AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Schiit (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=182)
-   -   Schiit Audio Yggdrasil Review (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=41915)

jdandy 05-03-2018 11:57 AM

TheMaestro335.......Jeff, welcome to Audio Aficionado. . :wave:

I agree with you. The Yggdrasil is an astonishing DAC that delivers an amazing view into a musical performance. It will continue to reveal even more of its holographic presentation as your hours accrue. In my review of the Schiit Audio Yggdrasil at post #1 in this thread you may have noticed I allowed the Yggy to operate with a signal through it for over 550 hours continuously, but I can tell you that the bulk of the break-in happened in the first 200 hours. Beyond 200 hours the Yggdrasil matures ever so slightly such that you may not even notice without paying very close attention using the same music over and over again as I did. I suggest you feed the Yggradsil a digital signal and let it do its thing for at least 200 hours non-stop. Then, leave the DAC energized 24/7 whether you are feeding it a digital signal or not.

You made a wise choice when selecting the Yggdrasil DAC. It is an especially rare audio component that provides an incredible level of audible pleasure.

TheMaestro303 05-03-2018 12:18 PM

Hello Dan,
Thanks for the quick reply. I have been-streaming music through the player for about 10hrs x9 days. So glad to hear I can continue to hear and in this case see more improvement! What are the areas that continue to improve? Imaging, bottom end, depth?

Regards
Jeff

jdandy 05-03-2018 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kenzoman (Post 913603)
Thanks for your comment, it’s very clear, i’m trying to find a MS with AES port, sb told me it’s amazing if we connect Ygg to that port. Would you like to suggest any one ?

Did you hear about the new MS from Roon labs?

kensoman.......I have read about the Nucleus by Roon Labs. I have zero interest in it or the Roon software. This thread is about the Schiit Audio Yggdrasil so please keep the focus on my original topic. Once you have past the 10 post probationary period you will be able to start a thread on your own topic.

jdandy 05-03-2018 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMaestro335 (Post 913656)
Hello Dan,
Thanks for the quick reply. I have been-streaming music through the player for about 10hrs x9 days. So glad to hear I can continue to hear and in this case see more improvement! What are the areas that continue to improve? Imaging, bottom end, depth?

Jeff.......Keep in mind you are not only acquiring break-in hours on the DAC circuits, you are also gaining break-in hours on the separate linear power supplies, and also the left and right channel analog output stages. There is a lot going on under the hood with many individual parts settling into their permanent operational states. What I noticed as my Yggdrasil hours advanced was a more accurately focused sound stage, an improvement in the blackness of the background that allowed the faintest micro details to be discovered, and an overall richer texture to human voices and the lowest octaves that created the impression of music being live versus recorded. The changes we refer to as break-in are not instantly apparent or dramatic. They are subtle and happen over a period of time in such a way that you feel yourself being pulled more effortlessly into the music. It is in these moments that you gradually become aware of exactly how sweet the Yggdrasil is opening up to reveal its secrets.

TheMaestro303 05-03-2018 12:51 PM

Thanks Dan,
I totally understand and agree with what you are saying. Especially with vocals. Much more life like, breathy sound. Comparing to what I heard on Friday to what I heard yesterday I experienced a major difference in depth and layering.

Regards
Jeff

Masterlu 05-03-2018 05:44 PM

TheMaestro335... Welcome to AA! :wave:

Masterlu 05-03-2018 05:45 PM

kenzoman... Welcome to AA! :wave:

Johnzz4 05-06-2018 02:07 PM

Received the upgraded analog 2 Yggy back on Wednesday and it’s been paying music since. Today is the 100 hour mark, and I’m very impressed with what I’m hearing. The last few days were a bit all over from woolly sounding at first to a bit strident on day two. Less strident on day three. Day four she is smooth as silk and the layering is emerging nicely. Original Yggy sounded a lot like day three. There is a new smoothness and body to the music with the analog 2. Very pleased and curious whether I’m going to see more change. This is one of the best audio quality returns for the money in a long time!

Masterlu 05-06-2018 05:15 PM

Johnzz4... Welcome to AA! :wave:

jdandy 05-06-2018 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnzz4 (Post 914033)
Received the upgraded analog 2 Yggy back on Wednesday and it’s been paying music since. Today is the 100 hour mark, and I’m very impressed with what I’m hearing. The last few days were a bit all over from woolly sounding at first to a bit strident on day two. Less strident on day three. Day four she is smooth as silk and the layering is emerging nicely. Original Yggy sounded a lot like day three. There is a new smoothness and body to the music with the analog 2. Very pleased and curious whether I’m going to see more change. This is one of the best audio quality returns for the money in a long time!

Johnzz4.......Welcome to Audio Aficionado. :wave:

Your upgraded Yggdrasil will continue to blossom as additional break-in hours are logged. Leave the DAC energized 24/7, even when not using it. During the break-in keep a digital signal going to the Yggy for at least the next 200 hours, either a CD on repeat, a music server repeating a playlist, or a stream from Tidal or the like. The rest of your system can be off but keep the Yggdrasil with a continuous signal on it for the next 8 days or so. After that time you will have achieved the lion's share of break-in and the Yggdrasil will reveal it's true potential. It is a fabulous DAC.