AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Wyred 4 Sound (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=166)
-   -   Wyred 4 Sound Recovery Review (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=35237)

Randy Myers 04-09-2016 11:44 PM

Not a bad suggestion. There are a ton of small teaks that in and of themselves probably will not make a difference, but as a whole they definitely do.

I believe that my computer will perform as a music server virtually as good as any that are single purpose machine out there. All of these small tweaks together along with concentrating on making the machine a single purpose (to me a headless Roon server) with top of the line power supply... I am very happy with my digital music server capability.... and having two computers dedicated to it seems like over kill, but I love the way it all works together :)... (actually three computers if you count the one that is a dedicated music server in the headphone system)...

djwhog 04-10-2016 01:18 AM

There are a few others on the dac driver per your driver etc, I will try and post those too in a day or so :)

djwhog 04-11-2016 11:24 AM

I was curious on the board and some dac issues even though Dan and others with the K03 have no issues.

Reply:
Hi David, All new Recovery's come with the updated board. You’re good to go.

Thanks,
Tony Holt
Wyred 4 Sound

2fastdriving 04-11-2016 11:41 AM

I just ordered one of these to see what the fuss is about.

What does the computer see...the K-03 or the Recovery? I ask because I am stuck with an old version of MacOS, I can't upgrade because the K-03 doesn't support it. I am wondering if I can upgrade my Mac with the Recovery in circuit.

audio bill 04-11-2016 02:18 PM

If it works as expected the Recovery should be transparent and your computer should still see the K-03 with no changes required. Unfortunately when I tried the initial version in my setup the Bricasti M1 DAC disappeared from the system as if it was disconnected. I got frustrated at that point and decided to pass on trying the revised version which I was offered. I had no such problem with the UpTone Audio Regen.

2fastdriving 04-11-2016 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by audio bill (Post 773295)
If it works as expected the Recovery should be transparent and your computer should still see the K-03 with no changes required. Unfortunately when I tried the initial version in my setup the Bricasti M1 DAC disappeared from the system as if it was disconnected. I got frustrated at that point and decided to pass on trying the revised version which I was offered. I had no such problem with the UpTone Audio Regen.

Ah OK, it won't help me with that problem then.

jdandy 04-12-2016 06:39 PM

The iFi iPower 9 volt power supply arrived today. I removed the Recovery's stock 9 volt power supply and am now powering the Recovery with the iFi iPower unit. I have it plugged into the PS Audio Dectet which is powered by the PurePower 2000 AC regenerator. It is getting clean power so the iFi iPower shouldn't have to be working too hard to keep the 9 volts DC feeding the Recovery clean and pure.

Listening to the 24Bit/96KHz download of Norah Jones - Come Away With Me sounds amazing. On the tune "One Flight Down" I am hearing even greater delineation between instruments and her voice. There is an accordion than enters the left channel that seems better defined than before and not homogenized in the least into Norah's piano chords. The piano notes are delivered in a striking and dynamic manner that authentically replicates live piano. On "Lonestar" the same accordion floats behind Norah's voice in a depth that clearly has it localized behind her. The soundstage is remarkable. Each tune on this recording sounds fresh and new to me.

Even though I have been listening to the Wyred 4 Sound Recovery for well over 150 hours, I sense that the addition of the iFi iPower 9 volt power supply has elevated the performance. I would not call it dramatic, but I would call it worthwhile. With each addition to the factory supplied set up, i.e. the 1/2 meter Wireworld Platinum Starlight USB cable in place of the short stock USB cable, and the addition of the iFi iPower 9 volt power supply, there have been gains made to the soundstage width and depth, the clarity, the dynamic intensity of instruments, and an overall advance in the sensation that the performance is alive in the room. All in all I am pleased to have purchased the Wyred 4 Sound Recovery and the improved USB cable and power supply. The totality of improvements in the digital playback of high-res music from my laptop computer has been worth the investment. This little upgrade is complete and I am quite pleased with the results.

djwhog 04-12-2016 07:37 PM

Good to know Dan, thanks! Congrats too and thanks for the new quick review as well. :)

Mine should be here on Thursday and the power next Monday.
I am going to chill all weekend and get it running 24x7 on Thursday to break in.

Masterlu 04-12-2016 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdandy (Post 773542)
The iFi iPower 9 volt power supply arrived today. I removed the Recovery's stock 9 volt power supply and am now powering the Recovery with the iFi iPower unit. I have it plugged into the PS Audio Dectet which is powered by the PurePower 2000 AC regenerator. It is getting clean power so the iFi iPower shouldn't have to be working too hard to keep the 9 volts DC feeding the Recovery clean and pure.

Listening to the 24Bit/96KHz download of Norah Jones - Come Away With Me sounds amazing. On the tune "One Flight Down" I am hearing even greater delineation between instruments and her voice. There is an accordion than enters the left channel that seems better defined than before and not homogenized in the least into Norah's piano chords. The piano notes are delivered in a striking and dynamic manner that authentically replicates live piano. On "Lonestar" the same accordion floats behind Norah's voice in a depth that clearly has it localized behind her. The soundstage is remarkable. Each tune on this recording sounds fresh and new to me.

Even though I have been listening to the Wyred 4Sound Recovery for well over 150 hours, I sense that the addition of the iFi iPower 9 volt power supply has elevated the performance. i would not call it dramatic, but I would call it worthwhile. With each addition to the factory supplied set up, i.e. the 1/2 meter Wireworld Platinum Starlight USB cable in place of the short stock USB cable, and the addition of the iFi iPower 9 volt power supply, there have been gains made to the soundstage width and depth, the clarity, the dynamic intensity of instruments, and an overall advance in the sensation that the performance is alive in the room. All in all I am pleased to have purchased the Wyred 4 Sound Recovery and the improved USB cable and power supply. The totality of improvements in the digital playback of high-res music from my laptop computer has been worth the investment. This little upgrade is complete and I am quite pleased with the results.

Dan... I haven't had time to post my listening impressions since I added the iPower to all of my Recovery units. I will agree with your assessment and say that you are spot on.

Everything was bumped up just a bit more, making this a nice & well deserved add on. Nice packaging, and accessories included with the iPower too! ;)

jdandy 04-12-2016 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djwhog (Post 773549)
Good to know Dan, thanks! Congrats too and thanks for the new quick review as well. :)

Mine should be here on Thursday and the power next Monday.
I am going to chill all weekend and get it running 24x7 on Thursday to break in.

Dave.......You are going to be in for a treat. I know you have expressed some apprehension about the Recovery being able to do what many owners have claimed but trust me, this will be an eye (ear) opening event for you.