AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Accuphase (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=154)
-   -   Just put up a quick review video on the DG-68 (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=49238)

SAM992 12-18-2020 06:24 PM

Just put up a quick review video on the DG-68

For anyone who wants to see this thing in action here's a quick video I threw together for YouTube.

In a nutshell, this thing is a game changer... maybe all DSP's are and I've just been missing out. The difference is more audible than any cable, interconnect or DAC has made to my listening experience thus far. Probably the best money I spent in a while in terms of direct SQ improvement for my tiny little listening room issues..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZTKdmevgkc

PHC1 12-18-2020 09:26 PM

Cool video and looking at the EQ display is fun but you did not mention much about the important function of the unit and that is the voicing of the system to the room.

Did you notice a big improvement? Is the sound more coherent, homogenized and musical in the room now? Smoother presentation? Did it result in bigger listening satisfaction?

Surely that's where the payoff is with this not inexpensive unit, not the EQ display. :scratch2:

I am sure that's what most folks considering a unit such as the DG-68 would want to know.

Masterlu 12-18-2020 09:50 PM

Sam... nicely done! ✅

SAM992 12-18-2020 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHC1 (Post 1025972)
Cool video and looking at the EQ display is fun but you did not mention much about the important function of the unit and that is the voicing of the system to the room.

Did you notice a big improvement? Is the sound more coherent, homogenized and musical in the room now? Smoother presentation? Did it result in bigger listening satisfaction?

Surely that's where the payoff is with this not inexpensive unit, not the EQ display. :scratch2:

I am sure that's what most folks considering a unit such as the DG-68 would want to know.

literally had about an hour or two playing around time with it when I posted that to show the Accuphase guys on Facebook.... there are a LOT of features that I still need to work out... the fascinating thing is the voicing and EQ are both two totally separated functions and mutually exclusive in how they function... I've since set up no less than 9 memories with various voicing and EQ settings... Some will work best for Jazz and Classical, some for hard rock and so on...

As to the basic "EQ/Voicing" room correction feature, its is absolutely the most noticeable change I have made to anything in terms of improvement .. moving the speakers being maybe the only thing having a larger effect (and in my case they sound better closer to the wall)..

The A/B sound difference is definitely in the corner of using the EQ/VC always... I can see no benefit to going flat, and frankly I cannot un-hear this improvement and it would suck to give it up now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 1025980)
Sam... nicely done! ✅

Ivan, this is a winner... anyone with any doubt as to whether they should get one, just send them to me or send them the video. :thumbsup:

PHC1 12-18-2020 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAM992 (Post 1025981)
literally had about an hour or two playing around time with it when I posted that to show the Accuphase guys on Facebook.... there are a LOT of features that I still need to work out... the fascinating thing is the voicing and EQ are both two totally separated functions and mutually exclusive in how they function... I've since set up no less than 9 memories with various voicing and EQ settings... Some will work best for Jazz and Classical, some for hard rock and so on...

As to the basic "EQ/Voicing" room correction feature, its is absolutely the most noticeable change I have made to anything in terms of improvement .. moving the speakers being maybe the only thing having a larger effect (and in my case they sound better closer to the wall)..

The A/B sound difference is definitely in the corner of using the EQ/VC always... I can see no benefit to going flat, and frankly I cannot un-hear this improvement and it would suck to give it up now.

Ivan, this is a winner... anyone with any doubt as to whether they should get one, just send them to me or send them the video. :thumbsup:

Well alright! That sounds like you are having fun and enjoying the music. Who says it has to be accurate or faithful to the source or that a bit of fun EQ is not allowed? It's about getting closer to music and enjoying it, not that you are reviewing or mastering a new album in the studio. Have fun with it Sam. :music:

SAM992 12-18-2020 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHC1 (Post 1025988)
Well alright! That sounds like you are having fun and enjoying the music. Who says it has to be accurate or faithful to the source or that a bit of fun EQ is not allowed? It's about getting closer to music and enjoying it, not that you are reviewing or mastering a new album in the studio. Have fun with it Sam. :music:

thanks... yeah, never bought off on the whole no-eq thing... but then you know I don't buy off on a lot of stuff that others do :thumbsup:

PHC1 12-18-2020 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAM992 (Post 1025989)
thanks... yeah, never bought off on the whole no-eq thing... but then you know I don't buy off on a lot of stuff that others do :thumbsup:

No two speakers ever sound the same way and not even the same speakers sound the same in different rooms... Yet we argue about staying faithful to the source? :D

This hobby gets seriously boring if one gets too anal about things. It's all about the music and having a good time listening. Whatever that means to each individual and whatever path they decide to take to get there.

Having the means to flatten out the curve of the speaker to room interaction is of course a positive as long as the processor does not take away from the listening experience and it sounds like that is not an issue.

SAM992 12-18-2020 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHC1 (Post 1025990)
No two speakers ever sound the same way and not even the same speakers sound the same in different rooms... Yet we argue about staying faithful to the source? :D

This hobby gets seriously boring if one gets too anal about things. It's all about the music and having a good time listening. Whatever that means to each individual and whatever path they decide to take to get there.

Having the means to flatten out the curve of the speaker to room interaction is of course a positive as long as the processor does not take away from the listening experience and it sounds like that is not an issue.

Exactly... don't get me started, I don't want to turn this thread into a rant, but if anyone is open to EQ and room correction, this thing is the gold standard.

Masterlu 12-18-2020 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAM992 (Post 1025991)
Exactly... don't get me started, I don't want to turn this thread into a rant, but if anyone is open to EQ and room correction, this thing is the gold standard.

I have owned them all McIntosh, Lyngdorf, Trinnov, etc. As Sam said, the Accuphase DG68 is truly the Gold Standard. There is good reason why it is priced as high as it is.

It makes some competitors models look/sound like toys.

SAM992 12-18-2020 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 1025995)
I have owned them all McIntosh, Lyngdorf, Trinnov, etc. As Sam said, the Accuphase DG68 is truly the Gold Standard. There is good reason why it is priced as high as it is.

It makes some competitors models look/sound like toys.

Put it this way, over on another forum which is filled with very cynical guys hell bent on proving that most audiophile stuff is "snake oil" and over priced for what you get, they are drooling on Accuphase as a brand and this DSP specifically right now...

My only wish is that I can find a way to pull off a C-3900 (or maybe 3850) and a 60W Class A amp to go with it some time in the near future and trade in my McIntosh stuff..