AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Power Conditioners (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Do you connect your amp to your power conditioner? (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=8546)

prepress 06-12-2011 05:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dpgstereo (Post 172051)
Do you think a power conditioner is more effective on the front end or back end of your system? I had an issue with my MC134 locking up before I added a power conditioner. Voltage swing. After I added a power conditioner, no more issues. However, not sure if I can hear a differance with my 1201's connected to a power conditioner?

For me, protecting the equipment is the prime concern. I didn't know (or care, particularly) about sound improvements at first. A good conditioner will clean up and stabilize power from the wall, allowing you to hear what the equipment is doing. My one experience is hearing a VPI table with and without a PLC. The difference was that with the PLC the sound was cleaner. No grunge. So today, my Furmans go into the wall, and my equipment into the Furmans.

bodiezaffa 06-24-2011 03:52 PM

Since the PS Audio PPP is replaced by the P5/P10, there are some good deals going on with the outgoing version.
I auditioned one last night but found the soundstage to implode a bit. On the plus side, I felt the overall sound to be a bit less harsh but in my case, the negative outweighed the positive.
My retailer then demonstrated a Transparent PowerBank 6. I thought it was just a surge protector but I was wrong. I noticed an immediate improvement in soundstage and felt the seperation between instruments were more defined.
At ˝ the price of the PPP (PPP was $1200 on blowout) I took the PowerBank 6 home to discover it made the same gains in my own system.
Perhaps the electricity is cleaner where I live, Im not sure. Nonetheless, I give :thumbsup::thumbsup: to the P6 from Transparent.

Still-One 06-24-2011 04:13 PM

I have tried my 1.2k's both direct and each one thru its own dedicated PPP. I think I get a bit more detail with the PPP's in the line while losing a bit of dynamics or impact, but not enough to worry about. I might try the Transparent Powerisolater MM2 on my amps too.

I don't like the PPP's on my sources when compared to my APC S-15, both in sound and since I lose the battery back-up protection for my MS-300 and Olvie 4HD. If my APC unit ever goes I may try one of the PurePower units.

Jim

SRT-10 Viper 06-24-2011 07:14 PM

I have a room that doesn't have dedicated power. What would be better, adding 2 20 amp dedicated circuits or have purepower 2000 driving my system?

bodiezaffa 06-24-2011 11:36 PM

From what I have read about purepower, it seems to offer all the filtering of dirty electricity without limiting the sound quality.

I think the real question is how dirty is your incoming power.

A good analogy would be - If a water filter is fed pure water, what more can the filter do ?

Ritmo 06-24-2011 11:41 PM

Chuck,

I added two dedicated 20A lines earlier this year. While I was at first somewhat skeptical, I went ahead and paid for a professional installation. The difference in sound was significant.

Now, I have not upgraded yet to a PP2/3000 or PPP or Shunyata Hydra V2. That's in the near future.

So, I cannot comment on one vs the other.

Mike

TommyC 06-25-2011 12:16 AM

The PurePower can provide constant clean 120V to your gears. It also provides more juice than the dedicated line due to its internal battery.

Removed 06-25-2011 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SRT-10 Viper (Post 174897)
I have a room that doesn't have dedicated power. What would be better, adding 2 20 amp dedicated circuits or have purepower 2000 driving my system?

My experience with both scenarios......

Better = PurePower
Best = Deicated lines and PurePower

Rod#S 08-05-2011 10:45 AM

From the wall I go to a Furman SPR-20i which I have a few units plugged into (PS3, Paradigm Servo 15a, old VCR, old dual dual cassette deck, original Xbox) and then I have my Furam IT-Reference plugged into the SPR-20i. Into the IT-Reference I have the following connected, Denon DVD-A1UDCI, Lexicon MC-12BV5EQ, Pioneer Elite PRO-150FD, Xbox 360, Sony 300 disc cd changer, Paradigm Reference Servo 15a, 2 Bryston 4B-SST amps, Bryston 6B-SST and a HD PVR. The only unit I have plugged into the wall is my Paradigm Signature Sub 25.

Rod

Rilands 08-05-2011 04:59 PM

Directly to the wall.