AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Schiit (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=182)
-   -   Need some opinions on streaming (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=50826)

rjinaz86323 02-03-2022 07:29 PM

Need some opinions on streaming

I realize this is pretty low end equipment for most of you, but thought maybe you had been there in the past and could offer an educated opinion. Keep in mind my budget is VERY limited (under $1K)

I am getting into streaming music. Currently using Amazon Music Unlimited which provide HD and Ultra HD. My current setup is using a Mac Mini USB uotput to a Schiit Modi 3+ into my MX130. Here are my questions for an improvement in sound

1. replace the Mac Mini with a Bluesound NODE (either using the internal DAC or run it through the MODI?
2. Keep the Mac Mini and upgrade the Schiit MODI to something else?
3. Run a different brand Streamer than the NODE?

Thx

JoeN 02-03-2022 07:32 PM

I can’t help you on that particular equipment, but IMO you would receive better sound quality from Qobuz.

Antonmb 02-03-2022 09:17 PM

I think the first priority is to get the computer out of the chain, so the Bluesound would be my first choice if you’re sticking with Amazon. If you can stretch your budget a little, the next step would be to upgrade the DAC to something like the Schiit Bifrost.

Joe’s right, you’ll get better sound quality from Qobuz, but I’d argue you won’t hear that difference with your current setup anyway.

Puma Cat 02-05-2022 03:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjinaz86323 (Post 1054691)
I realize this is pretty low end equipment for most of you, but thought maybe you had been there in the past and could offer an educated opinion. Keep in mind my budget is VERY limited (under $1K)

I am getting into streaming music. Currently using Amazon Music Unlimited which provide HD and Ultra HD. My current setup is using a Mac Mini USB uotput to a Schiit Modi 3+ into my MX130. Here are my questions for an improvement in sound

1. replace the Mac Mini with a Bluesound NODE (either using the internal DAC or run it through the MODI?
2. Keep the Mac Mini and upgrade the Schiit MODI to something else?
3. Run a different brand Streamer than the NODE?

Thx

So, just help me understand as your post is somewhat ambiguous....you are streaming using a Mac Mini as your music server and then connecting directly via a USB cable to a Schitt Modi 3 DAC, is that correct?

If so, the problem is you're connecting a very dirty device (the Mac Mini) directly to your DAC, and all that implies (and I could write a graduate thesis on the problems this presents). So...that is a BIG no-no.

My advice would be:

1) Keep the Schiit Modi 3 DAC. Nothing wrong with that.

2) locate your Mac Mini well away from your Schiit Modi 3 DAC that is in your audio rack.

3) Get a Sonore microRendu network bridge or iFi Zen Streamer for $399. If you can't afford the microRendu or iFi Zen, get a Raspberry Pi4 instead.

4) Connect the Mac Mini (that is located somewhere else other than the audio rack) to your router or network access point with a Supra Cat 8 Ethernet cable.

4) Also connect the microRendu network bridge or the iFi Zen Streamer to your network with a Shunyata Venom Ethernet cable. If you can't afford that, use a Supra Cat 8 Ethernet cable.

5) Connect the network bridge or streamer to your DAC with a quality, audiophile-grade USB cable*.

*–Bonus upgrade: If it's in your budget, use a Shunyata Delta USB cable to connect the microRendu or iFI Zen to the Modi 3. It will smoke everything else in it's price class and above, up to about $1500.

These changes will make for a big improvement in audio quality.

Antonmb 02-05-2022 11:31 AM

Stephen, does the Rendu do Amazon music now? I haven’t checked mine lately.

Puma Cat 02-05-2022 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antonmb (Post 1054766)
Stephen, does the Rendu do Amazon music now? I haven’t checked mine lately.

Yup.

Antonmb 02-05-2022 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puma Cat (Post 1054771)
Yup.

Cool, then that’s a better option than the Bluesound.

PeterMusic 02-05-2022 12:37 PM

Hi rj--no judgments on budget from me, it's cool that your dedicated to great sound. But $1,000 is tight. Most important point of all is to take hypotheses from randos online (like me) but then test for yourself before committing.

Happily, it's easy to test Anton's suggestion that you should replace the Mac with the Node. If your local boutique dealer has a demo unit he can loan you, try that first. Or order one from Best Buy and send it back if it does not help.

Prior to doing that, check online for various ways to optimize sound from a Mac Mini, and also try out Qobuz.

While you are comparing Node to Mac, note that you can use internal Node DAC or you can use external DAC.

Personally, I think your best bet is a $1,000 DAC from Schiit in conjunction with an optimized Mac. You can try this at the same time as the Node, and return the one that makes the least improvement.

Good luck--make sure to report back on your results!

clpetersen 02-05-2022 12:57 PM

Stephan -
to your list I would add the SOtM SMS-200 Network bridge. (have one). Well-constructed and runs very cool. I understand older micro-Rendus ran pretty hot - has this been resolved? The 1.5 version looks great on the Small Green Computer site.

Also, why Cat8? - it is pretty thick cable.

rjinaz86323 02-05-2022 01:30 PM

I have one wildcard I forgot to mention. I do not have hard wire access to the internet. It is all done over WIFI. Would be a MAJOR project to get hardwire to where my audio gear is. I would think this might have significant impact on all your suggestions. Sorry I forgot to mention it.