AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Remote Control (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   RF Universal Remotes (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=42045)

dixon007 01-31-2018 09:01 AM

RF Universal Remotes

Looking to replace an out-of-date RF Universal remote system (URS MSC-400 base). My A/V set-up includes HT (MX 121 processor) with MVP891 or Oppo 205, cable, Panasonic Kuro TV, Apple TV and 2-channel (C2600 pass-through for HT) with Esoteric N-05 and G-02 (understand that it may not be possible to program it for Esoteric). Curious if anyone has a good replacement RF universal remote system solution they would recommend.

nicoff 01-31-2018 10:18 AM

I use Logitech Harmony.

vintage_tube 01-31-2018 10:35 AM

Quite popular as nicoff posted:

https://www.audioaficionado.org/show...versal+remotes

Best Sir,

Bob

PMCH 01-31-2018 10:44 AM

I also use a Logitech Harmony remote. For $50 you can't go wrong.

cleeds 01-31-2018 12:52 PM

I like the Harmony 650, too. But it's an IR remote, not RF.

PMCH 01-31-2018 01:14 PM

Looks like for RF you need the Harmony Ultimate at about $185 if you can't get IR to work.

GaryProtein 01-31-2018 01:41 PM

I'm interested in hearing other responses. I wanted RF because IR is impossible to aim at my components from where I sit in the room.

I have the MX1200 and MSC400 base because I wanted one remote. I needed a serviceman to program it for me since I'm "remotely impaired" (that was a bad pun). These are not easy to program unless you are a computer guru. After programming, it has to be tested on your system in person. You can't send it away with a list of your components and expect it to work properly when it is shipped back.

If you get this type of system unless you have many remotes you wish to consolidate and have a great number of functions you need on it and are really good at programming these things, which I am not, it will be overkill. If you change any components, you will need it re-programmed.

nicoff 01-31-2018 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GaryProtein (Post 896386)
I'm interested in hearing other responses. I wanted RF because IR is impossible to aim at my components from where I sit in the room.

I have the MX1200 and MSC400 base because I wanted one remote. I needed a serviceman to program it for me since I'm "remotely impaired" (that was a bad pun). These are not easy to program unless you are a computer guru. After programming, it has to be tested on your system in person. You can't send it away with a list of your components and expect it to work properly when it is shipped back.

If you get this type of system unless you have many remotes you wish to consolidate and have a great number of functions you need on it and are really good at programming these things, which I am not, it will be overkill. If you change any components, you will need it re-programmed.

The Logitech is one of the easiest to use and easiest to program. But you definitely have to have at some computer knowledge. Maybe a friend can help you set it up. Once it is set up properly, it should just work.
Maybe someone else can chime in with other options.

Antonmb 02-01-2018 03:18 AM

RF Universal Remotes

I’ve been using Logitech Harmony remotes for years. I currently use the Harmony Ultimate in my theater setup and the Harmony Companion in the bedroom. I find them easy to program and adjust with either a computer or an iPad, and not much in the way of special skills required. The handheld is comfortable and easy to use, and the iPhone/iPad app can control the system as well. The system actually works over Wi-Fi, not RF, and is pretty consistent.

dixon007 02-02-2018 10:02 AM

Thank you everyone for sharing your thoughts.