AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   CD Players, Digital Music & Servers (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   SONOS to no longer provide updates to legacy products (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=47474)

jameslrock 01-22-2020 09:57 PM

SONOS to no longer provide updates to legacy products

Received a notice that SONOS will no longer provide software updates to what they are calling "legacy" products as of May 2020. This means three of my four SONOS connects will no longer receive updates. After May they will still work up to the time that the music services will not operate due to hardware requirements. For me this means my Wyred4Sound modified SONOS connect in my main living room system that I bought from Ivan a few years ago will no longer receive updates. I really do not use it that much anyway now that I have the Aurender. I appreciate Ivan selling me the unit a few years ago as it was my streaming go to until the Aurender. It is still nice to have in the system to play the same music room to room when I have guests over. I can buy what SONOS is calling "modern" products at 30% off as an upgrade. I currently have "legacy" with the main system, the office vintage, and the family room home theater. The fourth one I gave to my son-in-law. Thoughts on this anyone? Thanks, Jim

crwilli 01-22-2020 10:33 PM

It stinks Jim. No way am I buying any new Sonos products. I plan to ride out their functionality to stream from my NAS for as long as possible. If they keep playing Qobuz as long, great. If not, so be it.

Cohibaman 01-22-2020 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crwilli (Post 993201)
It stinks Jim. No way am I buying any new Sonos products. I plan to ride out their functionality to stream from my NAS for as long as possible. If they keep playing Qobuz as long, great. If not, so be it.

My thoughts exactly!

Chad.Wagner 01-22-2020 11:06 PM

The end of an era...

jdandy 01-22-2020 11:47 PM

Who does Sonos think they are, Microsoft?

W9TR 01-22-2020 11:51 PM

Their ‘upgrade’ program was the first salvo.

This announcement is the next salvo.

Then comes no hardware support at all. This has already happened to the earliest Sonos hardware. And my iPad.

The good news is that all the Sonos devices are DLNA renderers so they can and do operate as such independent of any dodgy Sonos software updates.

Which means they work with programs like JRiver. I do this now and it works fine. I think they even work as Roon endpoints but I need someone to verify this as I have not yet switched to Roon.

I have really tired of the constant software updates that don’t provide any useful new features. We’re not voice assistant users. The last useful update for me was Room Tune.

No more Sonos for me. Too bad as I have a bridge, two connects (one w4s modded), a connect amp, a Playbar, and a Play 3.

Parabellum 01-23-2020 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdandy (Post 993209)
Who does Sonos think they are, Microsoft?

No... Apple.

nicoff 01-23-2020 12:56 AM

Some of these products were released many years ago. Some are over 10 year old. My first iPad was made obsolete long ago. Apple no longer supports it. What's the difference? It isn't like like these older products will stop working. They just can't work with the newer technologies. Heck, I got a A/V preamp that cannot do Atmos and the newer codecs. It can't be upgraded to the newer standards but it will still do what it was designed to do just fine.

clpetersen 01-23-2020 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicoff (Post 993217)
Some of these products were released many years ago. Some are over 10 year old. My first iPad was made obsolete long ago. Apple no longer supports it. What's the difference? It isn't like like these older products will stop working. They just can't work with the newer technologies. Heck, I got a A/V preamp that cannot do Atmos and the newer codecs. It can't be upgraded to the newer standards but it will still do what it was designed to do just fine.

Correct - the Sonos products will keep working as they do today.

Life with digital. Even the 60 year old NTSC television standard has been replaced. Changing out a Sonos will be 100x easier than changing out my Olive system (tough lesson learned).

Weirdcuba 01-23-2020 12:59 PM

I say this with all sincerity and not to start a digital v analog war, but one of the things I like best about my turntable is the lack of software updates (of course, it has its own requirements to fiddle).