AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Bryston Audio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=82)
-   -   Bryston bdp-3 Sweet Streamer! (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=49504)

blacsno 02-09-2021 12:09 AM

Bryston bdp-3 Sweet Streamer!

I must first say thank you Bryston for actually designing a product that
actually acknowledges the use of the Squeeze Server application. Damn...
It does sound good, very detailed and open in it's presentation. A little
bright for my taste maybe with more break-in time it will tone down. Otherwise it was the easiest install ever! Open box.... connect, power up.... select as a Squeezelite player...... POOF music!! I didn't have to change my infra structure!:D

Thanks

Here is my story on how I got here.....

It has been a frustrating 8 months trying to integrate my music library
as-is! In 2008 I made the decision to master my LP collection into 96Khz
aiff files uncompressed. My DIY streamer finally died after 10+yrs of
faithful service. I thought by now the audio industry would have made something better and wasn't USB solution only.

I tried Lumin....... It failed because it doesn't recognize uncompressed over 44.1 plus it didn't sound all that good!! DUMB. Then tried a Naim X2 ND5 that unit worked fine for TWO MONTHS. The play back was very detailed and warm in its presentation. Until a forced FIRMWARE update changed on how upnp functions with Squeeeze Server. Naim tech support was useless. I ask if I could just roll back their firmware to the prior release? NO! was their response...... But they countered with...... You can switch to Roon? What!? Why would I pay a monthly fee for the same features I've been using for years for FREE!? Okay..... You can buy our 3TB server. WHAT!? Why must I change from my server to your server product? Your Company reduced the unit functionality not me!!! Anyway it is unable to house my 5.7TB collection! Call ended with a promise to look into my concern. Yeah I can take the HINT!

Ken,

Masterlu 02-09-2021 12:26 AM

Ken... very glad to know you are enjoying your new BDP-3 :ok:

cleeds 02-09-2021 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blacsno (Post 1031903)
I must first say thank you Bryston ... It does sound good, very detailed and open in it's presentation. A little
bright for my taste maybe with more break-in time it will tone down. Otherwise it was the easiest install ever! ...

I agree with you about the BDP-3 - it's a fantastic streamer. I bought mine after losing patience with all of the issues I was having with my Aurender and my only regret is that I didn't dump the Aurender sooner. The Bryston is simply stable - solid as a rock! - and sounds great.

I don't find the BDP-3 to be bright, however. I am using a Wireworld cable on the USB out to a Bryston BDA-3, so perhaps that makes a difference. It sounds so good connected this way that I haven't bothered to experiment with other connection options.

The one complaint I've heard about the BDP-3 is about the Manic Moose interface. Let's face it: It isn't the most elegant, but that doesn't seem to be an issue for you. Improvements are supposedly in the pipeline. Those who want something better now should consider getting Rigelian, which is very inexpensive and works like a charm. It's only for i-devices, however.

blacsno 02-09-2021 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cleeds (Post 1031927)
The one complaint I've heard about the BDA-3 is about the Manic Moose interface. Let's face it: It isn't the most elegant, but that doesn't seem to be an issue for you. Improvements are supposedly in the pipeline. Those who want something better now should consider getting Rigelian, which is very inexpensive and works like a charm. It's only for i-devices, however.

Designing an interface is hard and time consuming development process. Their are options for streamers. The ones listed below are highly rated for their interface design

1.) iPeng (IOS only) oldie but a goodie.... my default for the iPad mini
2.) Sqeezepad (IOS only) it's okay....
3.) Orange Squeeze (Android only) Not sure..... but not available any more in the Google store. Available from website and you'll have to do a manual install. I use Orange Squeeze as my default player for my Android devices!
4.) Sqeezeplayer (Android only) again not available in store..... can be found on the internet.

I'll take a look at Rigelian. Never heard of them before.

Ken,

PHC1 02-09-2021 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blacsno (Post 1031903)
You can switch to Roon? What!? Why would I pay a monthly fee for the same features I've been using for years for FREE!?

Ken,

Ken, as the saying goes... You get what you pay for! https://youtu.be/bC3vpBxtLhE

blacsno 02-09-2021 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHC1 (Post 1031942)
Ken, as the saying goes... You get what you pay for! https://youtu.be/bC3vpBxtLhE

I watched and I repeat! :D I'm not knocking Roon at all! The Squeeze Server community over the years have provided the same level of functionalities prior to Roon existence. Roon is just doing all the up front leg work of configuration for their users. Again Roon and Squeeze Server are just databases.....!! But I do like Roon's pretty art work layout.

Ken,

PHC1 02-09-2021 01:56 PM

I am not a Squeezebox user so I can't make any comments of one vs the other but as a lifetime subscriber to Roon (it has already paid for itself so now it is free) the only I thing I would suggest is take it for a free trial for fun. You may get hooked as many others did. Roon is so much more than I can type here...

https://roonlabs.com/pricing

blacsno 02-09-2021 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHC1 (Post 1031947)
I am not a Squeezebox user so I can't make any comments of one vs the other but as a lifetime subscriber to Roon (it has already paid for itself so now it is free) the only I thing I would suggest is take it for a free trial for fun. You may get hooked as many others did. Roon is so much more than I can type here...

https://roonlabs.com/pricing

I did try it..... Hence why I don't understand a subscription is required. But I understand the Roon love......

gbaby 02-12-2021 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cleeds (Post 1031927)

The one complaint I've heard about the BDA-3 is about the Manic Moose interface. Let's face it: It isn't the most elegant, but that doesn't seem to be an issue for you. Improvements are supposedly in the pipeline. Those who want something better now should consider getting Rigelian, which is very inexpensive and works like a charm. It's only for i-devices, however.

I am sure you meant BDP-3 rather than BDA-3. But, I am curious, what is it about the Manic Moose interface that folks don't like? I for one just use Manic Moose for music selection. I don't look at the interface otherwise as I am trying to listen to the music. So, again, I am trying to find out what is is about Manic Moose that folks do not like?:scratch2:

cleeds 02-12-2021 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gbaby (Post 1032214)
I am sure you meant BDP-3 rather than BDA-3. But, I am curious, what is it about the Manic Moose interface that folks don't like? I for one just use Manic Moose for music selection. I don't look at the interface otherwise as I am trying to listen to the music. So, again, I am trying to find out what is is about Manic Moose that folks do not like?:scratch2:

Yes, I did mean BDP-3 and not BDA-3. Good catch, thank you! I edited the post to make the correction.

The Manic Moose interface just isn't as slick as some of the competition's software, such as Aurender. For example, the Qobuz functionality is extremely limited by comparison to Aurender's Conductor app, but the trade-off is more than worth it to me.