AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Clearaudio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=135)
-   -   TT3 thoughts? (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=42544)

BillK 03-23-2018 05:26 PM

TT3 thoughts?

I've always liked the idea of linear trackers but you don't see too many reviews of the TT3 or even the TT2.

Any experiences here?

Weirdcuba 03-23-2018 08:45 PM

None here, but very interested. Lurk ...

kleinbje 03-26-2018 05:35 AM

lurking

Masterlu 03-26-2018 08:51 AM

I have a TT2 on another Innovation Wood Table.

https://www.maestrogarage.com/data/m...t/ca_tt2_7.jpg

mulveling 03-26-2018 11:29 AM

Gosh, that TT2 is one beautiful arm. And it's not just their linear trackers; it's a bit frustrating that all the Clearaudio arms lack exposure and coverage, despite seemingly dripping with top-notch engineering, immaculate build quality, and aesthetic beauty.

NZ421291 03-26-2018 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mulveling (Post 908154)
Gosh, that TT2 is one beautiful arm. And it's not just their linear trackers; it's a bit frustrating that all the Clearaudio arms lack exposure and coverage, despite seemingly dripping with top-notch engineering, immaculate build quality, and aesthetic beauty.

Isn't that due to the negative reviews published my Fremer in Stereophile?

I mean, Stereophile used to publish negative reviews, I have read that a negative review in Stereophile in the 80's of a Micro Seiki turntable DD Turntable basically sunk DD Turntables in the USA?

mulveling 03-26-2018 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NZ421291 (Post 908203)

I mean, Stereophile used to publish negative reviews, I have read that a negative review in Stereophile in the 80's of a Micro Seiki turntable DD Turntable basically sunk DD Turntables in the USA?

Ugh, I didn’t know that. Which CA arm or arms did he pan? The high-end review industry is nothing but needless drama and hot air.

80B 03-26-2018 09:51 PM

One of the turntable setup videos I watched a few weeks ago (might have been an article I read) had the commentator say that linear tonearms weren't truly tangential, and that they essentially have, for lack of better paraphrasing, back-and-forth-skating as they travel down the groove. Might have been Fremer, but some of these videos have kind of run into one another in my mind.

Not being an audio or mechanical engineer, I can't argue one way or another, but a linear TA would presumably have less skating force than a pivot tonearm. I certainly wouldn't let some nearly off-hand comment ditch an entire design scheme. Mike, you're absolutely right about the drama and hot air. Would be interesting to hear a shootout and let the sound determine the difference (not that one would necessarily be "better" than the other).

Hey Mike, wanna install a second, linear, tonearm on that Innovation Master? I'll bring over a six pack of your choice of brew!

vintage_tube 03-27-2018 03:30 PM

Quote:

I'll paraphrase here and not wanting to put words in anyone's mouth -- he said back in 1997 regarding linear tracking arms vs pivotal was both have inherent problems which the other does not have; but, in his opinion, generally speaking, linear tracking arms (at that time anyway) have more complicated inherent problems to overcome than those plaguing a pivotal arm.

Twenty years later -- dunno.

Personally, having an "inexpensive" linear tracker a number of years back I was never satisfied nor comfortable with it. Gave it a shot though & moved on.

Best Sir,

Bob

PS: 1997, VOL 20, #11 (if you can find it on line).

TWInsall 11-17-2018 04:45 PM

Back in the days of analog when the groove tracing wars were going on, even as imperfect as Rabco, Revox and B&O linear arms were , it was easy to prove a linear arm out performed a conventional arm. Just play Shure Tracking test records. The distortion was less audible, you could track a lighter pressures to get the same results as with pivoting arms. Even when distortion was created the needle of a linear arm cartridge stayed in the groove rather than taking off for a hop skip and jump across valuable LPs. We weren't as refined back then with everyone listening for phase distortion and timing errors. Though that said, I was talking to Paul Klipsch back in the early 70's and he much preferred two track tapes over LP's because of timing between to channels kept changing, and tracing and tracking issues of phono cartridges were always an issue. I had to agree.

Masterlu 11-17-2018 07:02 PM

My Innovation Wood w/ Linear Arm (recently sold to a fellow AA’r)

https://www.audioaficionado.org/atta...1&d=1430233456

SL1800 11-17-2018 08:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I recently set up a ClearAudio Innovation with the TT3 arm. That arm is fussy to setup and I’m afraid it will be fussy to maintain. But all in all it sounded great when finished.

Attachment 57191

The Lost Bears 11-17-2018 08:22 PM

I have always been a bit hesitant toward linear tracking arms. Do you know how the sound of the TT3 compares to ClearAudio's Universal arm? is there a worthwhile difference?

SL1800 11-17-2018 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Lost Bears (Post 940916)
I have always been a bit hesitant toward linear tracking arms. Do you know how the sound of the TT3 compares to ClearAudio's Universal arm? is there a worthwhile difference?

I have never heard the Universal arm. Hopefully someone else with more experience will chime in.

mulveling 11-18-2018 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SL1800 (Post 940914)
I recently set up a ClearAudio Innovation with the TT3 arm. That arm is fussy to setup and I’m afraid it will be fussy to maintain. But all in all it sounded great when finished.

Attachment 57191

That looks like the new TT-5, not the TT-3. Man, those tables looks stunning in any color configuration - but the all-black is very, very cool!

Though I have and very much like my Universal 12", unfortunately I haven't yet heard any of the linear trackers.

doggiehowser 11-18-2018 02:47 AM

I’ve got the Universal 9” in the shop but switching to the TT3 - waiting for the custom order. Let you know what I think :)

SL1800 11-18-2018 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mulveling (Post 940964)
That looks like the new TT-5, not the TT-3. Man, those tables looks stunning in any color configuration - but the all-black is very, very cool!

Though I have and very much like my Universal 12", unfortunately I haven't yet heard any of the linear trackers.

My bad, you are correct that is the TT-5

W9TR 11-18-2018 11:17 AM

This is a really interesting topic. I’ve used the Rabco arm and still have a B&O 4004 linear tracker but my 12” unipivot is working really well and sounds great......but I always liked the concept of linear tracking arms.

I’m very interested in your comparisons of the two!

Linear trackers theoretically eliminate the geometry problems of a pivoted arm which is only correct at the two null points and there is a lot of religion around which is the best geometry.

Linear arms eliminate this problem and also eliminate the offset angle and by doing so eliminate skating forces. That’s pretty neat.

However they raise their own set of problems. The short arm tube of a linear tracker has much higher sensitivity to changes in record thickness and resulting changes in VTA.

Most linear tracking arms have significantly higher mass in the horizontal plane than regular pivoting arms, and different mass in the horizontal and vertical planes. So compatibility with the compliance of some cartridges could be an issue. This greater horizontal mass can also mean greater deflection of the cartridge’s cantilever. Again, some cartridges will handle this better than others. The servo system used by B&O and others eliminates this issue to a great degree.

One thing I noticed with the Rabco and B&O arms is the record sounds the same at the beginning, middle, and end.

Tom

The Lost Bears 11-18-2018 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doggiehowser (Post 940970)
I’ve got the Universal 9” in the shop but switching to the TT3 - waiting for the custom order. Let you know what I think :)

Thanks! I also have a 9" Universal and would be very interested.

Masterlu 11-18-2018 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by W9TR (Post 940999)

Most linear tracking arms have significantly higher mass in the horizontal plane than regular pivoting arms, and different mass in the horizontal and vertical planes. So compatibility with the compliance of some cartridges could be an issue. This greater horizontal mass can also mean greater deflection of the cartridge’s cantilever. Again, some cartridges will handle this better than others. The servo system used by B&O and others eliminates this issue to a great degree.

You are ever so right, my TT2 is very beefy/heavy.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/22...g?v=1522199346

W9TR 11-18-2018 05:22 PM

She’s a beauty for sure!

mulveling 11-18-2018 08:13 PM

The ClearAudio designs actually seem to keep both horizontal & vertical effective moving masses low (and relatively similar) by attaching that small "stub" arm w/ headshell to a rails system. I think the downside here is need to keep the length of those rails clean over time, versus the non-issue this poses for a more traditional sealed/contained bearing. But air bearing linear trackers also have the issue of keeping clean.

I still have an ET2 linear air-bearing arm on an old Merrill Heirloom (in a closet unused now); that arm by its design definitely had a much higher horizontal moving mass. It was also a terror to use on a springy table like the Merrill without the optional silicon damping trough to calm down that frictionless air bearing with its high moving mass. However, when I could work up the nerve, it worked quite nicely with the old Ortofon Kontrapunkt series (medium-low compliance).

Formerly YB-2 12-07-2018 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SL1800 (Post 940979)
My bad, you are correct that is the TT-5

Any more updates on the TT5? Couple of reviews are positive, but do mention the necessity of a careful initial set-up. Wish they had a universal headshell to make swapping cartridges easy.

TWInsall 12-29-2018 01:11 PM

I have seen Freman videos and You tube videos of the air supported Bergmann linear tone arms. They look so classically simple. But with only two distributors in North America its a no go for me. I think it would be a real win if you could put a TT% on a SME model 15. The best of both worlds.

djcxxx 02-02-2019 03:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
One thing about quality audio gear that justifies the high price—if you take proper care it will last and sound great. The TT3 has been excellent overall.

kleinbje 02-04-2022 04:28 AM

I just picked up a TT3 along with an Innovation. I will mount my Universal 9" as well. I will run a DV XV1-T and Koetsu Azule platinum. Thoughts on best arm for each cart. Thanks. My first linear tracker, so any suggestions regarding set up and use appreciated.

Regards
Jeff

Formerly YB-2 02-04-2022 04:48 PM

Quote:

MF was pretty mucn nobody in the mid-80s. What sank TTs (all types from all mfgrs) was the "perfect sound" of CDs. We have learned better and TTs are back & streaming has turned the CD into a dodo.
My guess is the discriminating listener will keep vinyl alive & well as the various digital formats come & go.

mulveling 02-04-2022 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kleinbje (Post 1054711)
I just picked up a TT3 along with an Innovation. I will mount my Universal 9" as well. I will run a DV XV1-T and Koetsu Azule platinum. Thoughts on best arm for each cart. Thanks. My first linear tracker, so any suggestions regarding set up and use appreciated.

Regards
Jeff

The Azule might be in for a tough ride - Koetsus seem to like mass and stability. The TT3 looks like it has extremely low moving mass in both the vertical and horizontal. That can be OK in the vertical, to keep the resonant frequency positioned above most warps (like the Dynavector 507 arm does). But with low horizontal mass and low compliance - large bass modulations might just push the cart around, rather than generating the actual bass? At least the stone body has some mass on its own, which helps.

I tried a Koetsu Jade on my Clearaudio Universal 12" and though it sounded fairy dull, so carbon fiber wands might not be a great match either. But then if your Azule falls on the less warm side (for a Koetsu), then it might be an OK pairing. The Jade is warm, even for a Koetsu, and it was not a good match. I haven't heard an Azule yet so not sure where it falls. All the Koetsus do great on the Fidelity Research FR64fx / FR64S arms or a Graham Phantom (I have a Phantom II Supreme) - arms which don't really cost very much compared to your other hardware - probably worth investing in one of those, plus an armboard to get the most out of your beautiful Koetsu.

I expect the Dynavector cartridge should do nicely on both Clearaudio arms!

djcxxx 02-14-2022 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mulveling (Post 1054735)
The Azule might be in for a tough ride - Koetsus seem to like mass and stability. The TT3 looks like it has extremely low moving mass in both the vertical and horizontal. That can be OK in the vertical, to keep the resonant frequency positioned above most warps (like the Dynavector 507 arm does). But with low horizontal mass and low compliance - large bass modulations might just push the cart around, rather than generating the actual bass? At least the stone body has some mass on its own, which helps.

I tried a Koetsu Jade on my Clearaudio Universal 12" and though it sounded fairy dull, so carbon fiber wands might not be a great match either. But then if your Azule falls on the less warm side (for a Koetsu), then it might be an OK pairing. The Jade is warm, even for a Koetsu, and it was not a good match. I haven't heard an Azule yet so not sure where it falls. All the Koetsus do great on the Fidelity Research FR64fx / FR64S arms or a Graham Phantom (I have a Phantom II Supreme) - arms which don't really cost very much compared to your other hardware - probably worth investing in one of those, plus an armboard to get the most out of your beautiful Koetsu.

I expect the Dynavector cartridge should do nicely on both Clearaudio arms!

Agree. I would stick with Clearaudio or Benz for the TTS3. Compliance 14-15 range. I have a daVinci V2 on the TTS3 and it is an excellence match.

kleinbje 03-15-2022 01:48 AM

So unfortunately although it produces the best sound I ever heard by far, insanely jaw droppingly good, the TT3 Koetsu Azule is a no go. Despite being expertly set up by Mr Trei it still has way too many hangups. I really like the DVXV1 T on the 12inch Universal, but I wanted to see if anyone has used this combo before the install. Can you all recommend a great cart for this arm, because I love the sound. It is just captivating, with the Ruby, and the Koetsu which has maybe 7 hours, so should improve further. What's everybody's favorite Rock music carts for the TT3, I want to make this work?

mulveling 03-15-2022 01:17 PM

Even having just a brief time with an ET2 arm, think I know what you mean by the "captivating" sound of a linear tracker. You might as well go ahead and try either your Dynavector or Benz Ruby on it. This will tell you a lot about whether all the typical 15-16 compliance MC cartridges stand a good chance on it. The Koetsu was kinda doomed to have issues on this arm.

As far as new cartridges to try, I'd look at the Ortofon Verismo. I like the A90 a lot, and this looks like a supercharged version of A90/A95 with diamond cantilever.

Jeffk 03-24-2022 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mulveling (Post 1057269)
Even having just a brief time with an ET2 arm, think I know what you mean by the "captivating" sound of a linear tracker. You might as well go ahead and try either your Dynavector or Benz Ruby on it. This will tell you a lot about whether all the typical 15-16 compliance MC cartridges stand a good chance on it. The Koetsu was kinda doomed to have issues on this arm.

As far as new cartridges to try, I'd look at the Ortofon Verismo. I like the A90 a lot, and this looks like a supercharged version of A90/A95 with diamond cantilever.

I just installed a Charisma V2, tracks with no problem, very easy to set up, especially compared to the Benz and the Koetsu which just wasn't a good match. no matter how good it sounds when playing well. The Charisma isn't close, but it needs time to run in. Sounds great but you miss that huuuge SS. I think I miss the SUT, the MC16 does something special.I'm gonna have Michael Trei back to put the Koetsu on the 12 and tweak my Charisma set up. I'm sure that will reap rewards.http://https://scontent-bos3-1.xx.fb...5Q&oe=62425FA1

Jeffk 03-27-2022 08:17 PM

The Charisma is really improving. Very enjoyable and engaging. Still working on VTF, but this is a keeper. I already like it better than the Benz Ruby H I had used for a few weeks. I was definitely intimidated by using a linear tracker, but having lived with it for a few months, I am just as facile with it as my Universal. Not bad to set up either, WITH a Clearaudio cart only though.