AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Wyred 4 Sound (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=166)
-   -   Wyred 4 Sound Recovery Review (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=35237)

Timobi 08-18-2017 12:50 PM

Dan, What are your thoughts on adding this to a system vs upgrading ones USB cable? Or I guess it could be both. ;)

I know USB cables can cost more than this Wyred 4 Sound Recovery.

jdandy 08-18-2017 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timobi (Post 862511)
Dan, What are your thoughts on adding this to a system vs upgrading ones USB cable? Or I guess it could be both. ;)

I know USB cables can cost more than this Wyred 4 Sound Recovery.

Tim.......There is no doubt that the Femto clock in the W4S Recovery reduces jitter before the digital data enters the DAC, but I think a quality USB cable is essential in maintaining the data packet flow as contiguous as possible. I doubt a cheap USB printer cable used with a Recovery will perform at or near the quality level a Wireworld Silver or Platinum USB cable with a Recovery. Like almost everything in audio, the weakest link will generally create a performance bottleneck.

Timobi 08-19-2017 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdandy (Post 862531)
Tim.......There is no doubt that the Femto clock in the W4S Recovery reduces jitter before the digital data enters the DAC, but I think a quality USB cable is essential in maintaining the data packet flow as contiguous as possible. I doubt a cheap USB printer cable used with a Recovery will perform at or near the quality level a Wireworld Silver or Platinum USB cable with a Recovery. Like almost everything in audio, the weakest link will generally create a performance bottleneck.

Thx Dan...thats what I figured. And I imagine the Recovery would be a good complimentary partner for a quality USB cable.

PHC1 01-06-2018 04:09 PM

I added a W4S Recovery with the iFi power supply this morning. I am using it for the DAC module in my Violectric V281 amp. Since I can switch back and forth between the inputs with the remote control of the V281 amp, I can easily compare the two DACs. The Schiit Gumby and the V281 DAC module. While the W4S did virtually nothing for the Schiit DAC that already has a great re-reclocking USB circuitry, the V281 DAC did benefit quite a bit from the W4S Recovery box.

If before the two DACs were a drastic difference across the board and very apparent, now the V281 DAC module sound quality is within a cat whisker of the performance of Gumby. Just goes to show how much we are leaving on the table with USB inputs if we don't address the USB stream properly.

For the money, the W4S is a very big upgrade for any DAC that can benefit from a cleaner, re-clocked and buffered USB stream. :yes: