AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Video (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   Shopping for a new TV set. Need advice (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=40112)

KMC45 01-05-2018 08:23 PM

Tom,

I'm probably going to get the AIE1 to compare, then the loser get's a new home with a friend.

I should accept "just not the same" in regards to these TV's and the Pioneer so I won't be so bothered.

W9TR 01-05-2018 09:16 PM

I am using my Pioneer plasmas until they die. Or until the OLED panels get a wee bit better - they are very close now.

prepress 01-06-2018 07:23 AM

At last year's HDTV Shoot-Out, I got to see Sony's A1E and LG's E7 (top of the line OLEDs) side-by-side at the CE show in Manhattan. Either one is a keeper, but I thought the Sony had better video processing, while the LG had better color (the Sony's grass was a bit blue on scenes from Planet Earth; the LG's was green). Even Sony's LCD entry had better processing than the LG, in my view.

Still, when my Kuro dies I plan to replace it with an OLED. Which one, I'm not sure, only that it will have to be a 55", as that's what I have room for.

Msegal 01-06-2018 11:47 PM

I replaced my 65” Kuro when 4K first came out, the Pioneer died.
The plasma was better except for 4K.
I replaced it with the first 65” top end Sony, about $6K MSRP. It still works well.

An important point is OLED lacks enough brightness in a well lit room or to fully appreciate HDR. But the OLED blacks are better. In a room with well suppressed ambient light OLED wins, in an average room you may do better with the brightness of the LCD/LED.
The application may be important than the technology.

Food for thought.

KMC45 01-07-2018 01:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Msegal (Post 890967)
I replaced my 65” Kuro when 4K first came out, the Pioneer died.
The plasma was better except for 4K.
I replaced it with the first 65” top end Sony, about $6K MSRP. It still works well.

An important point is OLED lacks enough brightness in a well lit room or to fully appreciate HDR. But the OLED blacks are better. In a room with well suppressed ambient light OLED wins, in an average room you may do better with the brightness of the LCD/LED.

Food for thought.

What Pioneer Kuro was made in 65"?

Poppyhome 01-07-2018 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Msegal (Post 890967)

Food for thought.

My LG OLED is awesome and once calibrated to your liking is more than adequate in all kinds of lighting day or night, on-axis and off-axis, standard def, 1080p, 4K, and HDR. One of the most enjoyable purchases I have made.

I love it and recommend it without reservation.

Ron

Msegal 01-07-2018 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KMC45 (Post 890988)
What Pioneer Kuro was made in 65"?

Whoops, it was 60” not 65”. [emoji51]

BWLover 10-26-2018 02:21 PM

Man I wish I would have got a Kuro back in the day. I was young and didn't know about Kuro at the time. I bought a Pioneer PDP-5070HD. It's not a Kuro, but it's still going strong to this day!