you don’t get enough output then you need to consider alternatives: a higher output phono stage or higher gain headphone amp.

Formerly YB-2 03-10-2020 07:35 PM

Have you tried feeding your headphone amp from the 'line out' on the preamp? If so, you should be able to select any input you wish. Start with your preamp volume at minimum and then play with the volume on both your preamp and (I assume) your headphone amp to get the best sound.

Jack in Wilmington 03-10-2020 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antonmb (Post 997937)
Your Sutherland phono stage is not very high gain. Combine that with the low output Goldring, the Cary, and your headphone amp, and you may just not have enough overall gain to drive your headphones effectively. You may need to consider a headphone amp with higher gain/more power, or a phone stage with higher gain.

Since the Sutherland has only one set of outputs, you can’t go direct to the headphone amp unless you want to switch plugs when you listen to headphones. You might try that though as an experiment: plug your Sutherland directly in to the Musical Fidelity and see how it sounds. If you still find you don’t get enough output then you need to consider alternatives: a higher output phono stage or higher gain headphone amp.

Could I use the line out on the headphone amp and run it into the AUX 1 on the preamp to complete the circuit?