AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Acoustical Treatments (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Diffusers Added - definite improvement (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=47470)

Soundmig 01-21-2020 08:46 PM

Diffusers Added - definite improvement

6 Attachment(s)
I had all of my primary reflection points (plus all corners) treated, but was lacking something for the front wall (behind and between the speakers). I was looking for some diffusers and came across this add on Agon for a company I'd never heard of before - PI Audio Group. Long story short I ordered a set of their AQD1 diffusors (4 diffusers that are each 2' x 4'). Each pair are the mirror image of each other (see pics) and they are shipped interlocked with each other. Upon contacting the company they allowed me to pic my paint color (for a small up charge) and had them cut, painted and shipped to me all within about 10 days. Greg at PI Audio Group was very responsive and very helpful.
Since I was receiving four diffusers, I decided to put the mirror image pair in the rear of my room (behind the listening chair) to replace the thin absorption panels that I had there previously. Those absorption panels were then moved to help control ceiling wall interface on the back wall.
Once installed i was very amazed at the slight but real improvement in soundstage (width and depth) and the significant improvement in image specificity and definition of "space'. I "thought" it was really good before, but now the exact location of instruments in an orchestra is much more evident and with greater front to back location definition (as well as left to right). There also has been an improvement in timbre with the room having less "glare" than it had before installing these devices. The glare reduction is subtle but very audible. Funny thing is that I wasn't aware that there was a tiny bit of glare - until it was reduced (go figure).
Here's the kicker. 4 2'x4' panels custom painted a shipped all for under $300!!! I am real HAPPY.:thumbsup:
Quick Note: Greg at PI Audio Group said that they perfrom best (effective frequency extended down to near 200 Hz) if they are mounted 1" from the wall. So I did have to cut some 1"x2" strips to glue onto the back (w silcone caulk) in order to space them out from the wall. Fairly simple, but it was an extra step that took some time.

https://www.audioaficionado.org/atta...1&d=1579653075

https://www.audioaficionado.org/atta...2&d=1579653115

https://www.audioaficionado.org/atta...3&d=1579653134

https://www.audioaficionado.org/atta...4&d=1579653152

https://www.audioaficionado.org/atta...5&d=1579653177

https://www.audioaficionado.org/atta...6&d=1579653208

schneice 01-21-2020 08:54 PM

Congrats! Of what material are the diffusers made?

Masterlu 01-21-2020 08:56 PM

Nicely Done! :ok:

Masterlu 01-21-2020 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schneice (Post 993078)

Foam :yes:

Masterlu 01-21-2020 10:19 PM

I just bought 4 pairs of these to experiment with; thanks for the tip. :ok:

Soundmig 01-21-2020 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schneice (Post 993078)

It's a type of like styrofoam, but it's denser and stronger. They have a name for it I think??? Anyway - it works!

Soundmig 01-21-2020 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 993087)
I just bought 4 pairs of these to experiment with; thanks for the tip. :ok:

Your welcome ... looking forward to your results with them. I'd like to add two more pair - may do so at some point.

tweet 01-21-2020 10:50 PM

Well done! You have a great looking listening room. Enjoy the music. :thumbsup:

For The Love of Music 01-22-2020 12:18 AM

[emoji106]

Audiophilehi 01-22-2020 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 993080)
Foam :yes:

If they are made of foam would it be more of an absorber than a diffuser or a combination of both?

Masterlu 01-22-2020 12:52 AM

From their Ad;

Many people spend thousands on their equipment and never think of the room. Your room is the most important interconnect in your system. Diffusion is the best way to “open up” the sound of a system and improve image width, depth and specificity. For sale are two pairs of 2’ x 4’ AQD diffusers. This gives you two pairs of matched diffusers. One pair can be used between the speakers to create an image without reflections or glare. The second matched pair can be used in the rear of the room or in combination with absorption for first and second reflection points on the sidewalls. The diffusers are made of dense three pound foam. It has taken years to find a consistent supplier for this higher density foam.

carlthess50 01-22-2020 04:30 AM

What’s the cost of a pair?

Masterlu 01-22-2020 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carlthess50 (Post 993122)
What’s the cost of a pair?

2 pairs shipped $265

Audiophilehi 01-22-2020 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 993109)
From their Ad;

Many people spend thousands on their equipment and never think of the room. Your room is the most important interconnect in your system. Diffusion is the best way to “open up” the sound of a system and improve image width, depth and specificity. For sale are two pairs of 2’ x 4’ AQD diffusers. This gives you two pairs of matched diffusers. One pair can be used between the speakers to create an image without reflections or glare. The second matched pair can be used in the rear of the room or in combination with absorption for first and second reflection points on the sidewalls. The diffusers are made of dense three pound foam. It has taken years to find a consistent supplier for this higher density foam.

Can't seem to locate. Do have a link to their website?

carlthess50 01-22-2020 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Audiophilehi (Post 993144)
Can't seem to locate. Do have a link to their website?

Same here

maxsmart 01-22-2020 03:05 PM

https://piaudiogroup.com/

You'll see the site is under construction, so you'll likely have to use their "Get in Touch" method which you navigate to by their Contact Us link....

Audiophilehi 01-22-2020 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxsmart (Post 993156)
https://piaudiogroup.com/

You'll see the site is under construction, so you'll likely have to use their "Get in Touch" method which you navigate to by their Contact Us link....

Thanks Dean!!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

maxsmart 01-22-2020 04:36 PM

^^^ ^^^

Paul, you are welcome. Hopefully the information turns out to be useful.

MarSanz 01-25-2020 10:09 PM

Nicely done, your set up looks great. I may need to check these out, I have a few more areas to treat in my room.

Soundmig 01-26-2020 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarSanz (Post 993544)
Nicely done, your set up looks great. I may need to check these out, I have a few more areas to treat in my room.

Thanks ... I'm going to go get a color card for their standard color Behr "Swiss Coffee" to see how closely it matches my wall color. If its real close I may get a few more to "diffuse" more of the bare wall remaining above listening/eye level. The little bit of diffusion I did add did make the room "sound bigger" which is very desired in my very small (extra bedroom) listening space.
I didn't show it my pictures but at ceiling/wall interfaces I have corner killers and some "Flags" made with .4" thick compressed polyester absorption panels. I also have those panels treating the ceiling primary reflection point and rear wall/ceiling interface. The artwork show are all acoustimac absorption panels.

Mikado463 01-26-2020 04:46 PM

all good ! now get your speaker wire off your power strip ! sorry for being so anal ........

Soundmig 01-26-2020 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikado463 (Post 993639)
all good ! now get your speaker wire off your power strip ! sorry for being so anal ........

It's OK ... I deserved that one. I have so little space in my little listening room, that "stuff happens" :-)

Masterlu 01-26-2020 05:30 PM

I was notified that my Diffusers were painted today by Greg. :ok:

Soundmig 01-26-2020 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 993645)
I was notified that my Diffusers were painted today by Greg. :ok:

Woo Hoo!!!! I hope they survive the trip on FedEx all the way from NM. Mine only had to go from Central NM to W. Colorado, so .... I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!!!

Masterlu 01-26-2020 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundmig (Post 993670)
Woo Hoo!!!! I hope they survive the trip on FedEx all the way from NM. Mine only had to go from Central NM to W. Colorado, so .... I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!!!

Thanks!

Masterlu 02-01-2020 09:47 AM

My panels will be here this Monday, and I will be using this to hang them.

https://images.uline.com/is/image//c...1&icc=AdobeRGB

carlthess50 02-01-2020 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 994154)

Remember to spay both sides and let them dry 100% before you hang them

Masterlu 02-01-2020 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carlthess50 (Post 994187)
Remember to spay both sides and let them dry 100% before you hang them

:yes:

Soundmig 02-01-2020 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 994154)

I asked Greg about using that when I bought mine and he said not to use it. He said to use Siliconized Silicone (I used GE Silicone II Caulk) as the spray on stuff could harm the styrofoam. The GE product worked great. Greg also recommended that they be mounted 1" out from the wall (not directly on the wall) so I attached a couple of strips of 1" x 2" board to the back plus some stick on clear rubber feet to accomplish this and it worked out great. I'm sure that they will work glued to the wall, but the mfg. indicated better performance mounting with an air gap of 1" behind them (between the diffuser and the wall).

Masterlu 02-03-2020 04:38 PM

My Diffusers arrived today, but were so poorly packaged they were all damaged, and unusable. I would recommend staying away from this company until they get their act together.

Soundmig 02-03-2020 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 994403)
My Diffusers arrived today, but were so poorly packaged they were all damaged, and unusable. I would recommend staying away from this company until they get their act together.

Bummer! I hope they make it right for you. I had a very good experience with them, but mine only had to travel a few hundred miles. Sounds like they need to invest in more substantial packaging?

sfdude 02-18-2020 03:17 PM

PI Audio group makes great power solutions (have an older unit of theirs which does wonders for bringing down some power-related noises). Surprised their shipping of the diffusors is shoddy but hopefully Greg will make things right with them.

Soundmig 02-20-2020 09:25 AM

I spoke with Greg via email a couple days ago. He said that they have made the diffusers 1/8" smaller in dimension to make room for corner stiffeners (like a lot of speaker mfg's use). That should make them less susceptible to damage (especially corner crunching) than before.
They made such a difference in my room that i'm going to order another set (2 pair) next month.

crwilli 02-20-2020 11:58 AM

Is this a closed cell rigid polyurethane foam or polystyrene?

Soundmig 02-23-2020 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crwilli (Post 996036)
Is this a closed cell rigid polyurethane foam or polystyrene?

I don't know. Only thing that the owner stated in an e-mail to me is that it is a type of styrofoam (so polystyrene?).

crwilli 02-23-2020 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundmig (Post 996360)
I don't know. Only thing that the owner stated in an e-mail to me is that it is a type of styrofoam (so polystyrene?).

Yep! Thanks for the reply.

Audiophilehi 02-23-2020 10:10 PM

Wouldn’t polystyrene also absorb as well?

Soundmig 02-26-2020 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Audiophilehi (Post 996381)

Yes, they certainly seem to do both diffuse and absorb. The reason I spaced mine out from the wall (1" is what they recommend) was to extend the ab-fussion spectrum down to near the 200 Hz range. While i "doubt" that they are effective down to 200 Hz, they really work well and "sound" like they are broad band devices (relatively speaking). I'll have to do some measurements (sweeps) with them in the room vs not in the room to see what said measurements might reveal.

crwilli 02-26-2020 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Audiophilehi (Post 996381)

I would assume the polystyrene is closed cell and at that density will have a fairly hard smooth surface. Yes they may absorb the very highest frequencies but would for the most part reflect most. I would think it would act more like wood than polyurethane foam or fiberglass.

Audiophilehi 02-26-2020 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundmig (Post 996546)
Yes, they certainly seem to do both diffuse and absorb. The reason I spaced mine out from the wall (1" is what they recommend) was to extend the ab-fussion spectrum down to near the 200 Hz range. While i "doubt" that they are effective down to 200 Hz, they really work well and "sound" like they are broad band devices (relatively speaking). I'll have to do some measurements (sweeps) with them in the room vs not in the room to see what said measurements might reveal.

Quote:

Originally Posted by crwilli (Post 996579)
I would assume the polystyrene is closed cell and at that density will have a fairly hard smooth surface. Yes they may absorb the very highest frequencies but would for the most part reflect most. I would think it would act more like wood than polyurethane foam or fiberglass.

Thanks guys. :thumbsup::thumbsup: